• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Specimen "Swarm"

nutterbutter

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Swarm isn't a new specimen per se, but a way for existing specimens to attack. Rather than clots walking to you slowly, what if they could group in a ball and roll to the players? As individual specimens are killed they would drop off the ball but the ball itself would keep rolling to the players. When the swarm reaches a player, it would break apart and the individual specimens would attack.

I just have this idea of a Swarm of 30 clots and gorefasts rolling to the group and players are furiously shooting at Swarm. Dead specimens are falling off as Swarm slowly gets smaller and smaller until it hits the group and out springs the last 8 living specimens that attack.

Of course, scrakes and FPs couldn't be in Swarm.

This would also help prevent barricading. If Swarm rolls into a room and hits a wall, it would separate. But if the players are in a hallway, they could sidestep Swarm as it rolls by. Or maybe instead of hitting a player to separate, Swarm pops free if it passes within a foot or two of a payer.

Thoughts?

Pipebomb heaven.

I thought about that. Pipe bombs could have one of several impacts on Swarm.

1) Could detonate and separate Swarm.
2) Swarm could be fast enough to pass by the pipe bomb before the pipe bomb explodes. That could increase the speed of Swarm.
3) Could exploded and kill a few specimens in Swarm.

But Swarm would also have the benefit of taking out a hallway of pipe bombs.

Reactions: the 1st wasted
Upvote 0
What, 30 lower tier specimens?

1 Pipebomb will destroy them all, depending on how large the ball is.

I don't think so. Rapidly shooting 6 grenades from an m32 into the same spot in a group of 30 clots and gorefasts won't kill them all. Same thing with throwing 6 grenades into that group. Specimens absorb damage.

Again, how the pipe bomb affects a group depends on many things. The speed of Swarm being the main factor.

Now, if there is a swarm of 3 clots, then sure, a pipe bomb will kill them all. That's fine. I'm thinking of a swarm of 30 clots, gorefasts, crawlers, and stalkers rapidly bearing down on the team. Having an effect like the FP used to have. Someone sees it and the entire team starts dumping lead into it.

Reactions: the 1st wasted
Upvote 0
...what if they could group in a ball and roll to the players?
Thoughts?

Hahahaha! I can't believe you are serious xDDD
You just gave me the most ridiculous picture in my head lol! Thanks for the laughter :D

But dude, considering all your ... emmm ... "surreal / creative" suggestions i just gotta ask you: Do you suffer from extreme fantasies or are you just trolling around?
If you are serious and not trolling, i dunno wether to laugh or cry :/

Tip: You could be an epic small children's book/movie writer dude. Seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: C_Gibby
Upvote 0
You just gave me the most ridiculous picture in my head lol! Thanks for the laughter :D

But dude, considering all your ... emmm ... "surreal / creative" suggestions i just gotta ask you: Do you suffer from extreme fantasies or are you just trolling around?

Tip: You could be an epic small children's book/movie writer dude. Seriously.

Seconded.

It's WTF-mod material. :cool:

Upvote 0

It would be funny to see a rolling ball of specimens hurtling towards the players. Until that Swarm hits and 30 specimens are next to everyone.

I simply don't understand that. Everyone time someone makes a thread that is a little off the beaten path or that someone doesn't like, "trolling" inevitably pops up. Can't people communicate without getting pissed off?

Anyway, one of the weaknesses in KF is the slow melee speed. I am just trying to think of a way to deposit a large number of specimens deposited at a team yet give the team to chance to kill the specimens as they charge.

I just think of what would be funny, cool, or unusual to see in the game.

Upvote 0
Well I'm not being a git here... but here goes.

Seriously? What the hell? This has to be a troll, but if not...

I was expecting something like parasites exploding out of the bloats or something. Or something like the breed in WTF mod.

Specimens grouping into a ball and rolling at their targets? Its just... silly. Funny or not, its just plain silly and would just totally be atmosphere destroying. Yes KF has a sarcastic kind of humour to it, but this is slapstick daftness.

Even it if were a good idea for gameplay, I just can't seriously back it jsut because of how ridiculous it would look.

For someone who rips into peoples ideas so much nutter, I was expecting something just a little in the spirit of KF :/

Reactions: Aze and HalfDemon
Upvote 0
Specimens grouping into a ball and rolling at their targets? Its just... silly.

Well, I first thought of a rapidly changing blur of specimens but there really isn't any form of locomotion that way so I changed it to a ball.

Of course by going with a ball rather than a group that creates it own motion, that limits Swarm to downhill attacks.

Upvote 0
that limits Swarm to downhill attacks.

haha.png

Reactions: Aze and HalfDemon
Upvote 0
Swarm isn't a new specimen per se, but a way for existing specimens to attack. Rather than clots walking to you slowly, what if they could group in a ball and roll to the players? As individual specimens are killed they would drop off the ball but the ball itself would keep rolling to the players. When the swarm reaches a player, it would break apart and the individual specimens would attack.

I just have this idea of a Swarm of 30 clots and gorefasts rolling to the group and players are furiously shooting at Swarm. Dead specimens are falling off as Swarm slowly gets smaller and smaller until it hits the group and out springs the last 8 living specimens that attack.

Of course, scrakes and FPs couldn't be in Swarm.

This would also help prevent barricading. If Swarm rolls into a room and hits a wall, it would separate. But if the players are in a hallway, they could sidestep Swarm as it rolls by. Or maybe instead of hitting a player to separate, Swarm pops free if it passes within a foot or two of a payer.

Thoughts?

Dude, Dead space much? :p

Upvote 0
It would be funny to see a rolling ball of specimens hurtling towards the players. Until that Swarm hits and 30 specimens are next to everyone.
Like Undedd Jester put it, it's way too silly. However dangerous it might be, it still is just hilariously silly.

I simply don't understand that. Everyone time someone makes a thread that is a little off the beaten path or that someone doesn't like, "trolling" inevitably pops up. Can't people communicate without getting pissed off?

Anyway, one of the weaknesses in KF is the slow melee speed. I am just trying to think of a way to deposit a large number of specimens deposited at a team yet give the team to chance to kill the specimens as they charge.

I just think of what would be funny, cool, or unusual to see in the game.

Well, i didn't mean it too offensively. Especially not considering how much you made me laugh ^^ Cheers for that one!

Regarding the slow speed of the specimen, why not have some kind of "Swarm Leader", a specimen that leads other lesser ones in a big group and causes all of his followers to run faster? And by faster i mean MUCH faster. And to stop the group from going uberfast like this, kill that Leader...

However, a little sidenote: When i saw the word Swarm, i thought you were gonna suggest lots of tiny bugs that would be a pure best to kill due to their numbers and size, but would be pure joy for the firebug to vaporize >:]

Upvote 0