• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Toy: Mossberg 590

Nice shotgun.

I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 home defense myself and it's very similar.
I bought the heat shield for mine but did not like it as you can easily cut the heck out of your hand and fingers on it when racking the slide so I took it off.

I prefer a pump because they are more reliable and have no issues with mixed and matched ammo and specialty ammo.

With that said though, my next shotgun will most likely be a Saiga in 12, 20 or 410 guage. You gotta love a SG based on the AK. That will round out my AK collection quite nicely LOL.

Im pretty much broke by Christmas now though so will be a while before I can buy any more goodies. I got a new car for my Wife and my savings are now non-existant so need to build that back up first.

Upvote 0
It's not really that sharp but it does get in the way. It's not really needed anyway. If 6 shells of OO buckshot is not enough to deter a home invader then Im in real trouble. I doubt I would have time to burn my hand on the barrel anyway.

The HS just added a certain "coolness" factor and nothing more.

I decided it looked a little too cheezy and just had to go. It was only getting in the way anyway.

Upvote 0
My brother has a Winchester "Cop Shotgun"... I can't recall the exact model number. He put two slugs in a row through the black at about 30-40 meters. One of the two actually hit the X, I was surprised at the accuracy, especially since the sight consists of a single bead in the front, and nothing in the rear.

It was a blast shooting empty propane and white gas cylinders in the desert. Slugs go straight through. Kaboom!! :cool:

Upvote 0
Yeah, it's not that hard to hit an 8" target at 50 yards offhand with a decent shotgun. I don't think most people realize how far you can reach with slugs...

First time I touched a shotgun in years, a semi-auto Benelli or Beretta... something Italian, anyway... put a slug through the black on the 50 yard line. Standing up.

Winchester 870P I think is the model you're looking for?

Upvote 0
1586791078.jpg

Duke?

Upvote 0
I like my Remington 870. Personally I just think the action is slightly superior to that of the Mossberg, but that it me. I could have saved some cash and gone with the Chinese knock off that had the heat shield and other bells and whistles but with a Remington you know what you are getting, not so with Uncle Chan's Discount Shotgun.

I snapped a Hi Viz fiberoptic sight on mine right in front of the bead. It snaps right over the barrel and makes a huge difference in being able to pick up the sight in low light as it focuses all available light straight at your eye. In daylight is it a large orange dot that is easy to pick up. Even with just that front site I can keep slugs on target at 100 yards, although in the home 00 2 3/4" is the load of choice. No magnums needed and my wife doesn't like them. I also am not a fan of the sling in the house as it is too easy to catch on something coming out of the closet. The gun is for my wife to use in an emergency, I depend on my 1911 in 10mm with night sites and a small tactical lite in the off hand.

I would seriously advise against using a bayonette. If you are invovled in a shooting it is possible you may face a criminal or civil trial (depends on the laws of the state you are in). Such things as bayonettes, books lying around the house entitled "How to Kill" and other such nastiness can cause a real problem in court. While not illegal they will be used to paint you as some sort of Rambo wannabe who was looking for a chance to kill someone. It has happenned before, will again, and good people have paid the price for it.

Upvote 0
Nice shotgun.

I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 home defense myself and it's very similar.
I bought the heat shield for mine but did not like it as you can easily cut the heck out of your hand and fingers on it when racking the slide so I took it off.

I have a Mossberg Maverick as well for home protection. For birds or clays though I stick with my Beretta AL391 Urika Optima. I've caught some s**t at local clay tournaments for using an auto rather than an over/under, but me and my bud usually clean up on the flurry matches which shuts them up quickly. 2 men, 2 minutes, 50 clays. You gotta load fast and shoot faster. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would seriously advise against using a bayonette. If you are invovled in a shooting it is possible you may face a criminal or civil trial (depends on the laws of the state you are in). Such things as bayonettes, books lying around the house entitled "How to Kill" and other such nastiness can cause a real problem in court. While not illegal they will be used to paint you as some sort of Rambo wannabe who was looking for a chance to kill someone. It has happenned before, will again, and good people have paid the price for it.

Welcome to Kalifornistan, the state I now live in, where you can shoot a gang-banger or two who are trying to rob you, and have the rest of their crew howling for blood on your front lawn before the police show up.

I'll take my chances with being found with a bayonet on a gun.

Upvote 0
Welcome to Kalifornistan, the state I now live in, where you can shoot a gang-banger or two who are trying to rob you, and have the rest of their crew howling for blood on your front lawn before the police show up.

I'll take my chances with being found with a bayonet on a gun.

In my case, the bayonet is permenantly attached to the gun. Better make sure that the buisness end is pointing in a useful direction. :D

Upvote 0
Oh, I forgot the most fun part of my scenario.

After the police DO show up - with numbers enough to get the gang to leave, which is going to take a little while - they're going to confiscate any weapons in the home. Oh, did I say confiscate? I mean, they're going to collect evidence. You'll get 'em back, after the DA has tried charging you with manslaughter or murder. Usually they'll start with murder and try reducing it to manslaughter. You might go through 3 or 4 DAs before you get one who's willing to try taking you to court so he can make a name for himself.

This state completely disgusts me sometimes.

The GOOD thing about California's self-defense laws is that you're presumed to have a reasonable fear for your life if someone unlawfully and forcibly enters your home. You don't have to see a weapon, you don't have to hear a threat, you don't have to retreat or give any warning, you just shouldn't shoot them in the back. In a home-defense situation, the burden of proof is shifted to the DA, who has to prove you did wrong. Apparently, if you shoot someone in self-defense on the street, it's YOUR burden to prove you needed to pull the trigger.

Also in CA, the law says if someone is TRYING to gain entry to your home and is bent on harming you, you don't have to wait for them to come inside.

Also note that opening my front gate (you have to reach over a nearly 6 foot gate to unlatch it) may actually qualify as a forcible entry. I want to research it a bit more, but I'm fairly sure I could shoot an intruder in my front yard and be in good shape legally.

Upvote 0