• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Specimen "Swarm"

I know what you mean Nutterbutter.
My ideas have been somewhat ignored or just completely bashed too (often not with constructive advice either), and it kinda hurts when i put alot of effort into it :S

And you said you wanted constructive stuff about this, and i already did, but like almost every single time i do, it seemed to be ignored. I will quote myself:

"Regarding the slow speed of the specimen, why not have some kind of "Swarm Leader", a specimen that leads other lesser ones in a big group and causes all of his followers to run faster? And by faster i mean MUCH faster. And to stop the group from going uberfast like this, kill that Leader..."

That was my advice of how you could make a "similar" thing, but more within the tone of the game. Any comments on that?

Upvote 0
That would be all cute and dandy if you wouldn't try and defend whatever you suggested whatever it takes, no matter how ridiculous it is, no matter what the other side says, no matter what.
I have yet to see you making a compromise yet making compromises is what you constantly ask from others.
Some dialogue that is.
It also doesn't help if you litter the suggestion forums with "joke threads" in which you "look for dialogue".

Other threads that *are* meant seriously as well as your credibility will suffer from this.
The latter only affects you but don't be surprised if people aren't too fond of the former.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That would be all cute and dandy if you wouldn't try and defend whatever you suggested whatever it takes, no matter how ridiculous it is, no matter what the other side says, no matter what.
I have yet to see you making a compromise yet making compromises is what you constantly ask from others.

Either you aren't reading what I type or you are confusing thread types.

There is no "compromise" possible when someone says "That is the stupidest idea in the world" four times or the retarded and incredibly played 'facepalm' references. There is no compromise with people who exist only for thread-crapping. There is no "compromise" when I believe that dropping weapons in an exploit and someone else doesn't. There is really no compromising when discussing tactics. I can say someone has a valid point, but I prefer my tactics. That isn't compromising and there isn't anything wrong with that. That is just differing opinions. People can have different opinions without arguing again and again.

A perfect example is Pat the hairdresser. brphoenix responded with a bunch of questions and comments. I went back and edited Pat specifically because of those comments. Hell, I even put in "Edited for suggestions by brphoenix." in the first post. Then when he replied "What you don't realize is that your very concept is flawed. We can't improve an idea that is so damn f-ed up." And that is just as valid and he stopped commenting after that. And that's cool.

Some dialogue that is.
It also doesn't help if you litter the suggestion forums with "joke threads" in which you "look for dialogue".

I don't know how old you are, but I did assume that you could tell the difference between a post in which I lay out a suggested specimen like Leech and a thread which I mentioned it would be cool to have the scrake's chainsaw cut off and make the scrake curse, drop to a knee, and pull the cord until it restarts.

The difference seems obvious to me.

Other threads that *are* meant seriously as well as your credibility will suffer from this.

Credibility? Are you serious? This is a game forum that none of use will be perusing after a year or two. My credibility is just fine. I don't call names and I respect other's opinions.

The latter only affects you but don't be surprised if people aren't too fond of the former.

Again, I don't care who is fond of what. Just looking for dialog. If that dialog is negative, then that person can say what they want and leave the thread. Something you may not have realized but criticizing is how something gets better. Other's help and input is appreciated.

Upvote 0
Swarm isn't a new specimen per se, but a way for existing specimens to attack. Rather than clots walking to you slowly, what if they could group in a ball and roll to the players? As individual specimens are killed they would drop off the ball but the ball itself would keep rolling to the players. When the swarm reaches a player, it would break apart and the individual specimens would attack.

I just have this idea of a Swarm of 30 clots and gorefasts rolling to the group and players are furiously shooting at Swarm. Dead specimens are falling off as Swarm slowly gets smaller and smaller until it hits the group and out springs the last 8 living specimens that attack.

Of course, scrakes and FPs couldn't be in Swarm.

This would also help prevent barricading. If Swarm rolls into a room and hits a wall, it would separate. But if the players are in a hallway, they could sidestep Swarm as it rolls by. Or maybe instead of hitting a player to separate, Swarm pops free if it passes within a foot or two of a payer.

Thoughts?

this is serious right? the idea of clots forming a ball that can roll around the map is just really silly.

Upvote 0
Animals do all sorts of things to improve survivability and locomotion. Anyway, I listed why I thought Swarm was needed. If you can think of a better way to fulfill a hole I see in the game, then suggest something else.

Of course animals do, but the idea of zombies forming a ball so they can roll around the map just sounds really silly or straight out of Gmod.

The speed at which the zombies move is fine. We dont need to have them roll around the map in a giant ball. Its the zombie's hitpoints and life that need adjusting. Or even something like editing the difficulties so that hard is the new suicidal, normal is the new hard, and suicidal is the total nightmare mode where you cant even get past wave 1 (KF mod's suicidal was like this). Or how about they edit the prices of the weapons so getting a SCAR on wave 2 etc is impossible.

