• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Guns Yay!! Now need new ZEDS!!

The exact reason why Sirens can be so deadly, particularly since they tend to hide behind other Zeds. If the advantage is really that ridiculous, Sirens would be gone by now.

A ranged attack Specimen would be really balanced in fact.

The Siren's attack is so lethal simply because it's an AOE effect that GOES RIGHT THROUGH YOU, YOUR BUDDIES AND THE ZOMBIES.

A specimen who's got a gun strapped to him could easily be balanced by the fact that his allies would block his shots (IE, he has to be exposed to be a threat), he can only shoot one player at any given time, and he can't damage you if you're not in front of him because guns, unlike the Siren's scream, are not 360 degree attacks.

Upvote 0
I think something similar to the Centaurs in Fallout 3 would be a fantastic addition to the game.

They shamble about as a big mess of human body parts, with a big tri pronged tongue. However, they can also spit irradiated saliva balls at you.

If a ranged specimen were to be added to the game, I'd prefer it if they didn't have a gun but some kind of biological weapon.

Ideas for said biological weapon:

• Spine like protrusions growing from the forearms. The specimen could aim their arms at you and dislodge a spine. They would fly at you at about the speed of a grenade being lobbed. If they hit, they make your screen flash purple and your movement speed is reduced by 5% for each application of poison until healed.
  • Spitting appendage. Have a specimen that has some kind of appendage on their jaw/back/neck/shoulder that spits out balls of bloat bile, only in straight lines with a visible projectile.
  • Tentacle. Have a specimen with an extendable tentacle that can be used to grab and drag you a certain distance. The animation could be like a bullwhip. The tentacle would be reared back, slung forward a set distance (10 to 15 yards maybe) and it if hits, it brings the player toward the specimen by 5 yards.
  • Immobilizing goo. Make a variant of the bloat that can vomit up piles of adhesive goo. This goo temporarily slows down movement speed by 60% when walking through it. The flamethrower could burn and dry the goo, giving firebugs a secondary task.

Upvote 0
Immobilizing goo. Make a variant of the bloat that can vomit up piles of adhesive goo. This goo temporarily slows down movement speed by 60% when walking through it. The flamethrower could burn and dry the goo, giving firebugs a secondary task.

This is the one that gets my vote. A specimen that can slow down the ultra fast perks would do a lot for difficulty, and could DOOM a player who isn't payingh attention. I like how it gives the FB yet another use in game too. I'd like a specimen that could shoot a projectile both in a straight line (for interior maps) as well as lob them indirectly when there's room (like in Foundry, Farm, ect....)

I'm sort of the opinion there's no such thing as "too hard" in KF. Specimen with real advantages (like using other specimen for cover while they attack at range) can only make the game more fun and more intense.

Upvote 0
I'm sort of the opinion there's no such thing as "too hard" in KF. Specimen with real advantages (like using other specimen for cover while they attack at range) can only make the game more fun and more intense.

I'd like to disagree with you a little bit here. I'm all for specimens that give new challenges to the players, but there is a line that can be crossed. Sometimes I think the fleshpounds cross it when they spawn in numbers greater than 2 :p

But yeah, a ranged specimen would be GREAT. Especially since the new weapons kind of take away some of the difficulty this game has.

Upvote 0
once again the bloat that slows people with sticki glue is a variation of already present zeds. this is not a bad thing but a good thing because variations are less work then totaly new zeds. and stalkers should just get a backstabbing knife...:eek:

It would be cool to see stalkers get a buff to damage when attacking from behind. Make them like the rogue/thief of specimens.

They already have stealth, they already have some speed, but they have no backstab. I don't think it should do excessive damage, but somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 health in suicidal would be acceptable. 35 in hard, 30 in normal, 15 in beginner.

Upvote 0
howabout a swarm like 'zed' persey. consisting of about 20 undersized crawlers, these little bastards come in a small swarm and will crawl like ants over cars, on walls and on ceilings. better be packing a flamethrower! ( or grenades )
With that suggestion in mind, how about just adding an update for crawlers to climb on walls and celings too.

Upvote 0
It would be cool to see stalkers get a buff to damage when attacking from behind. Make them like the rogue/thief of specimens.

They already have stealth, they already have some speed, but they have no backstab. I don't think it should do excessive damage, but somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 health in suicidal would be acceptable. 35 in hard, 30 in normal, 15 in beginner.

Or we could make their damage done from behind bypass armour? That way, they technically are more dangerous from behind.

