• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New motherboard, incompatible video card?

Panzer Meyer

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2005
North Cacilaci
So I finally decided to upgrade my PC by upgrading my motherboard, CPU, and hard drive.

Gigabyte GA 870a-ud3
AMD Phenom II Black Edition 965 (3.4 GHZ)

I installed everything, come to find out, I need new memory as DDR2 memory will not even fit into a DDR3 motherboard. I turn the system on and I hear a long warning beep, a continues one.

Look up the error in the manual and it says it is due to the graphics card not being seated properly. The video card I have is about 2 and half years old, a NVIDIA 8800GT. I take the graphics card out, turn the system on and it boots just fine, no warning beep of any kind.

I insert the graphics card again, turn the system on, warning beep again. I try this several times, but each time it gives me the warning beep.

So does this mean the graphics card is not compatible with the new motherboard? My thinking is yes, since it is a fairly new board, socket AM3, DDR3 ram, the bus speed is much higher, could it be that this 2-3 year old graphics card is just not capable at performing on this motherboard?

I am going out to buy a new graphics card today, I am thinking of getting the Radeon HD 5770 or Radeon HD 6850 to see if a new graphics card will work. Though I noticed these are DDR5, but I know that doesn't matter and should still work on my board anyway.

Any ideas, suggestions?

So I finally decided to upgrade my PC by upgrading my motherboard, CPU, and hard drive.

Gigabyte GA 870a-ud3
AMD Phenom II Black Edition 965 (3.4 GHZ)

I installed everything, come to find out, I need new memory as DDR2 memory will not even fit into a DDR3 motherboard. I turn the system on and I hear a long warning beep, a continues one.

Look up the error in the manual and it says it is due to the graphics card not being seated properly. The video card I have is about 2 and half years old, a NVIDIA 8800GT. I take the graphics card out, turn the system on and it boots just fine, no warning beep of any kind.

I insert the graphics card again, turn the system on, warning beep again. I try this several times, but each time it gives me the warning beep.

So does this mean the graphics card is not compatible with the new motherboard? My thinking is yes, since it is a fairly new board, socket AM3, DDR3 ram, the bus speed is much higher, could it be that this 2-3 year old graphics card is just not capable at performing on this motherboard?

I am going out to buy a new graphics card today, I am thinking of getting the Radeon HD 5770 or Radeon HD 6850 to see if a new graphics card will work. Though I noticed these are DDR5, but I know that doesn't matter and should still work on my board anyway.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Have you tried updating the BIOS, or trying a different PCI-E slot, or a different graphics card? There shouldnt be any compatibility issues.

Upvote 0
Have you tried updating the BIOS, or trying a different PCI-E slot, or a different graphics card? There shouldnt be any compatibility issues.

I can't update the BIOS as I can't see what's on the screen, there isn't an built in video card on the board. I haven't tried a different PCIe slot, I mean it it has a PCIe x4 slot, but the card is a PCIex16 like most are. I guess I can try to see if it would work in that slot.

I did a google search for the 8800GT and found a thread on the NVIDIA forums where people list motherboard they have found that the video card isn't compatible with. Mine wasn't specifically listed, but a gigabyte motherboard was listed that isn't much older than my board.

Upvote 0
I can't update the BIOS as I can't see what's on the screen, there isn't an built in video card on the board. I haven't tried a different PCIe slot, I mean it it has a PCIe x4 slot, but the card is a PCIex16 like most are. I guess I can try to see if it would work in that slot.

I did a google search for the 8800GT and found a thread on the NVIDIA forums where people list motherboard they have found that the video card isn't compatible with. Mine wasn't specifically listed, but a gigabyte motherboard was listed that isn't much older than my board.

Oh, ok, if you really dont want to buy a new video card, maybe you could borrow a low-end video card from somewhere and try updating the BIOS.

On the other hand if you are ready to buy a new card, go for it, at least it will give you a nice performance boost ;)

Upvote 0
Oh, ok, if you really dont want to buy a new video card, maybe you could borrow a low-end video card from somewhere and try updating the BIOS.

On the other hand if you are ready to buy a new card, go for it, at least it will give you a nice performance boost ;)

That's what I am thinking, it's due time to get a new video card as well. I am just really hoping that it is just an incompatibility issue, and not something else. I mean it is the only thing that makes sense to me.

I don't want to end up buying a new card and it still doesn't work.

Upvote 0
A Hungry Beast.

I used a 8800gt without any problems.
I upgraded to a 460gtx and gave the 8800 to my boy.

He had a poor quality PSU.
The kucfing thing did not shut down when the GPU asked for to much juice.

I am so pissed off.
I had to buy a decent PSU, another GPU, a 450gtx (coz I promised to upgrade for the lad).
600 w PSU, at least.

Do not invest in "no name" PSU units.

Believe me.

Upvote 0
A Hungry Beast.

I used a 8800gt without any problems.
I upgraded to a 460gtx and gave the 8800 to my boy.

He had a poor quality PSU.
The kucfing thing did not shut down when the GPU asked for to much juice.

I am so pissed off.
I had to buy a decent PSU, another GPU, a 450gtx (coz I promised to upgrade for the lad).
600 w PSU, at least.

Do not invest in "no name" PSU units.

Believe me.

The PSU I have should and is plenty, it's a 550W, and has worked just fine in the past. But I know what you mean, before this PSU, I had a crappy one and decided to go with a Name Brand PSU as the generic ones either fry very fast or are just ****ty.

Upvote 0
Apparently, the problem is this. I posted my issue on reddit and one guy asked if I remembered to plug in the extra power cable into the card.

The plug for it is on the upper right hand side of the card, the black notch.

Yea, I am certain that's the problem, because I never plugged that in.

If this is not the issue try checking other parts. I knew someone who got a non-working AMD 1090T. After replacing the motherboard and RAM, and testing 3 other sets of RAM, a different PSU, video card, no video card, 3 other CPUs ect. we determined it was the CPU.

Upvote 0