• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Perk "BruteGunner" aka Heavy Gunner

Q
yay! its good news that posh and you talked, now i can play heavy gunner with scrnbalance hehe :D thanks to you guys..

btw, i am confuse who to ask, if its you or posh, how do i remove the gun that brute gunner spawns?

because i find it a little bit imbalance as other class don't spawn weapons especialyl at level 3..

is there a way via editing file to remove the spawn weapon or raise the level when it spawn? (brute gunner)

That will be a question for Poosh. I have the perk setup to start with a gun, since the Brute is slow, and the perk revolves around heavy guns. I didn't increase the start gun much damage wise. Kept it close to stock, to give the Brute a weapon that would increase the perk progression, since it's double other perks. Plus, the perks weapons are more expensive due to the fire power. :p

I haven't used scrn for myself, or I would help you. Poosh I'm sure will be able to tell you if removing the gun is possible.

Upvote 0
Q

That will be a question for Poosh. I have the perk setup to start with a gun, since the Brute is slow, and the perk revolves around heavy guns. I didn't increase the start gun much damage wise. Kept it close to stock, to give the Brute a weapon that would increase the perk progression, since it's double other perks. Plus, the perks weapons are more expensive due to the fire power. :p

I haven't used scrn for myself, or I would help you. Poosh I'm sure will be able to tell you if removing the gun is possible.
Actually it'll be you as your the perk coder. Inside the perk file just change the part where it has
Code:
// Give Extra Items as default
static function AddDefaultInventory(KFPlayerReplicationInfo KFPRI, Pawn P)

Upvote 0
Actually it'll be you as your the perk coder. Inside the perk file just change the part where it has
Code:
// Give Extra Items as default
static function AddDefaultInventory(KFPlayerReplicationInfo KFPRI, Pawn P)

Yes I know I could do that ;) But, that would be changing and making an entire perk for one person... I would not mind doing that, but if I did it for one person, then another and another would ask for special setups, and it would get a little crazy... :eek:

I have never used SRCN mod, so I was not for certain, if there was an option to do such. As for the perk, I have it set with a gun, because as I stated in the prior post, it's needed for this perk class. ;)

Upvote 0
Yes I know I could do that ;) But, that would be changing and making an entire perk for one person... I would not mind doing that, but if I did it for one person, then another and another would ask for special setups, and it would get a little crazy... :eek:

I have never used SRCN mod, so I was not for certain, if there was an option to do such. As for the perk, I have it set with a gun, because as I stated in the prior post, it's needed for this perk class. ;)
You will get this a lot no matter what you do. I get asked things for my scoreboard and weapons already because it's how they want it. You have to take into consideration of all people's views and maybe they might be good enough to be used. When it comes to balancing, maybe it's something you definitely should check out (depending what it is) because they make major impacts sometimes. When it comes to perks, balance is the number 1 criteria.

Upvote 0
You will get this a lot no matter what you do. I get asked things for my scoreboard and weapons already because it's how they want it. You have to take into consideration of all people's views and maybe they might be good enough to be used. When it comes to balancing, maybe it's something you definitely should check out (depending what it is) because they make major impacts sometimes. When it comes to perks, balance is the number 1 criteria.

Yes, totally agree ;) I do think a lot of people do not understand the amount of time that goes into each mod. :\ Just for a simple change, and then going back and changing the version numbers in each source file... that can easily take 30 minutes to an hour, then compressing the files, and uploading them and getting the new version set for download, it takes a lot of time. I can see why a lot of modders have switched to the SteamWorkshop, just for that. Not using version numbers, because that does save a lot of time.

