• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics New Player - Need some Training

Friar

Mar 29, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hello, fellow comrades.

I am a new player to RO and I got it back in 2006 or 2007. I played it, then dropped it. I am considering getting back into it but I am looking for a place online to train and have fun before actually going to battle.

Are there any servers that offer this? If so, please post the IP address here and I hope to improve my combat skills.:)

If this is in the wrong section, I apologize; feel free to move it if so.

Thanks in advance,
~Friar

Hm, I doubt there are any proper 'training' servers. But in some way, all are training servers :D

The most important hint to start with: You don't win by killing the enemy first, but by surviving longer than him ;)
Usually the one who spots the enemy first and has the better position (which are related) is the one who survives - not the better shooter. Follow your teammates at the beginning and look out when they are getting cautious - from now on always use cover, and check your surroundings before moving on. Act as if you were in movie, dive from cover to cover, hit the dirt when bullets wizz next to your head etc. :D
After a while you'll get to know the good routes on the maps, get the hang where dangerous spots are (and how to avoid them with sneaky flanking action), learn when to advance or change position and how to survive firefights.

Aiming of course helps to really use those advantages, but best aiming doesnt help if you are in the open and your enemy has good cover. The above tips you can use with any weapon, but are especially true for bolt-rifles. Once you mastered the above, the bolt-rifles are probably one of the most reliable weapons for you and you'll dont mind 'being stuck' with them often because no other slot is free.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Start with a blot action, 'cause it is the most challenging to get the hang of, and if you can get proficient at that than you can do anything. Unless your me where you can seem to do assault trooper right and end up using a valuable slot that can be used for another better player. As for training servers some of the major clans used to have good practice servers, but those either have been located to other maps such as some 24/7 servers... while others have been used for clan matches and scrims and they did not take down the password requirement

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Make sure you have watched the infantry and vehicle tutorial videos. You can either get them through steam or I think they are on youtube. They are actually very use full for the new player.

(We could really do with TW making a squad leader tutorial at some point too. But if you are starting out your best staying away from this role.)

Get your self a microphone. it's a lot easier to ask for advice in game with one, and people are more likely to respond.

One final bit of advice I would give you is turn your game resolution up as high as you can manage. The standard settings the game installs with make seeing targets over a few 100m away very hard.

Upvote 0
Start your own practice game and play against the bots, gradually increasing the bots skill to match your own, or vice versa.
This will help you to get accustomed to the maps,and using the weapons, not much good for tactics,but you have to start learning the basic skills before worrying about tactics.
Buying the game and jumping onto a server is great, but RO has a steep learning curve, and because of this many people have given up before they have had a chance to find out just how good the game is.
And always remember, the bots are your friends, honestly, they really are! (little barstewards)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Honestly, what Reznor said is some of the best advice I have ever heard.(no offense to everyone else of course.)
The only thing I can add is what I say to all new players; keep your head down, aim your shots and stay close to friendlies.
Welcome back, hope you enjoy your stay, RO is very rewarding after you get over the learning curve.

Upvote 0
Friar any server is a training server. All of the veteran players need targets so feel free to join any server and start training. You'll learn real quick to do what most have already suggested or you'll simply see your name in lights way too often.

Hope you enjoy your stay and get that target back in the game we need em...

First and foremost the key is CAPS. For all rookies reading this, you get 10 points for CAPS and ONLY 1 point for kill unless it's the Squad Leader you kill, they equal 3 (I think)... LOL

The other key IS DO NOT PLAY HERO... What this statement means is when you are in a cap zone you simply keep your head down while the meter is moving in your teams favor. Too many newbs get in the zone and the meter starts moving and they'll pop up their heads over a hill or jump around a corner thinking or trying to get that one more point or kill and guess what (THEY DIE) (That is what I call playing HERO) now the rest of the guys who have been in the zone for the last 5 minutes still waiting for one more guy to get back to the zone have to hold their own until the meter starts moving again. Now if that newb would have just stayed down in the first place everyone would have capped and moved to the next cap zone and he would have gotten 10 points rather than 0.

So take it from me the CAP MASTER - PLAYING HERO = 0

Last edited:
Upvote 0