• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New sounds? underwater grenades?

DAT

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2006
Fort Sill, OK
What is up with the new sounds? I think they came with Enemy at the gates. Grenades sound like they are underwater. THe bad thing now is all the mod maps sound like this and the gunshots sound like they have an echo. Is it just me? and is there someplace I can edit say a registry to go back to the original sounds.

there r some servers which are using a whole new set of sounds for nades and rifles which applies to all the maps. I think it comes with a realism/bullet penetration mod or somthin. one of the elliot ness servers use it (I know- its in my favs).
Its not new though, so maybe its not what youre talking about, but these really sound like they are tad underwater....not very cool, dont know y they replaced the brilliant originals.

Upvote 0
What is up with the new sounds? I think they came with Enemy at the gates. Grenades sound like they are underwater. THe bad thing now is all the mod maps sound like this and the gunshots sound like they have an echo. Is it just me? and is there someplace I can edit say a registry to go back to the original sounds.

I have also been hearing a lot of new sound lately on some maps. Mod'ed in, and yeah, badly done LOL
THe original sounds always sound better. I've been hearing a sound mod for the gunfire sounds on some servers. The guns sound like badly recorded demo's from someone's low quality keyboard.

There are also some of the background arty/explosion sounds on some maps that are obviously just a recording of some bongo drums and someone hitting on a gascan or something.

Please please please....you guys making the sounds, just because it is something you spent time doing doesn't mean it sounds good at all.

Upvote 0
Ok here goes my attempt at clearing this up:

The RTR servers, and probably a lot of other servers are using the 716 Sound mutator. There is a thread about the mutator here:

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15258

The server installs this mutator which is then downloaded by the clients when they join the server. This particular mutator modifies the weapon sounds only but there are also mutators for HUD modifications, weapon code, etc. Everyone who plays on the server will have this mutator applied so you will all hear the same sounds.

Mutators work on a per-server basis so if you join a server without this mutator the sounds should go back to normal. You can check which mutators (and other server info) are in effect by looking at the lower left box in the main server browser after highlighting the server you want to view.

Personally, I believe the stock RO sounds are very well done and this mutator should not be used in its current state. This mutator is using Copyrighted Call of Duty sounds and also does not properly handle the distance changes between weapon sounds very well in my opinion. If you want the server to revert back to the original RO sounds your best bet is to contact the people who run the server. In the case of the RTR servers that's RightToRebel.net

Background sounds are a different story and are up to the mapper, not the server or sound mutators.

Hopefully this clears things up a little. :)

Upvote 0