• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[NEW SPECIMEN] - Dread

Flux is right there. The crawler and bloat aren't very human looking, but it is better IMO to keep the bipod look for specimen. I like this guy, haven't downloaded him yet, but i hope for one thing only - that he's as tall as a scrake. Otherwise, cool stuff.
If it turns out he's TOO crazy, some ideas:
Signature noise - idc if its a growl, but the scrakes chainsaw and fleshies roar and the charge of the husk cannon are very important cues to where they are. A rapid beeping of pipes would be cool.
Threshold damage - can't take you past one hp. easy balance for OP damage if necessary.

I have yet to try him, so sorry if he already has a sound or something, been busy with non-kf gaming :p

Upvote 0
These are experiments and not monsters, remember that. To fit in with KF, it has to be human like and using one of the characters to me is a great thing to do. Take the Flesh Pound and the mutated soldier character, they're similar.

Well, experiment on humans can turn into monsters, no? Anyhow, all of the KF specimens are humonoid. But the standard specimens is more scary than this one - and 'monster'-like. Is just a personally opinion about design style, as I said. Nothing right or wrong here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the idea. Judging by your description, it sounds like his "attack" would be an insta kill. In my opinion, that would be a little OP for a zed that spawns on wave 2 or 3.

It is, with right timing, you can use him to kill Fleshpounds and Scrakes.
What sucks even more is when i was playing, i was running away and reloading, all of a sudden a Dread appears from a corner and kills me.

Upvote 0
This is why i suggest giving him a louder version of the pipebombs beep. Thats when you say "ohgodohgod the beeping is here and i don't see him" and things like this might be avoided.
That would be so much better, also i think he needs a different voice. When i here him, im thinking 'Why is a Scrake around on wave 2'. Maybe use a holiday voice like the Fatale does.

Upvote 0
I noticed he doesn't make a boom sound when he explodes. For my server I made a new package and changed this in Dread.uc:

Code:
function PlayDyingSound()
{
    if( Level.NetMode!=NM_Client )
    {
        if ( bGibbed )
        {
            PlaySound([COLOR=Orange]soundgroup'Inf_Weapons.antitankmine.antitankmine_explode01'[/COLOR], SLOT_Pain,2.0,true,525);
            return;

Also the beeping pipe sound would be a great idea, maybe even add the blinking lights too on his pipebomb vest.

Upvote 0
It has been great reading your replies and gathering your feedback.

Now that I know the work has gone down smoothly and has generally being accepted, I will be updating the specimen within the course of the next week or so.

These fixes and tweaks will include:

• A custom voice and sound pack for the Dread.
• The lowering of the damage he deals (It will still be critical, but possibly not an instant kill)
• Reworking the textures a little bit
• Changing which wave Dread spawns on and the number of Dreads that spawn.

I will update this thread with the new release when it is ready.

Other than that,

Thank you very much for your feedback and support.

Hunter-

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Voice of Beheaded Kamikaze from Serious Sam would fit well here imo ("Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" sound).

To balance damage you need to choose one of two ways:
1. Medium damage, but large explosion radius - make him annoying, but not lethal.
2. High damage with tiny explosion radius - can be taken out from even close distance, but when he gets too close, you are dead.
I prefer #1. Making both high damage and large radius would be too OP imo.

Upvote 0
I was hoping someone, was going to make a mod like this. I was going to do it but have lost interest in modding for the moment.

Looks good, I will try it out later.

Voice of Beheaded Kamikaze from Serious Sam would fit well here imo ("Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" sound).

I was thinking the same but would prefer something like a really high pitched squeel like the guy is really frightened of blowing up, now that would be scary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting specimen! With lowered damage so it isn't an instant kill anymore, it also gives the Demolitions perk better use of his explosive resistance (other than for selfdamage and Patriarch rockets).

Keep up the good work :)

EDIT: Oh and a question: How much health and headhealth does the specimen have?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Where Stalker... ?

This is one of the things that will be fixed in the 1.1 release. At the moment The Dread directly replaces the stalkers. Although it wasn't intended to.

I just felt the need to point that out as it is a major blooper in the mutator.

Thank you for your support so far.

Hunter-

Last edited:
Upvote 0