• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New GFX Card

So just a little recap to make sure.
  • The 8800's with the G92 core are the ones to go for?
  • The GTS (G92) is better than the GT (G92)?
  • The original 8800 GTX is on par with these G92 Core cards?
Thanks! :eek:
Pretty much. The GTX will do better in some instances and vice versa. The one thing the GTX has that the new (G92) don't is 2 SLI Bridge connections. The GTX and Ultra are currently the only cards that are Tri-SLI supported. For instance, on the evga 780i Chipset MoBo there are 3 PCI-E x16 ports, so you can run 3 GTX's in SLI.

Upvote 0
http://evga.com/splashpage.asp

Tri-SLI is the latest nvidia tech. When the 9800GX2 dual GPU cards come out, running two of them will essentially Quad-SLI.

I own a 7950GX2, and several posts i saw on guru3d and similar sites suggest that quad SLi is no longer continued with the forceware drivers

As for quad sli in general, well, i know that its possible for a long time, basically also only with GX2 or similar cards to my knowledge, which come with an integrated SLi controller already, so 2 GX2 cards can be again connected with SLi to create a quad.

I highly doubt the performance boost btw you will get from that though. Quad SLi for one required more than only decent CPUs and even then the benchmark are way worse than "convincing" for that money tbh. The doubt wont go away until there are several independant benchmarks ;)

Upvote 0
I looked up the XFX GPUs at a local store's website and I noticed they have up to 3 versions of the 8800GTS 512 and 3 versions of the 8800GTX!?!

With different clockings! Are XFX known for having such a variety of the same product or is it a scam? I'm asking cause I've always stuck with Asus in the past and they have at best two versions (the regular one, plus a 'top' version that's slightly superclocked) and not for almost all GPUs. And the XFX prices are attractive...

EDIT: Scratch all of the above. Reading a review that analyzes 4 8800GTXs including the XXX XFX one :eek: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I say the 8800GT 512 is one of the best value for money cards out there. It can handle a LOT of stress, and seems to be really stable. Half the GTX series seem to have problems with forceware.

My advice is make sure you have a nice PSU to back it up. PSU's are often forgotten, but a good quality is needed for most modern graphics cards. Check the ampage requirements on the card you buy with your PSU. If it isn't enough, or barely enough, you'll have stability problems. (speaking from experience with several builds)

Upvote 0