• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Teleport Pod map mode idea???

AntiSocial

Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2015
Been thinking of a new map/mode? for some time now & think it would be fun & challenging & maybe not even all that hard to create for those in the know using slight tweaks, variations on existing Killing Floor 2 assets... so thought I should put it to the community to see what they think.

Right, ok... so I'm imagining a map that is in some respects of the same ilk as the multi-level maps like Descent, Nightmare or the new Biolapse etc. The difference is in the mode, or that there is an extra objective in the map, in that the Pod itself doubles as a teleport device critical to the mission and that you have to protect it from being destroyed by Zeds or it's, game over.

So, the story goes... Horzine AI or the bosses ie. Pat, Hans etc. whatever, have become aware of the Pods and what they are used for & therefor the threat they pose to their continued prosperity, & so are now programing groups of Zeds to seek & destroy, not only humans but their pods too, on discovery wherever they find them. Like Descent, Nightmare or the new Biolapse etc, each wave starts at a new randomised location & the team is teleported there by the new, Teleport Pod. The new Pod looks like existing Pods only its got some extra funky wormhole/teleport tech junk attached. At the end of a wave, if the team is successful in surviving & keeping the "TelePod" in one piece, the Pod teleports via wormhole or whatever, to a new location (could even use wormhole visuals from Nightmare map). Players move into the wormhole *white-out* & get zapped to the new location too. The pod then opens, buy guns... & get ready for the next wave of fun.

Other ideas I have been imagining for the map are...

Like the smaller (easier to load randomly I'm guessing?) Descent, Nightmare or Biolapse etc maps, I thought to use small closed-off sections (by debris, further destruction etc) of classic existing maps ie. Biotics Lab, Outpost & Burning Paris etc for example, so it's like you are being sent back to wipe out the new Pod destroying Zeds from previously cleared sites. Would be great if the smaller maps from Descent, Nightmare & Biolapse etc maps could be drawn from a large group of maps that could be chosen at random so you never know where you might end up... but I can't imagine that would be easy to do???

Smashed pods might/should be found at various locations to fit the theme. Just now thought too that a Support perk should be able to repair them like doors to distract Zeds to help protect the critical Teleport Pod. Hell, maybe Demolitionist perk could even rig them to blow like door traps. So too Medic perks & weapons should be able to repair them as well as all perk welders. They could have a health bar over the top or of some sort to show their health status. You could even give players extra Dosh prizes for Pods repaired & or kept alive like in "hold area" objectives in other existing maps.

Be great for replayability to have the Teleport pod (TelePod?), & even the smashed/repairable Pods have randomised appearance locations on each map too, so as to make each game more individual & also really test players strategies & skills to have to deal with whatever combination of map & TelePod/Repairable Pod location situation that is thrown at them.

What say you?