• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map New map in progress

At this time, i don' t know how many objectives i' m gonna put on .
This map is very big, more than 4500 pine trees at thi time, maybe more than 5500 when it will be finished . LOL.:):)

your using the lyeskrovy group of pine trees SM- Prob the cheapest mass forest you can do - problem is for eg. if you wanted to put some of the single pines in with it you can't match up the trunks v well i found- however much you play with the lighting.
might be worth reskinning your own pine tree SM's ( or even modeling different ones) if they were to be such an important feature of your map- if you don't know how too the skills are prob worth aquiring if you want to take your maps further and its a simple project to kick off with.

edit
actually shut my mouth- it looks fine - the canopy of the tall pines would naturally make things underneath darker - my point simply that i found it a shame that the lyes group of pines had a v different colour saturation as the single pines in the veg package. (in the game not your map- anyway thinking about it they are different types of tree i guess)
nice to see new maps made for the stock game still.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
performance

performance

Did you use a static mesh so that this doesn't kill performance? When I was reading the editing books, they said to use the same static mesh in a map so it only takes one place on the graphics card and then the card uses pointers to the static mesh.
Also, did you 'scale' some of them to make them smaller or larger? Does anyone know if a scaled static mesh then takes a second spot on the card?
Final question, did you put fallen tree's and leaning trees in the forest? Would add to realism IMO.

Looks good so far. :)

Upvote 0
Did you use a static mesh so that this doesn't kill performance? When I was reading the editing books, they said to use the same static mesh in a map so it only takes one place on the graphics card and then the card uses pointers to the static mesh.

instancing.

"only" saves the memory for storing the vertex data, but the mesh still has to be rendered.

Upvote 0
This map is currently up and running on 2Manny's ROOST for anyone wanting to give it a try. See you on the battlefield.

FYI: You have a problem with your uz2 file it is different than what it should be for the map file. I had to re-compress it and the size becomes different.

The problem is the quick download will download and since it is not correct to the map file it will then download the map file which of course will take 15 minutes. By re-compressing the map file I was able to fix it. The new size of the uz2 file should be 4991 instead of 4995.

Thought I'd let everyone know this for those putting it on their servers or site.

Fixes: When crossing the bridge as a German and reaching the other side the screen stutters and in a couple other places (Probably needs some optimization etc.) and noticed a few floating trees. Haven't played much to see anything else as of yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think you should make the lighting and textures more dynamic/interesting. I spent a few minutes making a test area in your map to show you what I mean.

Shot00014-1.jpg

Shot00019-2.jpg

Shot00011-1.jpg

Upvote 0
It looks great, to put rocks is a good idea, no time to put it on b1, but sure on b2, for the light, i' gonna see if a big part of the players have good fps in game, and after to adjust it .
The map is supposed to be at the morning , but it' s a good idea .:)
I' m gonna put more statics, fences dead pines and else ....:cool:
Maybe rescale a part of the pines, and grass , it don' t take more polygons ....

Last edited:
Upvote 0