• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Perk "BruteGunner" aka Heavy Gunner

Thanks Poosh for updating that. I actually found that problem a while back, but totally for got to update it on here :\ so much going on, between work, life, and then keeping my servers updated and trying to fulfill request on them.... I forgot... :/ I'm thinking there was a few other code mistakes i found on a few of the other perks also... But, i forgot to make note of what they were... :\ It's no long just as simple as copying and pasting the perks from my servers to here. because I have changed and added weapons... and changed, fixed and updated the perks even more for my servers :)

Thank you again Poosh for updating the public version of the perk. Maybe one day my life will calm down to where i can get back to normal... Once i get the perks where i want them, and i stop updating them with weapons and such... i put a final version of them for download.. but, that's going to be a while.. mainly because it's going to be a slow process or changing the coding of the textures,sounds, animation code to work with the code Poosh came up with for server perks. Also, does anyone know if Marco is going to add the code to server perks?

Yeah :D it's awesome :D Love making everyone work as a team... or the squad won't last long, especially in mid to late waves... :p I sadly had to remove the Hellfire until i can free up some memory :( miss him and the Brute :( Had to because of the 2GB memory limit :( Was really hoping Marco would add that code into server perks.. but, I may just go ahead and add it, was really hoping to keep from making a custom version of server perks, would be easier in future upgrades... however, with Steam Workshop... I have been running into issues with clients not being able to join, since I changed the Mut file... which should be server side only... but since the work shop acts different with the files... Looks like I have no other choice, but to make a modded version of server perks :\ Yet another project and fix for the weekend I guess, if time permits... :\

Might as well get poosh to integrate your perks into his ScrnBalance mutator. It's not like you won't get the credit

Upvote 0
Take a look on brute gunner stat table I made:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvJpErJc60xbdDRkTXl2eW5sVkJ5a3F0eFVqck5feGc

Original M249, M41A and Chaingun can kill 6p HoE Patriach without reloading :)
I know that you have designed brute gunner for custom servers and more harcore gaming, but we were playing HoE, level 6 max, Brute + Shiver + Jason + SuperZombies + Doom3 monsters and even then 3 Brute Gunners made other perks act like faked players.

Upvote 0
Take a look on brute gunner stat table I made:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvJpErJc60xbdDRkTXl2eW5sVkJ5a3F0eFVqck5feGc

Original M249, M41A and Chaingun can kill 6p HoE Patriach without reloading :)
I know that you have designed brute gunner for custom servers and more harcore gaming, but we were playing HoE, level 6 max, Brute + Shiver + Jason + SuperZombies + Doom3 monsters and even then 3 Brute Gunners made other perks act like faked players.

I'm on my phone right now, so probably won't be able to check it out until later this evening :) Actually some of the other perks are just as strong if not stronger than the brute, especially later in the perk levels :) my servers are also little on the insane side, and even now with high level brutes and other high level perks that I made, the pat is near impossible to kill... You kill him with about 5 or 6 players on the sever, you can say you've earned the kill :p now with 2 players the pat can be taken out with the sentry tech and or saboteur with several of extreme pipes and other pipes... Don't think we have been successful or really tried taking on the pat as the brute on my servers since I fixed the boss round up right before Christmas :p

I'm glad to see you was able to balance the perk out though for vanilla server play. I never play vanilla anymore, just got to boring. I like insane to keep things interesting :p however, with the balanced brute, i say hell on earth is more challenging now with that perk :D

Upvote 0
Shouldn't they ALL be roughly equal at the same level?

Some what... but i set each perk with it's pro and weakness. The sentry tech and Sab have the extreme pipe bombs, that can do a lot of damage at the get go... and even more as you level the perk. plus the price of the bomb goes down as the perk levels. However, the sentry tech does not get a ammo discount as the sab does. :) and the sentry tech does not get a large defense protection against explosives like the sab (i'm actually testing 100% resistance on the Sab right now, to see if it will work correctly, if so, i will add when i update the perk). But, the Sentry tech gets a nice armor bonus as the sab has extremly weak armor :) so... just those two perks alone, you can see pros and cons. the sentry has a large selection of weapons, however the sab is about twice as fast as the sentry(even though the sentry tech is fast itself). Both perks take an increase in damage, however the sab takes about a 1/4 more or so of more extra damage than the sentry :)

Now the Brute, at later level becomes what it's suppose to be... I firing machine, that does a lot of damage none stop... just not all at once like the some of the sentry tech and sab bombs... But each perk servers a purpose... now the SMGs isn't near as strong, but can be back up support or can be used as a flanker, to attack with quick fire from the side and run back as others continue the fire from afront... the Guardian, at later levels is a tank, and with the highest armor increase of all the perks, can take a lot of damage while everyone reloads or gets back together from a broken line... now... after the Guardian does his job,... and if he lives.. runs back to the sentry tech for more armor... because that is the perks strong point... the sniper, does a high amount of damage from afar, but has some speed to get away,but should not be left alone...