Upvote 0
I'd like to summarise some of the most favored Ideas in case TWI would like to take a peek at this thread anytime soon:
(separated into two groups)

Enemies
1)Dog-like enemy. Shorter than Clot, fast as Charging Gorefast.
2)Gigantic enemy? Was suggested a few times. Something that could charge and stun people. Massively big and slow, but no charge/rage.
3)Ranged enemy; Perhaps Biotic Soldier with small gun grafted to it?
4)Swarm; huge amount of small insects? Like the Scarabs in TimeSplitters3 I'm assuming. Weak to fire.
5)Zombie with multiple heads, making it harder for Sharpshooters to handle.
6)Flying enemy
7)Zombies with lasers on their foreheads; for the lulz

Effects
1)Poison; slowly kills until player heals/gets healed
2)Slow-down; slows players hit
3)Ranged fire/gun/biological attack; single player targetting. Can be blocked by other Zeds to even the odds.
4)Suicidal "explosion"
5)Bonus to nearby Zeds. Zed support ability of some kind.
6) Zed that can regen.
7)Zed that retreats when weakened? Would probably be best couple with either a ranged attack of Regen.
8) Hallucinogenic. One that would screw over your screen with a multitude of colours for a period of time.

I also just had the idea of a Zed whose sole purpose is to be repulsive. Nothing amazing damage-wise, but with a few abilities that are just plain wrong looking or sounding. The ability to disgust/annoy/sicken/scare players could be potentially great imho.

Upvote 0
or even better a boss for each official map!(modded maps just pick one)
we could have

a shambling mass of cow parts for farm(after taking damage it splits off smaller shambling masses)

a walking tank for foundry(lots of metal plates on him and such, maybe only vulnerable from behind or sides)

patriarch would stay for biotics lab

west london flying creature or something(maybe some of the building would collapse making it all become open or it would keep spawning zombies at you till you came outside)

maybe a giant underground worm for manor/farm(which would destroy the house when it entered)

patriarch might stay for office too

Upvote 0
I was thinking a creeping doom type of specimen. This is a BIG SOB that is a bit larger than a fleshpound.

It moves VERY slowly but takes a ridiculous amount of damage to take down. So you can fairly easily take him down if you all focus fire on him BUT you have to remember to not ignore all the other specimens that are around you.

So basically it adds a sort of "OH ****!" when you see it and you still have to remember to kill all the smaller specimens around you and then go back to dealing with him.

So you HAVE to kill him before he gets to you or he will kill you with a single no matter how much life/armor you have.

So hes not a huge threat just a constant reminder that you cannot ignore him because he will not go away on his own.

Also make his attack deceptively fast for something of his size. So if you do forget about him and he manages to close in on you its going to be an extremely quick smack that is going to reduce you to mush.

I think with his slow speed a lot of players might accidenlty forget about him which would allow him to showcase his deadly nature. So you can only ignore him for so long before you absolutely have to corner him and just pray he does not get you into a corner before you can bring him down.

Upvote 0
How about a zombie that is like a clot but wont die. I mean do enough damage hell fall, but somewhat later (give or take 15 seconds) hell stand up and attack again. Lets just call it a "Regenerator" and have behave random so he can evenly attack everyone. Amongst the dead no one would notice until he stand up again. He wont die until hes the last one and would make lvl 5s a run for their money.

Upvote 0
How about a zombie that is like a clot but wont die. I mean do enough damage hell fall, but somewhat later (give or take 15 seconds) hell stand up and attack again. Lets just call it a "Regenerator" and have behave random so he can evenly attack everyone. Amongst the dead no one would notice until he stand up again. He wont die until hes the last one and would make lvl 5s a run for their money.

That's a terrible idea.

I do however agree with EVERYTHING SAMMERS said.

It makes total sense, TWI.

Upvote 0
Was thinking about a parasite zed that can take control of any dead corpse. Said corpse would be resurrected with 50% of it's health and would move 15% slower.

Parasites only have 1hp.
Hosts can be either Zed or Human.
Hosts can not be burned or decapitated.
Human hosts will use a single 9mm pistol with 30 bullets/ 2 clips, and then use a knife if necessary.

Upvote 0
I also just had the idea of a Zed whose sole purpose is to be repulsive. Nothing amazing damage-wise, but with a few abilities that are just plain wrong looking or sounding. The ability to disgust/annoy/sicken/scare players could be potentially great imho.

I don't think that if the model and sounds were gross anyone would care, just shoot it... but a twist on your idea is that it could make noises like other zombies so if its around a corner and sounds like a FP you freak out, but realize it isnt or something ...

Upvote 0