• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New RO2 Gameplay vid and interview

Question: I noticed that when ironsighted, sometimes the screen would zoom in somewhat. What is this? Is it automated or manual?

I remember something being said that objects far away that one is focusing on (or aiming at) appear take up a much larger amount of vision area IRL then how games portray long-range targets (as in, focusing on something far-off actually makes it seem larger and more detailed). Is this what the zooming is based upon?

Upvote 0
Question: I noticed that when ironsighted, sometimes the screen would zoom in somewhat. What is this? Is it automated or manual?

I remember something being said that objects far away that one is focusing on (or aiming at) appear take up a much larger amount of vision area IRL then how games portray long-range targets (as in, focusing on something far-off actually makes it seem larger and more detailed). Is this what the zooming is based upon?

nope, is based on real life vision without screen FOV distortion.

Basically, when you try to compress a scene in a window that would be the monitor so you can navigate easier, the objects in the center seems farther away than they do in real life. That zoom corrects that problem when is needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Basically, when you try to compress a scene in a window that would be the monitor so you can navigate easier, the objects in the center seems farther away than they do in real life. That zoom corrects that problem when is needed.

Ah, so it's basically zooming in the center part of the screen because that part of your vision would be much larger IRL then on a monitor? Genius. I always thought that games got something wrong with aiming at distant targets, because I would be able to see something far off MUCH easier IRL then in-game (even taking into account said game's graphical limitations).

Also, I think the whole idea behind Rising Storm is awesome, mods for many games come out when most of the playerbase has petered out, but with Rising Storm the game will still be fairly fresh when it releases. Props out to you guys for having that foresight.

Now I just hope to be able to upgrade before HOS lands. :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fov distortion is something entirely different and got more to do with portraying an spherical image on a flat surface. With a lover Fov the distortion gets less but that's most likely not the reason for using the fov zoom.

This shows fov distortion: http://www.pbase.com/image/69510841/original.jpg

Its to make characters on an averagely sized monitor of 19~20 inch appear at the same size as someone at the same distance would appear in real life. So someone at 200 meters in game looks approx the same size as someone at 200m in reallife.

However at the cost that you cannot use your peripheral view to spot enemy movement at a larger distance any more. As your when using a wider fov every enemy will appear 2 times smaller than in real life. So I fear it will have the same effect as in ArmA where i'm forced walk around with low fov mode all the time as otherwise enemies will spot me first. Next to that you have to live with a transitioning from non zoomed to zooming in that can get you out of your immersion.

Last edited:
Reactions: REZ and Fedorov
Upvote 0
Fov distortion is something entirely different and got more to do with portraying an spherical image on a flat surface. With a lover Fov the distortion gets less but that's most likely not the reason for using the fov zoom.

This shows fov distortion: http://www.pbase.com/image/69510841/original.jpg

Its to make characters on an averagely sized monitor of 19~20 inch appear at the same size as someone at the same distance would appear in real life. So someone at 200 meters in game looks approx the same size as someone at 200m in reallife.

how is it different?, the more FOV you try to fit in the screen, the more distorted the image will get, and the farther away the objects will be perceived, try this in practice mode and you'll see.

This zoom is to correct that effect when needed, which is ironsighted and controlled breathing, about missing out information... there are peripheral view indicators for that reason right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
how is it different?, the more FOV you try to fit in the screen, the more distorted the image will get, and the farther away the objects will be perceived, try this in practice mode and you'll see.

This zoom is to correct that effect when needed, which is ironsighted and controlled breathing, about missing out information... there are peripheral view indicators for that reason right?

The thing is that the fov distortion only describes the effect of flattening a round image. The only way to effectively remove the fov distortion effect is to either go for a curved monitor or making the fov infinitely small.

ce4aac5863e0e62106026bc999bc0025.jpg

The fov zoom effect is something different.

85b52b773d80feacc29be6e6475fb1bf.jpg

If A is shorter then B then everything in the game will look smaller than it would in real life. If A is longer then B then everything in the game will look bigger than it would in real life. If A is equal to B then objects look to be of the same size as in real life.

If you have a monitor with a width of say .5 meters and you sit at a distance of .5 meter to your monitor. Then calculating the fov the monitor takes up from your field of vision would be:

The fov you percieve = 2*arctan((w/2)/B))
2*arctan(.25/.5) = 53 degrees.

The ingame fov by default is 85 degrees, or backwards calculating
A = (w/2) / tan(ingamefov/2)
.25/tan(85/2) = 0,27 meters.

So we have B = .5 meters while A=.27 meters.

This means that in this case everything on the screen appears (B/A =) 1,8 times smaller than it should be. In order to get a 6x zoom sniper scope you would need to end up with a value of A and B such that A/B = 6

In order to make enemies appear at the same size as in reality the in game fov would need to be changed to 53 degrees.

-------------------------

You can feel free to test this, measure the distance from your eye to your monitor and measure the horizontal width of your monitor (not diagonal or vertical). Then using 2*arctan((w/2)/B)) calculate the fov in degrees your monitor takes up for you.

If you fill that amount in Red Orchestra everything will be at a 1:1 scale with reality. However if you move your head halfway closer to your screen everything will appear 2 times bigger than in reality. Or move your head double as far from your screen everything will seem 2 times smaller than in reality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
one thing I hope that doesnt happen... I hope thoes recon planes that you can call in cant spot people that are indoors. Would be retarded... like how battlefield 2 could do that -_-' (a truly awful game) ...

Its been stated several times that the recon plane can only spot enemies outdoors, that can realistically be seen.

Reactions: fredkruge
Upvote 0
one thing I hope that doesnt happen... I hope thoes recon planes that you can call in cant spot people that are indoors. Would be retarded... like how battlefield 2 could do that -_-' (a truly awful game) .

All you need is an :IS2: to get people that are indoors ;)
You guyz should trust TWI for their work and dedication delivering the ultimate WW2 fps game. I can't stand any more all those people making suggestions without thinking a second, do you reealy think TWI could add a recon plane spotting people fighting indoor ?

Use your brain, my friend. ;)

Oh ! and you earned a troll trophy, Congratz !
trolltrophy.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can't wait until the game is released. I just hope it's well advertised so there is many players playing. I'd like to see the game somewhere on the top 10 list for XFIRE - If that old ****ty game Crossfire can do it, RO can too.

Let me just say this. Believe it or not there is a huge RO following - many you don't see today because they are simply waiting for the new game to be released.

Many of us only ever play this game and have been since MOD days back in 2003 or so. So you don't have to worry about numbers of players. Tripwire probably knows exactly how many players they have that own the original RO so with that number alone they already know this game is going to be a huge success. This game also is a game known world wide.

With the new engine and graphics and systems it will bring along 1000's more just because many want the eye candy in their games. This game will blow away the likes of MW2, COD 20, and so on. I own all FPS games but still only play RO\DH and it's because at its core it's still the best of them all.

Those folks like myself who love the game because of its realism, slower pace, teamwork, and so on will all be returning, I'm sure. So numbers will never be a factor and on day one I'm sure there will be at minimum 100 or so servers full to the hilt.

See you all on the battlefield - (CLOWNS ROHOS Playhouse)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yup, there are still a lot of us original RO players from waaaaaay back still around playing off and on. We're still here for a reason, Tripwire gave us a game in RO that has yet to be beaten in terms of teamwork, realism and attractiveness to a good, mature playerbase.

I'm pretty sure there will be a big groundswell of returning players as soon as HOS comes out

Upvote 0