• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[NEW SPECIMEN] - Dread

El

El

Small critique, if I may. He doesn't look very scary to me. It looks too human-looking as a specimen. Would be cooler if he looked more like a monster. But it's a personal taste thing, of course.
This. The zed doesn't look disturbing in the least, even with the gashes and severed arms. Maybe sew his mouth and/or eyes shut? Maybe do something with the hair as well since it looks like a modern action hero hairdo.
These are experiments and not monsters, remember that. To fit in with KF, it has to be human like and using one of the characters to me is a great thing to do. Take the Flesh Pound and the mutated soldier character, they're similar.

Both the FP and Thorn have disturbing and ****ed up faces. Also, this guy's hair looks like someone gave a damn to cut it that way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its a suicide bomber. That human looking face will lower the priority that he gets shot up until he is so close to you, it would be too late and BOOM!

I love it the way it is because it keeps the players guessing when he will come in and attack.

The only thing I really want is to fix it (so it does not replace another specimen) and to have some sort of custom sound or indicator.... glowing blinking light on chest and maybe the pipebomb beep beep beep sound...

Oh and some crazy insane laugh as he is running towards you which gets louder and louder until you notice it... :D

Epic Joker Laugh - YouTube

Upvote 0
Update 04/09/2012: Dread 1.1

dread1-1y.png

Dread 1.1 is here and comes with positive changes.

Change list:

• Dread now has a custom sound pack making the zed unique to hear.
  • Textures have been refined and altered to better fit with the original zeds of Killing Floor.
  • Dread now comes with no pants and is completely in his birthday suit. Again making him more original and fitting to the game.
  • Fixed issue where Stalkers did not appear with the Add Dread Mutator active.
  • You have a 1 in 4 chance of spawning a Dread when Stalkers spawn now using the Add Dread Mutator.
  • The damage Dread causes has been lowered although Dread can still deal a 1 hit kill if close enough.
  • The Range you can be hit by Dreads explosion has been lowered.

Be aware that this Specimen is still in testing and there are most likely still issues with it.

Other than that, enjoy.

Download here

Hunter-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upvote 0
Update 04/09/2012: Dread 1.1

dread1-1y.png

Dread 1.1 is here and comes with positive changes.

Change list:

• Dread now has a custom sound pack making the zed unique to hear.
  • Textures have been refined and altered to better fit with the original zeds of Killing Floor.
  • Dread now comes with no pants and is completely in his birthday suit. Again making him more original and fitting to the game.
  • Fixed issue where Stalkers did not appear with the Add Dread Mutator active.
  • You have a 1 in 4 chance of spawning a Dread when Stalkers spawn now using the Add Dread Mutator.
  • The damage Dread causes has been lowered although Dread can still deal a 1 hit kill if close enough.
  • The Range you can be hit by Dreads explosion has been lowered.

Be aware that this Specimen is still in testing and there are most likely still issues with it.

Other than that, enjoy.

Download here

Hunter-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that's more like it! The friendly faced action figure has grown into a badass specimen. Much better look-wise, imo, at least. The other stuff is very nice, too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
after plating with thid zed i noticed few things. First of all when he is really close in front of my face iand i killed him with sharpshooter in one shot ,he exploded ,but didn't done any damagw at all. Second sometimes when he knees in front of and i escape he explodeds ,stands up and running like hell killing everyone (exploding) ,one by one until you kill him. In commando after explosion showa about 25% health.

Upvote 0
:confused:how to spawn The Dread ,in the sandbox

I've been using AddDread.Dread and it's been working. Not for certain if the dread is taking the place of some stalkers or not, and ignoring my added dreads. But, I have watched the server load and I'm not seeing the AddDread.Dread as not loading. Haven't tried Dread.Dread.

Also, make sure you watch out on which mutator you add. One of the mutators will spawn only dreads :D

DMN666--> Question, where are the names for sandbox located? I have always searched for them on the forums or google... just hate relying on others on stuff like that. :) I have looked at the .ucl and .u files and even the .int files, but I'm unable to find the name together like that. If I can't find the name on the forums or google, I usually just start guessing by how all the other mutators have been named. Just curious, would be great to know exactly where to look :D

Update: Tried the Dread.Dread and it loaded without giving and error, guessing it must work also. However, I didn't try out a game with it. I'm using AddDread.Dread, it works so I'll stick with it until it stops working :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Question, where are the names for sandbox located? I have always searched for them on the forums or google... just hate relying on others on stuff like that. :) I have looked at the .ucl and .u files and even the .int files, but I'm unable to find the name together like that. If I can't find the name on the forums or google, I usually just start guessing by how all the other mutators have been named. Just curious, would be great to know exactly where to look :D

Well when you have a specimen mut. it well be X.Y X=Name of file like the u file here is call AddDread so it would be AddDread.Y
Y would be the name which is found in the .u and since Hunter just put Dread as its name for it to be easy its AddDread.Dread

When its a mutator that contains a pack of monster, its more easier to find (Like in KFChar or the Deadspace ones) in the .u file since all the names are next to each others. Its always in the .u file or sometimes can be found in ucl/int/ini but that is never the case.

But its okay to rile on others for help.
I made a thread because i use to be someone who was new and didnt know the sandbox names, so i made a thread with them to solve this problem (But most users never bother checking around the forums for answers so most of the time its unnoticed)

Upvote 0
Awesome :D Thank you :D Also, I did see that post you did, and it was a great post. I'm sure that took a lot of time, but it was great to see all those zed mutators in one place. :) Plus given the sandbox name made it even better. So, are the weapons done the same way? Like the weapons in dead space? I usually can find them listed in the .ucl file, for example the KFL mutator and most others, but on the dead space .ucl file, it just list the mutator, not weapons or zeds...

So, I'm going to guess, in a case like the dead space setup, one would go into the .u file and put them together as you explained above, which clears up a lot. Just wondering if weapons are the same way? Thank you again for that huge post with all the zeds and stuff, found that not long after you posted it :p and also, thank you for the help above. :D

Upvote 0
T
Mods will be taken down in a month's time. I thank you all, I had a great time making and testing them with you all.
If someone wants to continue them, please make a little reference towards me...its all I ask hehe.

Sorry to hear this. Would it be alright is someone still hosted your mods for others to enjoy? Just so happens I know a guy. ;)

Upvote 0
Very nice effort. I have this installed on one server that is in the building phase and the V1.1 is much improved I like the beeping sound effects and the muffled screaming is a nice touch also. I don't know if this is an intended choice or a glitch but the Dread is invulnerable to fire. Whether by husk gun, grenades or flame thrower flame weapons do no damage. I know this because I am working on a Firebug perk atm and a very strong Firebug perk has no effect. He adds another dimension to the game.

Upvote 0