• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Computer: Build or Buy

Hi Dheepan,

Well, most already said here, just keep a few things in mind:

- First of all, make sure what exactly u want to do with the machine :D. Sounds silly, i know...but believe me, loads of ppl could save tons of money if they would actually know what they want... .
If u plan to play future games u might first research what these games will need, which engines they are based on, or actually wait until these games are out. If u plan the usual stuff + only roost and 1 or 2 other games..for gawds sake, SAVE MONEY!
I recently build a gaming rig for roost and doom3 based et:qw for 300-400 euros. as for buying these dx10 gfx cards...keep in mind that there aren't any dx10 based games out yet :D.

- Research, research, research :). I know i takes some time... if u cant efford that, go for prebuilt ones (or find a colleague/ friend etc who builds some for u)

- Do_not_save_money_on_PSU's :D. I know...one gets tempted to save money there if one looks at the price differences...still, keep in mind, no matter what else u have in the comp, it still needs voltage to run :D.

- Never, ever do something on the mobo without having the power cable unplugged. Even switched off, the PSU provides current to the mobo...the chances that u might kill something by f.e plugging off a pci card are very high.

- Always_get_yourself_discharged (thats the right vocabulary?) before playing around with these sensitive parts (especially the mobo).
I might have killed one or two mobos myself in the past by not having touched some metallic parts (the case, radiator of the heating etc.) before.
It is no abrakadabra...its simple physics.
Also, if some problems appear with mobo not starting up etc, always make sure the mobo doesnt touch parts of the case, e.g. gets some short-circuits somewhere.

- Make yourself some thoughts about cooling the stuff. Especially nowadays these hardware parts produce loads of heat -> a good airflow within the case is necessary.

- Get some proper tools, a magnetic screwdriver is a nice thing, additional cables and screws are fine, too. Nothing can piss u more off than a missing screw, believe me :D.

Honestly, besides all the enthusiasm for building here... If u wanna rely on warranty and avoiding loads of headaches, maybe go for prebuilt ones. I built quite a few pc's here and probably will still in the future...i can assure u, if i had the money i'd go for prebuilt ones. The time and headaches u can save this way outweight the costs, imho ;).

Well, anyways happy building :).

greetz,
gitano

Upvote 0