• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Screenshots!

TWI: I noticed the German NCO in the MG42/tripod picture doesn't have NCO shoulder boards/epaulets.
I think TWI already stated that players will feature rank insignia matching their current rank in the Progression system. Due to the fact that this system will also be used to determine if a certain player can take the role of a Commander, those should have matching rank insignia ingame.
IIRC, of course.

Upvote 0
I think TWI already stated that players will feature rank insignia matching their current rank in the Progression system. Due to the fact that this system will also be used to determine if a certain player can take the role of a Commander, those should have matching rank insignia ingame.
IIRC, of course.

That would explain it, although is it confirmed that the progression system is based on military ranks and not descriptions of experience/veterancy ala 'Hero'?

Upvote 0
Environment seems not bad... About uniform, imho, i hope that we see summer's uniforme in winter only as example of models. Also , imho, that visible strap on soviet helmet isn't needed absolutely. They are not all telephonists or radio operators.
And, maybe would be good to have also soviet marines in Stalingrad? They were there..

Here is one pics from 1943, though that seems not from Stalingrad battle(because this battle was yet ended). Only as one possible example of marines clothes in summer - black suit, shoes and green helmet.

marines1943trosh97.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------

E: Still something....IMHO, both helmets, both German and Soviet, seem too small.
And soviet soldiers seem too hairy, atleast in summer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That would explain it, although is it confirmed that the progression system is based on military ranks and not descriptions of experience/veterancy ala 'Hero'?
IIRC, the devs said that they won't include a full-scale recreation of the rank system of the Wehrmacht/Red Army, and instead use a smaller set of ranks. However, I'm not completely positive about it.

Upvote 0
Screenshots are looking nice. Only gripe I have is with the 2d looking pic with the reflection on the wrong side of the faces... It looks to me like the closer soldier is Wilsonams face, of course I could be wrong... but in any case, neither of those guys looks very Russian to me, especially the hispanic guy behind him. I'm pretty sure you guys took photos of the dev team and used them as the faces for the soldiers (like the Xancerman face in Ost etc.), my only request would be.. could we at least have some faces that look even remotely Russian?

Reactions: LemoN and Miro!
Upvote 0
Screenshots are looking nice. Only gripe I have is with the 2d looking pic with the reflection on the wrong side of the faces... It looks to me like the closer soldier is Wilsonams face, of course I could be wrong... but in any case, neither of those guys looks very Russian to me, especially the hispanic guy behind him. I'm pretty sure you guys took photos of the dev team and used them as the faces for the soldiers (like the Xancerman face in Ost etc.), my only request would be.. could we at least have some faces that look even remotely Russian?

Wouldn't Soviet soldiers have been from all over...the Soviet Union, and not just Russia? And the guy in the back doesn't look Hispanic at all...more like Central Asian, like Kazakhstan.

Upvote 0
the closer soldier is Wilsonams face, of course I could be wrong... but in any case, neither of those guys looks very Russian to me,

I would have no problem believing that both of those soldiers, especially Wilsonam (?), is really a Russian indeed. And although the darker bloke might not be a stereotype Russian, so what, since he fits in frames of Soviet citizen very well indeed. I see hundreds of Russians every week in the city, and those guys would fit in that mass without any problems.

Upvote 0
Holy zonkers these are looking nice!

I especially like the commander "fetch" animation.
-- this is going to be especially fun in multiplayer. *Throws grenade*, *plays animation*. Go get it soldier!

Srsly though. Super cool. Fire effects look great, and that artillery shell is enormous! The commisar house environment shots look extremely good too, imo. Great lighting + mist/dawn effects.

Upvote 0
I just noticed, on the second screenshot. Overcast sky + sharp shadows = lighting fail. The shadows should be soft, diffuse.
Can you see the source of the lighting? A break in the clouds perhaps? A thin layer amongst the dense?
As a matter of fact, it is raining at my house this very instant and the sun is shining! Miraculous! :p
Is it really overcast or is most of that smoke from the battlefield? So many questions........:confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can you see the source of the lighting? A break in the clouds perhaps? A thin layer amongst the dense?
As a matter of fact, it is raining at my house this very instant and the sun is shining! Miraculous! :p
Is it really overcast or is most of that smoke from the battlefield? So many questions........:confused:

It really doesn't look like the result of a break in the clouds.

Though we've seen some great lighting effects, to be honest, seeing the comparison really highlights the flaws of the new version. I would expect the HoS screenshot to look more realistic, and although the HoS clearly has higher fidelity in terms of polycounts and texture resolution, both still look very artifical and gamey.

In fact, this is a problem I'm having with most of the released screenshots and videos of HoS so far. The mappers seem to be going more for style than for realism in terms of aesthetics. Even the Grain elevator map, as someone pointed out in another thread, turned from bright and sunny, to generically cloudy and drab. Station is so vibrant it looks like HDR Photography (http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&biw=1598&bih=709&gbv=2&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=hdr+photography&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=), and why is everything in Danzig ORANGE? There are only two places I know of that look like that: Australia (http://www.google.com.au/images?um=...2G7MAE&ved=0CCIQBSgA&q=sydney+dustorm&spell=1) and Mars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miro!
Upvote 0
I like what i see at the moment, the interview with John Gibson was good but i was a bit concerned with all icons in the centre / bottom of the screen, there was a capture progress bar, on top of that there was a square icon wit a cross in and above that was another icon that appeared and dissapeared at different times during movement, not sure what it represents.

The layout of these icons cluttered up the up the direct view field with icons that in my mind could of been put to the / bottom of the screen and viewed with ones peripheral vision, IMO the centre of the screen should be as free of non map images as possible.

Upvote 0