• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS New maps for RS: Maggot Hill, Betio and others

Arbeiter1980

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
1. There are at least two unreleased maps for RS - Maggot Hill and Betio. I heard that on Betio one can play as a Japanese Marine, and i'm looking forward to it. There was an announcement a week or two ago that Betio map is in development. Does anybody know if there is any opportunity to play in a beta version of it, and when it will be released?

2. Is there any new information about the maps which will be judged in the Rising Storm Map Contest? What battles of the Pacific War will be covered? It will be very good to see Okinawa and Tarawa among them. And what about an additional map for Iwo Jima featuring Mount Suribachi, with its tunnel network?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
P.S. A small appeal to map makers: please, don't make incomprehensible and nameless maps like Phosphate Plant, without any historical dates and links to any real battles in the Pacific, it ruins historical immersion completely!

If I was a map maker and read this kind of crap, I believe I would quit supporting the game! It was based on a real Battle... Why dont you do some homework instead! This map is one of the best maps that has been made for RS and Im including the TWI maps as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@OP
Check the Level Design forum for works in progress for the RS contest, and try to give constructive/positive feedback. Not all maps that will be entered are featured there, and some most likely will never be finished.

Along with the rest of us, you will need to wait until the entry deadline in November to find out what maps get entered.

Thanks for deleting your comment about Phospate Plant, as it was definitely an error on your part.

Upvote 0
1. There are at least two unreleased maps for RS - Maggot Hill and Betio. I heard that on Betio one can play as a Japanese Marine, and i'm looking forward to it. There was an announcement a week or two ago that Betio map is in development. Does anybody know if there is any opportunity to play in a beta version of it, and when it will be released?

2. Is there any new information about the maps which will be judged in the Rising Storm Map Contest? What battles of the Pacific War will be covered? It will be very good to see Okinawa and Tarawa among them. And what about an additional map for Iwo Jima featuring Mount Suribachi, with its tunnel network?

Nice of you to go back and edit out the stupid comment...Maybe you will finish your homework!

Upvote 0
I seem to have missed OP's notorious comment, but to be fair I get where he's coming from. I'd have preferred for Phosphate Plant to be called Angaur myself, just because it keeps more in tune with the Pacific theme. "Phosphate Plant" could have just as easily been a map from HOS. It is of no consequence what the map is named, honestly, but don't beat the guy into the dirt just for voicing his opinion. As far as I can tell, he wasn't disrespecting the maker at all, just offering criticism.

Upvote 0
To be honest I don't give a **** if it's historically accurate or not (so long as it's realistic, you know, it doesn't break with logic). All I care about is the gameplay and the immersion.

+1.

I think it's absurd that a combat photographer had to be there and a well documented wikipedia article to justify a map. As long as it seems like a reasonably feasible scenario where Imperial Japanese forces may have combated US Marines - it's immersive enough for me.

Think of how many millions of men died in both world wars without any newspaper article, photograph, first hand account.. etc. Entire battles (certainly big/intense/significant enough to justify a video game map) raged without anyone ever truly hearing about or comprehending.

Upvote 0