• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Stalingrad content idea

Calumhm

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2009
Plymouth, England
I recently discovered a German weapon that, it turns out, was used in Stalingrad. It's called Dora.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerer_Gustav#Dora

Since the wiki says this was used in Stalingrad, it seems obvious that we should be able to call in a Dora strike.

I think the way it should be implemented is as follows:

One shell hits every 15 seconds (or however long the gun took to reload IRL) but in game, because the shell is 800mm, it kills everyone in a radius of 100m, and destroys all cover, meshes and game geometry. Should only be available on sufficiently large maps like Gumrak, or Barracks so it isn't unfair.

Also; if the shell hits a tank, it should (being an 80cm round) be almost as strong as the PzB 784(r), but not quite, as that would be silly.

I recently discovered a German weapon that, it turns out, was used in Stalingrad. It's called Dora.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerer_Gustav#Dora

Since the wiki says this was used in Stalingrad, it seems obvious that we should be able to call in a Dora strike.

One shell hits every 15 seconds (or however long the gun took to reload IRL) but in game, because the shell is 800mm, it kills everyone in a radius of 100m, and destroys all cover, meshes and game geometry. Should only be available on sufficiently large maps like Gumrak, or Barracks so it isn't unfair.

Also; if the shell hits a tank, it should (being an 80cm round) be almost as strong as the PzB 784(r), but not quite, as that would be silly.

Good idea but,

Rate of fire:1 round every 30 to 45 minutes or typically 14 rounds a day
If it hit any tank it would obliterate it,look at the comparison pic.

Attachments

• 80cm_Gustav_shell.jpg
    80cm_Gustav_shell.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Gesch
    37.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
One shell hits every 15 seconds (or however long the gun took to reload IRL) [...]

IRL it took up to 45 MINUTES to reload.

[...] but in game, because the shell is 800mm, it kills everyone in a radius of 100m, and destroys all cover, meshes and game geometry.
That was not how Dora and Schwerer Gustav were used. There were not designed to nuke out plains, but to penetrate single heavy bunkers. It could penetrate 7m of reinforced concrete or 1m of steel.

Did I get that one right? It would be silly that a direct hit by an armour piercing 800mm round weighing 7100kg that can penetrate 1m of steel should almost as powerful as a 15,5mm rifle shot?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IRL it took up to 45 MINUTES to reload.

That was not how Dora and Schwerer Gustav were used. There were not designed to nuke out plains, but to penetrate single heavy bunkers. It could penetrate 7m of reinforced concrete or 1m of steel.

You are wrong my friend.
It was desigend as a weapon of terror.
To make a whole city surrender. You had no clue where the shrll would land.
Even the germans had no clue cos it wasnt a weapon of pin point accuracy.

Upvote 0
You are wrong my friend.
It was desigend as a weapon of terror.
To make a whole city surrender. You had no clue where the shrll would land.
Even the germans had no clue cos it wasnt a weapon of pin point accuracy.

Actually, if you look it up, they were designed to do exactly what I said and were used to do exactly that with reasonable precision. They were designed to take out bunkers of the maginot line, but war began too early for them to do that. They were used with success to combat heavy bunkers in Sevastopol.

Upvote 0

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwerer_Gustav#Dora[/URL]

I just happened to be reading about Dora's use last night. It was used during the siege of Sevastopol in 1942. It shot 26 (or 28, something like that) shells during the siege. One of its shells destroyed an enormous Soviet ammunition dump.

Upvote 0
Can't believe you guys didn't get that I was joking!

Also I was hinting that the PzB is overpowered. :IS2:

heh, joking???
There is no joking allowed here, Calumhm..the forum is for ultra serious topics, only :D
...anyway..

maybe not a railroad gun..but a stuka strike would be cool...just having the sound effects & animation....

Upvote 0