But, until they get some kind of dedicated server support, my mods will be staying here. Because, as a dedicated server operator, the SteamWorkshop has become a nightmare... :( Mainly because of how it handles the files it downloads... The files can't be wrote over via servers... The server files are like cache, the SteamWorkshop files are like system files... But... not going to get into that... Just something that I wonder will become the downfall of KillingFloor, or at least it's dedicated severs(modded servers)... I see either two things happening...
1. Dedicated server operators will just quit using modders creations, if they are on the workshop, unless the product is completely finished with no more worries of updates, and they won't have to worry about file mismatch, since the server cannot over write the workshop files, even if the client restarts their game and tries to join again. Which will give listen servers the upper hand... which is the exact opposite from any other game i have played.. guess that is why it's bugging me out... :eek:

2. Killing Floor will die down, because lack of modded servers. Standard servers are not effected, but modded servers are where you keep players. I for one would have moved on to the next game after I had maxed out my perks. Mods and especially modded servers is what gives games new life.

I think I will copy and paste the above to the WorkShop thread... Sorry, for getting off track, just something that stays on my mind.. :\

Back to topic ;)
As for taking note of what players request. I do that fully. :) It's the players suggestions that help me finish and help balance the perks i create :) What a lot of players do forget, is the perks are created for modded servers and hard servers at the least. My perks are not made for normal servers, unless they are modded to the point they are more difficult. Like the two normal modded servers I run. This is where the perks first came an idea, because they are needed bad, as part of the squad. :)

As for the Brute gunner, at first, I had the perk, starting with no weapon. But, then I got complaints on here and also on my servers, that the weapons were to expensive... and then if I would have knocked the price of the weapons down, that would make them unbalanced, because they do more damage themselves... :\ So, my fix was to give a starting weapon, that was about stock for the gun i gave, knock the price down on it a little, but up the weight some to help balance. Because, for the Brute, if the perk does not start with a gun, then it's unbalanced in the other direction, because of the very slow movement speed. So, it's kinda like a no win situation. Can't make everyone happy.

I think where the problem lays is. My perks are not like the stock perks. Because again, the stock perks were created for the stock game and not created in mind of a modded game. But, I do take players comments into consideration :) It has helped me fine tune the balance on the perks I have made. I just cannot take all the suggestions, because, it's impossible. The mass was requesting a starting weapon, or to have the guns cheaper, and the only solution was to start with a weak gun. If not, no one used the perk on my servers. They would start out with it, and then just switch to something else, and ask for one of the two things above. :)

About on every mod on here, i have seen request for different stuff for the mod. I think it comes down to people don't realize the time that goes into the mods and also what the mods where created in image for and from. :) But, I will continue to take note on suggestions and comments, because they do help a lot. I just cannot accept them all :( Sorry everyone, it's just not possible. I do ask that you play one or both of my modded normal servers, you will see why the perks are the way they are. ;)

EDIT:
Also, one more reason I like adding a small weak start up weapon to each perk I make, is because, it's good to see a different set of perks running around on the first wave ;) instead of everyone going sharp shooter :p Everyone picks sharp shooter because it comes with the standard pistol, and you actually get a small perk increase for its use :) So, in a way the sharp shooter would be unbalanced. :p Just saying ;) I think if each perk had a small and weak weapon, that each perk could start off with, that would 1. progress it's points and 2. give a small increase for the weapon because of the perk, you would see a variety of perk classes running around in the first wave or two, at early level perks ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Will be ScrnBruteGunner111 ?!

I will try sometime this week or by next weekend hopefully :) I took a weekend off from coding at all. :p I didn't want to do anything really, other than game some... But, with the update that came out... that caused some headaches for Friday evening... along with some on Saturday, when I found that I had done changes to my backup file of my Killingfloor.ini file of my modded servers since the last time I backed it up... :/

But, I'll try to make one here soon :)

Upvote 0
i can't buy grenades for the M4A1. i get them sometimes only out of the ammo box.

This has happened to me with the M4A1, not always but on a rare occasion. Try going to your pistol, firing off a few rounds, and then reload, and go back and resupply your ammo. That should take care of it. The M4A1 did that before I added it to the perk. Not a big deal really :p because usually the firing of the pistol and reloading it, then going and resupplying your weapons usually fixes it. I run into this with the chaingun ammo also. Not the rockets but, the ammo. And the pistol trick works for it also. You could probably use any gun, but the pistols ammo is cheap, so... it's the one i use :D

Upvote 0
You can add a new gun via ScrnBalance.ini for version 108 btw.

