• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Computer Advice--ASAP!

Gamburd

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2007
Detroit, MI
I need to buy a New Computer and advice about buying a new one.

I have bought a computer before from Cyberpower, Inc.

I really don't know too much about the various coolants I have highlighted in blue or the various Hardware I have highlighted in red.

Could someone give me advice about whether I need the Case Upgrades and the Performance Tuning Protection Plan?

Do I need to purchase the Intel Smart Response Technology???

And do I need a Data Hard Drive???

Are they just trying to sell me a lot of additional stuff I don't really need???

Also, how good is the Motherboard and Power Supply I am planning on ordering??

Will it support the Intel

Last edited:
*Extra Case Fan Upgrade default case fans
-not necessary, if you encounter airflow problems, you can still get them afterwards.

*Noise Reduction Technology: None
-i have no idea what "technology" means in that case, when i think of noise reduction it's stuff like insulation or decouplers.

*Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel: None
-does it cost extra? if so, screw it. modern cpu's are hard to kill if you gather some knowledge about overclocking.

*Cooling Fan: Corsair Hydro Series H60 High PerformanceLiquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
-i have no experience with liquid coolers, but i read some perform similar to a good air-cooler, but less noisy. some are supposed to be way better. google a test of that model.

CrossFireX] GigabyteGA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, UltraDurable4 Classic, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x Gen3 PCIe x16, 3x PCIe x1 & 2 PCI(Extreme OC Certified)
-gigabyte is alright in my book. z77 should support all sandy/ivy bridge cpu's

*Intel Smart Response Technology for Z77: None
-it seems to be a good compromise between hdd and ssd performance. i'm planning to use this feature in the foreseeable future. you can still buy a ssd later, their prices are dropping slowly.

*Power Supply Upgrade: 500Watts - Standard Case Power Supply
-depending on the power on the 12v rails, it should be more than enough for a single gpu setup.

*Data Hard Drive: None
-since there is a 2tb system hdd included, not necessary.

*Optical Drive 2: None
-who needs optical drives nowadays? (i have an external dvd burner, i only use it for installing the os and older games). it's possible to install your os from an usb-stick if necessary.

personally i prefer buying the parts and building it myself, most likely you would save some money that way and building a rig yourself is a nice experience, especially if everything works once you're finished ;)
check how much it would cost to build it yourself, if there's not much difference buy the memorial day special.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you want\"must" go with closed liquid loop you might consider looking Antec H20 620 instead. You can probably get it cheaper and it's performance is better than H60s, although if you plan to assemble it (=the rig) by yourself be prepared to be frustrated at the toy-like backplate. Alternatively you could just go to $150 - 200 pricerange and just buy "proper" basic LCS if you are willing to mess with the maintenance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had a liquid cooled PC - out of the blue one day the pipe split and sprayed coolant over my MoBo, trashing that, the CPU and one of my GPUs.

When I complained to the manufacturer of the unit, they sent me another one :rolleyes: yeah, right!
I think you posted in the wrong thread, Nestor. The one you were looking for can be found here: [URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=52907"][url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=52907[/URL][/URL]

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the helpful responses, guys; you have given me a lot of great information.

Which Intel Smart Response Technology option would you recommend???:

30 GB Corsair Nova 2 SATA II 3.0Gb/s SSD - 270MB/s Read & 220MB/s Write (Single Drive) [+57] More Options ...

32 GB Patriot Torqx 2 SATA II 3.0Gb/s SSD - 270MB/s Read & 230MB/s Write (Single Drive) [+61] More Options .

40 GB Intel 320 Series SATA-II 3.0Gb/s SSD - 200MB/s Read & 45MB/s Write (Single Drive) [+99] More Options ...

60 GB ADATA S511 SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 550MB/s Read & 500MB/s Write (Single Drive) [+109] More Options ...

60GB Corsair Force Series SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 550MB/s Read & 510MB/s Write (Single Drive) [+95] More Options ...

60 GB Intel 520 Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s - 550 MB/s Read & 520 MB/s Write (Single Drive) [+115] More Options ...

* 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 525MB/s Read & 475MB/s Write (Single Drive) [+85] More Options ...

* Intel Smart Response Technology combines SSD and Standard HDDs into a single volume for fast performance while maintaining large storage capacities. Intel Smart Response Technology utilizes a portion of your SSD drive for caching frequently used applications to improve your overall system performance and responsiveness. A minimum of 20GB of SSD storage space will be used and dedicated to caching but allocated cache size is adjustable. By utilizing the Intel Smart Response Technology, your system response will outperform HDD-only systems by up to 60%!

* Must Purchase with Operating System!
BigGuns_720x89.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i'd recommend one of the 60gb ssds. afaik only a portion of the ssd is used as cache, the rest is reserved as some sort of backup (if some storage areas fail, similar to bad sectors on hdds). i don't think the read/write speed is too big of an issue with ssd caching, the performance difference should be barely noticable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With my limited knowledge, I too would suggest one of the SATA III 60Gb.

The maximum cache size for a windows O/S is 64Gb.

I went with a 120 GB model with the idea of using the remaing 50gb for game files, etc. But the remaining space that is not cached is in a RAID. I have no clue how that RAID is being used.

I'd be interested to know/learn just what is being used for what and where, if anyone would care to put it in layman's terms. :eek:

Keep in mind that my advice is worth what you're paying for it..........

Upvote 0
I decided to wait for Cyberpower's 4th of July Sale in order to do some additional research, and this is what I'm thinking of ordering
  1. I don't plan on overclocking, so I wanted to ask if I should switch to this CPU and save $26.00???
[July 4th Sale - Free upgrade from i5-3550 while supply last] Intel

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1.) if you really don't plan to oc, get the downgrade. it should be as fast as the k at stock speed (the non-k versions can still be overclocked by raising the turbo multiplier up to 4 steps).

2.) no idea. i would risk it and get the h60. without oc one fan should be sufficient.

3.) if there are no guarantees skip it.

4.) i'd rather buy the default setup and maybe get more fans later if needed. i don't expect this pc to get very hot. even if the fans are quiet, the more there are, the louder the pc gets.

5.) i think it should be sufficient as cache. i was interested in this feature as well, but now i'm leaning towards buying a 120gb ssd for the os and some games. they are quite affordable now.

6.) 8gb are enough atm, but you can never have too much ram ;) if you can afford it, get a better graphics card (560 ti 1gb for example).

Upvote 0