So, each perk if used together as a squad, will work and do wonders... where people will fail, especially on my server on the boss round.. is everyone goes brute or sentry perk... because the first thing that comes to mind is damage... and not tactical combat ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Guardiannknight
Btw, where your servers are located and what's the address of your most extreme one? I'd like to test it.

Heading to work right now :p I'll give a more descriptive comment when I get there. :) but the servers are located in the USA. Click on the link to my website, you will see 4 servers there. The main server is port 7715. Again, I will give a better description for each server here in a little :p

Upvote 0
Ip address for all the servers is 68.68.66.211

main server port 7715 –––> this is the main server that gets the most traffic and the one I usually play on :)

port 7710–––> is the swarmed server, called the last stand. It's got a higher zed count, with larger zed squads and bots are on the sever to keep it at 6 players, so there are a lot of zeds... You start with 50k money, but I have been told by regulars that even that amount isn't enough :p

Port 7707–––>easy difficulty, frag fest :D what it sounds like.... However, the amount of zeds is about double the zeds of the swarmed server (a lot of zeds to kill :D ) however, you can be over taken quite fast in later waves...

Port 7713––>friendly fire on, half damaged for friendly fire. The ZED count is half of what the main server is, and the zeds at once is lower. Definitely a team based server.

I've had to remove some zeds like the brute and hellfire.. And some custom zeds... However, thanks for your code for ServerPerks, i will
get to add those zeds back along with adding and working on existing perks, since the 2GB memory limit won't be holding me back :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No,but i didn't with your sniper,tech,saboutage perks either,im using them for solo only.Also the weapons for B.G.dont show up in trader either,but the other weapons you did are there.Im very :confused:

Did you have any earlier version of Brute gunner installed? If so, make sure to remove the earlier versions of the u and ucl files from the system directory. And make sure the new u and ucl files are in the system directory. Just trying to cover every option here :) other than that, I'm puzzled as well...

also, check for typo. I have done that before... Wonder why something isn't working.. To find i left out a letter :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you have any earlier version of Brute gunner installed? If so, make sure to remove the earlier versions of the u and ucl files from the system directory. And make sure the new u and ucl files are in the system directory. Just trying to cover every option here :) other than that, I'm puzzled as well...

also, check for typo. I have done that before... Wonder why something isn't working.. To find i left out a letter :p
Nope i only have V111,and i copied all weapon names and perk from your post.Very weird how that's the only one not working!

Upvote 0
This isn't required. ServerPerks adds it automatically to ServerPackages, when you add weapons to the trader.

Check the log file, maybe you can find a problem description there.

This ^^^^^ I did not know :eek: thank you for the information :) this will be one less thing I will need to do when adding perks to my servers :D

Now this has me wondering... I wonder if this is the reason the ref codes are acting no different (saving RAM for the great 2GB limit), other than helping clients from crashing as much. :) Meaning, i wonder if not putting the weapon calling in the killing floor ini file will allow the code you gave, to save memory for the weapons where I recoded them with the ref code, will only load the weapons as needed... Will definitely check when I get home this evening... It's just an idea, but sense server perks adds the weapons automatically since they are listed in the trader, then maybe the code will work to save server game RAM. Because it makes sense really, by putting the weapon calling in the killing floor ini file, they are going to load right up. At the very least, maybe only the weapons I have listed in the trader would load, and the ones I don't have listed would wait to load when needed... But really hoping this will allow the ref code to work as I hoped and thought it would :) will see this evening :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Removing ServerPackages from ini won't save any memory. It just forces server to send those packages to clients and that's all. Package isn't loaded automatically after client receives it. Even more, if the engine requires some data from that package, only that data will be loaded, not the entire package.

Upvote 0
Removing ServerPackages from ini won't save any memory. It just forces server to send those packages to clients and that's all. Package isn't loaded automatically after client receives it. Even more, if the engine requires some data from that package, only that data will be loaded, not the entire package.

Interesting, i figured ServerPackages in the ini also told the server what to load. Thank you again for the information. :) I'll remove the weapon callings and see if anything changes. At the very least, I will save me a little time adding perks to the servers :)

As for the server or client only using or loading part of packages, i'm not for certain. It's hard to type and explain, especially since I'm on my phone, but here is an example. Hopefully this makes sense.