I'd rather see changes like those than something as silly as zombies forming a ball and then rolling around to get to the players.

Upvote 0
The speed at which the zombies move is fine.

I disagree with that. Or else add a few more projectile specimens.

We dont need to have them roll around the map in a giant ball.

Some guy suggested putting an FP in the middle so it the locomotion would be like a big organic hamster ball. While funny, that would be damn cool. Imagine the ball rolling around the corner and riding up on the wall.

Its the zombie's hitpoints and life that need adjusting.

Yes, but the same slow plodding attack is the problem, imo.

Or how about they edit the prices of the weapons so getting a SCAR on wave 2 etc is impossible.

I'd be happy with that as well.

Upvote 0
I disagree with that. Or else add a few more projectile specimens.

projectile specimens (husk) was only needed because of the weakness of the crawlers and stalkers - those 2 were the main, "push em out, get em seperated", but because theyre not worth a **** and the guns have become so OP, the husk had to be added.

Some guy suggested putting an FP in the middle so it the locomotion would be like a big organic hamster ball. While funny, that would be damn cool. Imagine the ball rolling around the corner and riding up on the wall.

The FP kills specimens in his way, so what makes you think his pillows for arms would be able to generate a ball of rolling zombies? It would be funny, in the Gmod, L4D sense, and i guess it would be badass, but in the Ewe Boll sense..

Yes, but the same slow plodding attack is the problem, imo.

They are zombies, they can only do so much, and given what we have, they manage to do quite a few different things - from going invisible, to popping our heads with their screams, from coming out of vents and hiding in tall grass, etc etc. They need a buff, healthwise and damagewise, and the difficulties will need to be adjusted (so that hard feels like suicidal, etc), and the weapon prices need to be adjusted so you cant get a M14 or SCAR wave 2 no matter what lvl your commando or sharpie is.

The idea of the zombies forming into a ball and rolling around the map is not only silly, but its also a total immersion breaker to be walking and suddenly see something as comical as that.

Upvote 0
projectile specimens (husk) was only needed because of the weakness of the crawlers and stalkers

I disagree. Every specimen except for husk has an extremely limited threat area. Husk puts the threat area anywhere there is line of sight. Three FPs across the map from me aren't a problem. Three husks continually firing are.

The FP kills specimens in his way, so what makes you think his pillows for arms would be able to generate a ball of rolling zombies? It would be funny, in the Gmod, L4D sense, and i guess it would be badass, but in the Ewe Boll sense..

It was just a funny comment. Speaking of Ewe Boll, have you seen 'Rampage.' Very good movie by Ewe. I liked 'House of the Dead' as well, but 99% of his movies are ****.

They need a buff, healthwise and damagewise, and the difficulties will need to be adjusted (so that hard feels like suicidal, etc), and the weapon prices need to be adjusted so you cant get a M14 or SCAR wave 2 no matter what lvl your commando or sharpie is.

But their lethality range and slow movement are still the problem.

The idea of the zombies forming into a ball and rolling around the map is not only silly, but its also a total immersion breaker to be walking and suddenly see something as comical as that.

Yes, I understand your opinion. Look at my previous reply to you. You said you didn't like it so I didn't try to change your mind. I replied about other things.

Upvote 0
Animals do all sorts of things to improve survivability and locomotion. Anyway, I listed why I thought Swarm was needed. If you can think of a better way to fulfill a hole I see in the game, then suggest something else.

I hate to derail, but what animals do that?

I'm full serious...I mean, I know that ants do it, or perhaps other insects, but does it span beyond Insects?

However, if this is implemented, I demand FP Hamster wheels:D

Upvote 0
I hate to derail, but what animals do that?

I'm full serious...I mean, I know that ants do it, or perhaps other insects, but does it span beyond Insects?

Just insects as far as I know. A very broad example would be geese and other flying animals that form formations.

However, if this is implemented, I demand FP Hamster wheels:D

Damn skippy. Even better if the animation had the FP running in the middle as well.

Upvote 0
But they don't form balls!

A flying geeseball. How cool would that be?

LAWL.

I definately want to see a flying geeseball (or gooseball?)

and I will name my FP Chibbles, and I will wuv him fowever and ever (or until he devours my flesh, one of the two);)

Upvote 0
I thought Ewe Boll was a woman....

What kind of person makes a film like Twilight and calls himself a man? I'd rather cut off my penis with a rusty palette knife than endorse in anything like the Twilight saga.

Of course, I could step this up a notch by mentioning Justin Beiber, but I can't really top Gibby's response here.

Upvote 0