New GFX Card

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Donut

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 19, 2005
Well, the link goes to a BFG one, but if you got the money, go for it. Might be getting one myself later this year.

BuddyLee

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 12, 2006
NCC 1701-D Neutral Zone
So just a little recap to make sure.
  • The 8800's with the G92 core are the ones to go for?
  • The GTS (G92) is better than the GT (G92)?
  • The original 8800 GTX is on par with these G92 Core cards?
Thanks! :eek:
Pretty much. The GTX will do better in some instances and vice versa. The one thing the GTX has that the new (G92) don't is 2 SLI Bridge connections. The GTX and Ultra are currently the only cards that are Tri-SLI supported. For instance, on the evga 780i Chipset MoBo there are 3 PCI-E x16 ports, so you can run 3 GTX's in SLI.

PUTZ

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Baltimore, MD, USA
Might I suggest go with an eVGA model, since, well...at least in the US you can "Step Up" to any higher model for the MSRP cost difference within 3 months.

It's epic and I'm hoping nVidia releases soon...since I've got 2 months and change left on mine...

worluk

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
For instance, on the evga 780i Chipset MoBo there are 3 PCI-E x16 ports, so you can run 3 GTX's in SLI.

hm, nvidia is having drivers for that? i mean decent ones? to my knowledge >2 SLi was dicontinued in the driver a while ago.

=GG= Mr Moe

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 16, 2006
Newton, NJ
Well, I am sure there are just some people who spend more time upgrading to the best and latest rig and get more enjoyment out of doing that than gaming.

worluk

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
http://evga.com/splashpage.asp

Tri-SLI is the latest nvidia tech. When the 9800GX2 dual GPU cards come out, running two of them will essentially Quad-SLI.

I own a 7950GX2, and several posts i saw on guru3d and similar sites suggest that quad SLi is no longer continued with the forceware drivers

As for quad sli in general, well, i know that its possible for a long time, basically also only with GX2 or similar cards to my knowledge, which come with an integrated SLi controller already, so 2 GX2 cards can be again connected with SLi to create a quad.

I highly doubt the performance boost btw you will get from that though. Quad SLi for one required more than only decent CPUs and even then the benchmark are way worse than "convincing" for that money tbh. The doubt wont go away until there are several independant benchmarks ;)

Athena

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Are You in that Mood Yet!?
www.inforcers.org
I looked up the XFX GPUs at a local store's website and I noticed they have up to 3 versions of the 8800GTS 512 and 3 versions of the 8800GTX!?!

With different clockings! Are XFX known for having such a variety of the same product or is it a scam? I'm asking cause I've always stuck with Asus in the past and they have at best two versions (the regular one, plus a 'top' version that's slightly superclocked) and not for almost all GPUs. And the XFX prices are attractive...

EDIT: Scratch all of the above. Reading a review that analyzes 4 8800GTXs including the XXX XFX one :eek: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Monkwarrior

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
I'm using a 8800GT, works like a shine and much cheaper then the GTS version.

I also have a 7950GX2 with 1 Gb memory which I'm not using and willing to sell for a small price.

Monk.

CtR`

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 2, 2007
London, UK
I say the 8800GT 512 is one of the best value for money cards out there. It can handle a LOT of stress, and seems to be really stable. Half the GTX series seem to have problems with forceware.

My advice is make sure you have a nice PSU to back it up. PSU's are often forgotten, but a good quality is needed for most modern graphics cards. Check the ampage requirements on the card you buy with your PSU. If it isn't enough, or barely enough, you'll have stability problems. (speaking from experience with several builds)

Pvt.pile

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
Sconnie Botland
Lo guyz would i be ok running the XFX GT 8800 on a 400w PSU along with my Core 2 duo E6600 or is that asking a bit much? Currently i run this set up but with an old Geforce GTX 7800 with no problems.