The dead space zeds. I use only the zeds in my sandbox. So I place the deadspace in my ServerPackages. Now,whether I add only one zed or all of the dead space zeds in sandbox, the mod seems to load all the zeds and not just the one or two I would use. Because I have tried this to save memory. And it doesn't work. So, i'm not certain if it's the server that is loading all the package or if it's the client, it might be client side the entire package is loading. Because, since I'm right at the 2GB limit, i have tried several things, and when a mod is used, all of it seems to be placed in memory. It may not be server side, it may just be client side. Because when I say I'm hitting the 2GB limit, the server is not crashing. I have done that before, it's not doing that. What happens now is, if I have to much loading up on the server, a map will load, however clients are stuck on the connecting screen. And depending on the map, some maps will work some won't, until I remove a zombie, a weapon or something to free memory. If i keep adding stuff, more and more maps will do the same. The server loads them, but clients are stuck on connecting screen. Coming back to the dead space zeds. When I have hit this issue with maps, i have tried going and removing some of the dead space zeds, just to see if it would help, and it didn't. I got the same results with all the zeds just as if I cut them down to only 2 of the dead space zeds.

However I like all the dead space zeds, do I ended up removing other zeds or weapons :/

so, i'm thinking, that it's the clients engine that is loading everything up and maybe not the server? Because again, I have hit the server limits before.. And you hit the RAM limit, the server crashes. I'm not at that point :) I have found the following happens when you get close to the 2GB limit.

First, you start experiencing what I'm getting. The server will load, but clients are unable to connect to a few maps.

2nd,as you add more stuff, more and more maps do as listed above. The server will load them, but clients are unable to connect fully. They get stuck on the connecting screen.

Now, the size of the map as for file size doesn't seem to be a factor. However, how large space wise the map does seem to be, along with how graphically the map is and such. But not always... I still haven't pinned this one. Because for instance. A small map like No Mercy 3 will not allow clients to fully connect, before a map like Mountain Pass... They are close, but No Mercy will fail to connect before Mountain Pass.

Ok, if you continue adding stuff, and you can find certain maps that will keep allowing clients to connect as you add more stuff, you will eventually hit the server lock up on the first map switch and If you add a few more things, maybe around 10MB or maybe less, you will get the server memory crash on first starting the server.

Now something interesting. I have found that you can load quite a bit more zeds and weapons and such, the first boot up of the server. Meaning, everything will load and the first map and will play no problem. It's when the next map loads, you run into the issue of clients setting and connecting and are unable to connect, or if you are pushing the server 2GB limit, the server will crash. So, it's like, the server or client one, isn't letting go of everything or dumping the memory in RAM before connecting to the next map.

Just some stuff I have taken note while trying to figure out how to increase the memory or add more stuff to the server. :) would be nice of TWI would set and allow LAA. Would give another 1.5GB to 2GB to play with. :)

but, back to the dead space mod. It's not just that mod. It's any mod packed like that. I'm extremely happy that WPC separated the aliens in the aliens mod. That allowed me to use the aliens with out removing anything. Just for another example. I can do the aliens the same way as the dead space zeds. It doesn't matter if I only use one or all of them in sandbox, as long as the package loads, they all load into memory it seems, or well, I'm starting to think it's client side... Or maybe it's server side, and the server holds clients in the connecting screen, because the server doesn't have the game memory to allow the connections... Now, weapon packages may work different than zed packages. But, I'm thinking they are the same. Because like the half life weapons. I have that package attached with the sentry tech. Well, my server is at its max however, I was able to add the pulse rifle from the half package to the sentry tech,. And it didn't affect the server at all. Maps are still loading no problem. Meaning the gun was already loading before, even though it wasn't being used. Because the half life package was being loaded. I say that because. I was tried adding another weapon to another perk, and i ran into the client stuck in connection screen problem on certain maps. I then removed the weapon, and tried adding another zed, and ran into the same issue. Then I figured, what the heck, i'll try one of the half life weapons I haven't used, and it worked, with no issues.

Not saying your wrong on the package only loading what is needed, just saying it seems some packages are loading stuff into memory even when the weapons or zeds are not in use.

One thing I've been trying to figure out. Is how to get map changes in the same memory state as when the server loads to the first map. Because that would open up about 50MB of data or maybe a little more, that one could use for more stuff, of for a buffer per say. Buffer meaning, between a crash and no crash.

Last edited:
Upvote 0