• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New computer

Nebfer

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2006
well after a few weeks of trying to get my old computer fixed, me and my bro have desided to build a new one. (after all the old P4 1.6ghz was five years old.)

well heres what we desided on.

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail
64 bit Support: Yes
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache: 1MB
Multi-Core: Single-Core
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 2.2GHz
Process Type: 90 nm
Series: Athlon 64
Voltage: 1.35/1.4V
Model #: ADA3700BNBOX
Item #: N82E16819103539
Price $235

SUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
AGP Slots: None
CPU Type: Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64 X2/Athlon 64
DDR Standard: DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Dual Channel Supported: Yes
FSB: 1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s)
Maximum Memory Supported: 4GB
Number of DDR Slots: 4x 184pin DDR
PCI Express x1: 2
PCI Express x16: 2
PCI Slots: 3
Model #: A8N-SLI
Item #: N82E16813131524
Price $107

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400 - Retail
Cas Latency: 2.5
Heat Spreader: No
Manufacturer Warranty: Lifetime
Voltage: 2.5V
Model #: VS1GBKIT400
Item #: N82E16820145440
price $80

eVGA 256-P2-N563-AX Geforce 7900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Core clock: 500MHz
DirectX: DirectX 9
DVI: 2
Memory Clock: 1500MHz
Memory Interface: 256-bit
OpenGL: OpenGL 2.0
PixelPipelines: 24
TV-Out: HDTV/S-Video Out
VIVO: No
Model #: 256-P2-N563-AX
Item #: N82E16814130281
price $290

Rosewill R911E 12ms Black 19" 12ms LCD Monitor - Retail
Brightness: 250 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 500:1
Display Colours: 16 Million
Display Type: SXGA
Horizontal Fresh Rate: 30 KHz~83 KHz
Maximum Resolution: 1280x1024
Panel: TFT LCD
Pixel Pitch: 0.294mm
Recommended Resolution: 1280x1024
Viewing Angle: 140

SLI would be nice, but don't consider it a necessity above more RAM. Two gigs is more than enough for even the most hardcore gaming, more than that and you start to see slight (mind you, VERY slight) performance slowdown. Two is the minimum, the maximum, and the standard for hard-core gaming, IMO.

Also, don't feel the need to fall into the CAS latancy trap. I'm glad to see you stayed away from it. The Corsair ValueRam is excellent, as is the Kingston ValueRam (they two go back and forth as to which is lower, so I'd suggest choosing when you actually pay for it).

I'm an ATi junkie, so I'm completely biased towards the X1900xtx over any NVidia card. There are some reports that put it on top of the NVidia, and some that put the NVidia on top. It's mostly personal choice though, as they're both excellent cards.

One tip: Don't skimp on your powersupply and your cooling. Go ahead and spend the extra money for a good name-brand power supply. Enermax's NoiseTaker line is superb, speaking from personal experience. Spend the two bucks more for a pack of CoolerMaster or Zantec case fans over the generic stuff. It doesn't seem like a whole lot, but trying to cut corners on those little things can (I did say can, lots of people have no trouble with cheap generic stuff) leave you with less than optimal operating conditions.

All told though, great choices. You can consider yourself /envied :)

Upvote 0
Yeah that is a good CPU and card.

I have a 3700 San Diego, very good performance, you won't be disappointed.

I just ordered an EVGA 7900 GT myself, funny enough, but I got the KO Superoverclocked version (580/790). Yep, my BFG 6800GT finally bit the dust.

BTW, don't worry about having tons of RAM. Personally, I think even 1 GB is good enough. Benchmarks don't demonstrate any fps gain in moving from 1 to 2 GB, although load times improve.

I also think that you are safe in ATi versus Nvidia at this point, but I leaned toward Nvidia because ATi has issues with HDR and Bloom right now, and teh X1900XTs run both hotter and louder than the 7900s. They also draw more juice.

I know there is a lot of talk of 7900s running hot due to lack of memory cooling and inadequate stock heatsinks, but the new copper one for the EVGA is very good, and finally covers the memory :D, so you should be fine.

Also for pricing. ATi is very tempting, but in the $270-$300 range, you can't beat the 7900 GT in cost : performance.

Upvote 0
Jack said:
I also think that you are safe in ATi versus Nvidia at this point, but I leaned toward Nvidia because ATi has issues with HDR and Bloom right now, and teh X1900XTs run both hotter and louder than the 7900s. They also draw more juice.

Also for pricing. ATi is very tempting, but in the $270-$300 range, you can't beat the 7900 GT in cost : performance.
Yeah but you can't even use FSAA in HDR on the 7900. :X

The first thing that came to my mind playing Lost Coast at a friend was: "OMFG THE ALIASING IS KILLING ME!!"
But at the same time I couldn't miss the HDR. :(

Upvote 0
Tak said:
I call stink-poo! :p

Never had a single problem with HDR, Bloom, AA, AF, or any combination of the above (well, except you can't have Bloom and HDR going at the same time, but well, no one can :p).

