• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New media: first tank datasheets

Denwad said:
you'd think so until you know what kind of stats the 75mm KwK L/48 has

will penetrate the IS-2 turret front at 500m
yeah, and you'd think that with the converted howitzer that IS2 carries that it's stand a better chance at pentrating the Tiger or Panthers frontal armour from 500 meters as well.

Back on topic, thanks for this Wilsonam. Very cool to see...I just wish as an IS2 fan, that they stood a slightly better chance than they seem to in the beta.

Upvote 0
The Tiger looks less dangerous then the panther especially frontally, considering that the Tiger was definately king of the battlefield even at kursk it be interesting how this relates to RO.

Yes the tiger fame tends to be a little overrated, but at the same time if you read Tigers in the Mud, by Otto Carius, you will see that the fame is not without substance, AT ZIS-2 and 3 had to use tungsten round the penetrate a Tiger and under 100m range.

So it be curious how well it performs

Upvote 0
Starrkiller said:
strange, now the explanation is a jpg, like the others, but when i dled it the first time it was just a "file",
this world is a strange thing:rolleyes:

Starrkiller, the file doesnt have the correct.jpg ending. One of the devs should correct this.

Just go into Tools/View and uncheck the box that says "hide extensions for known file types." Then right click on it and rename it to Datasheet.jpg and you'll see it.

Very nice. I didn't know the Panther's 75mm actually outperformed the Tiger's 88.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bill (Zerisus) and I were discussing the relative strengths of the vehicles when putting this together... led us on to the discussion about WHY the Tiger had such a fearsome rep, when it is actually slower and less powerful than a Panther (frontally).

Couple of points: when the Tiger was first introduced, it was a monster. However, the Soviets kept upgunning, so that by 1944 the 76mm gun was pretty much obsolete - all 85mm and up, except on light tanks and old production T-34s.

The Zis-3 AT gun is a 76mm. The Sherman and other western tanks all carried a 76mm gun. Messing with the numbers, you find that the front of a Tiger is almost impervious to a 76mm round - but 85mm and bigger went home. On the western front, this left us unable to cope with the Tiger properly - while the Soviets, with bigger guns, went "pah!" :)

Upvote 0