Thanks Poosh ;)

Also, for the many that use Scrn Balance. I haven't forgotten you all. I just haven't had much free time. :\ My servers and such comes first, and trying to update and edit the perks i've made for it, with fixes, updates and accepted suggestions to the perks along with the server :D I have updates coming for several of the perks I made, and also a new perk i have made :p I'm hoping this upcoming weekend I'll have some free time... we'll see. But I haven't forgotten Scrn Balance.

Upvote 0
Thanks Poosh ;)

Also, for the many that use Scrn Balance. I haven't forgotten you all. I just haven't had much free time. :\ My servers and such comes first, and trying to update and edit the perks i've made for it, with fixes, updates and accepted suggestions to the perks along with the server :D I have updates coming for several of the perks I made, and also a new perk i have made :p I'm hoping this upcoming weekend I'll have some free time... we'll see. But I haven't forgotten Scrn Balance.
THis is pretty much me lol.

Upvote 0
You gonna laugh, but I managed to balance even Brute Gunner. It still is slightly OP with stock zeds, but simply adding Shivers to the game brings Brute Gunner in the line with other perks and forces him to rely on teammates.

More info here (ScrN version of Brute Gunner only!).

Oh yeah, shivers are evil for the Brute.. :p I actually modded up a Flame Shiver(thanks Hemi for the Shiver :D ) if your interested in it :p Talk about keeping people from just setting there camping.. LOL :D Brute needs back up definiatly with the Flame Shivers :D Actually all the perks do :D (except for a good level firebug) A quick head shot will take it out, but you have to stay on guard for certain, or have your teammates there to back you up. :p So, between the Shivers, Flame Shivers, and the face huggers... Team work is a must on my servers :p

Funny part is... those are the zeds people hate the most... LOL :D Love it :p Promotes teamwork :D

EDIT:

LOL... No head shot damage... that would help... Yeah, when I made the perk or any of the perks i made, i didn't make them for vanilla servers at all.. ;) So, they are waaaayyy OP for stock servers... However, on my servers, the perks and weapons work perfect with the server... actually... if anything, the perks are still weak... especially at lower levels.. and even at maxed out at level 8... the boss round is near impossible... :p But, yeah, that's funny that you actually toned down the perk for balanced stock server play :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There was a bug. Thank you for a feedback. Here is fixed version.

Thanks Poosh for updating that. I actually found that problem a while back, but totally for got to update it on here :\ so much going on, between work, life, and then keeping my servers updated and trying to fulfill request on them.... I forgot... :/ I'm thinking there was a few other code mistakes i found on a few of the other perks also... But, i forgot to make note of what they were... :\ It's no long just as simple as copying and pasting the perks from my servers to here. because I have changed and added weapons... and changed, fixed and updated the perks even more for my servers :)

Thank you again Poosh for updating the public version of the perk. Maybe one day my life will calm down to where i can get back to normal... Once i get the perks where i want them, and i stop updating them with weapons and such... i put a final version of them for download.. but, that's going to be a while.. mainly because it's going to be a slow process or changing the coding of the textures,sounds, animation code to work with the code Poosh came up with for server perks. Also, does anyone know if Marco is going to add the code to server perks?

This is why I consist of keeping the Hellfire and Shiver (with my Shiver's Brother) on my server. Complete anti-campers and will break up a team if not working together. Nice to see others doing the same ;)

Yeah :D it's awesome :D Love making everyone work as a team... or the squad won't last long, especially in mid to late waves... :p I sadly had to remove the Hellfire until i can free up some memory :( miss him and the Brute :( Had to because of the 2GB memory limit :( Was really hoping Marco would add that code into server perks.. but, I may just go ahead and add it, was really hoping to keep from making a custom version of server perks, would be easier in future upgrades... however, with Steam Workshop... I have been running into issues with clients not being able to join, since I changed the Mut file... which should be server side only... but since the work shop acts different with the files... Looks like I have no other choice, but to make a modded version of server perks :\ Yet another project and fix for the weekend I guess, if time permits... :\

Last edited:
Upvote 0