I didn't mean that. I meant in certain games, like Oblivion, the X1900s have artifacting and anomalies that appear for many people using HDR or Bloom with other graphics options, such as the self shadows.

Even if none of the games you play exhibit these issues, the 7900s still run cooler and draw less power, any of the professional benchmarkers attest to that, like Anandtech or Tom's.

And like I said, price is a major point. A 7900 GT performs at or above a 7800 GTX, and in the case of overclocked GTs (like the EVGA KO), you actually have performance on par with a 7900 GTX.

Considering that you can get the same or near performance with a oc'ed 7900 GT as you can with a stock 7900 GTX, but save $200, it is a no brainer. Only thing you don't have is 512 vram, but few games at this point have the texture resolutions to really need that. What you need is pixel pipes, and both the GT and GTX have 24 pixel pipes.

So by no means am I saying the X1900XTX is bad...if I had more money to spend I would get one! But it would also mean getting a new PSU, as I only have an Antec 400W. This would probably total about $530, if not more.

However, if you buy a 7900GT, and keep an existing PSU that might not be as high power (like a 400-450 watter), then you are spending out only $275-$300, yet if you got an overclocked one (like the EVGA), then you are getting the equivalent of a 7900GTX and still under warranty.

Upvote 0
SgtH3nry3 said:
Yeah but you can't even use FSAA in HDR on the 7900. :X

The first thing that came to my mind playing Lost Coast at a friend was: "OMFG THE ALIASING IS KILLING ME!!"
But at the same time I couldn't miss the HDR. :(

Actually you CAN run AA and HDR in Lost Coast with a 7900, so tell your friend to turn it on! :D

As long as a game is coded for it, AA and HDR work on the 7900s, and the Source engine happens to be coded for it.

You can also run AA with HDR in other games so long as it allows for you to use Super Sampling, but there is lower performance of course.

Here is a link talking about the whole confusing issue: http://www.xbitlabs.com/discussion/2857.html (scroll down towards the bottom)

To be truthful, even the ATi parts up through the X1800s can't run HDR with AA at as high of performance. It has only been with the new X1900s this has become truly viable.

So, when concerning a 7900 GT, in the same price bracket, you aren't going to get any ATi parts that do significantly better with AA and HDR. Look at the problems people are having with Bloom and AA in ROOST (yes I know Bloom is a "cheap" version of HDR).

Upvote 0
1Gb RAM is 2003, get at least double the amount. Also, 12ms monitor for gaming? I'd imagine that to create ghosting, after all you can even get monitors with 2ms respond time nowadays, although four to eight should be enough for the human eye. The processor and mobo seem fine, although I don't know if it's budget wise to get an SLI mobo without SLI setup? Afterall, the computer technology lives in the moment and I don't think upgradeability is really worth the money in most cases, because in few months that technology is alread obsolete. The graphics adapter seems pretty nice to me, just make sure you get the best possible card for the value.

Upvote 0
um, One are you going to overclock, two why are you bothering with a sandiego at this point.

Unless prices are far different in the rest of the world then here in AUS(meaning Australia, yes we play games too:p ) you could pick your self up a nice opteron/X2 for the same price, maybe a little more.

1gb , is good but get decent ram, Because frankly if you are gonna OC value select is shite. get someting like Team Xtreme winbond(i use it great stuff).

Forget about a physx card at this point, it's all bling,and for $299 U.S (500 Aus)
a rip off

here is my advice to you

Cpu: if your going to sped that amount of cash buy an X2, or opty165/146 and OC, or if you are going to be cheap then a 3000+ Venice and OC.
Mobo: For overclocking and stability you can't go past a DFI, if your goin nvidia I suggest DFI nf4 lanparty Sli-DR expert
Vid card: 7900GT is an execellent choice
Ram: something from Team Xtreme or OCZ
moniter: an LCD at or above 17" with at least 8ms response time.
PSU: 550W brand name minimum
sound card: Audigy X-fi extreme music or 2nd hand Audigy 2 ZS

if anyone can help me suggesting alternate brands if these aren't avaliable outside australia i'd appreciate it, but basically a 3700+ sandiego is a waste of cash these days

Upvote 0
Xancerman said:
i gained 200 points in 3dmark 06 just by fixing the clock times for the RAM in the BIOS.. so superduper RAM is only good if you know how to set the times ;)

also 2 gigs is almost a requirement nowdays

So you benchmarked higher, but how much performance difference did you see in-game compared to before the clock adjustments for the money invested?

I stand by Corsair and Kingston's value-ram lines, unless you're into benchmark scoring. The bonuses you actually see in programs is minute at best.

Don't fall into the trap, Nebfer and other RAM buyers! :)

Upvote 0