• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Never pick firebug and berserker. Never. Party must kick you out.

ddongssanda

Oct 19, 2013
Version 1035 and 1036 compatible.

Now the game is a total garbage. Finally I can go back to the reality.

The only workable party combination of this game is now full 6 player party, with some mandatory sharpshooters. Any other combinations are officially prevented from survival. Dev certificated.

No berserkers. It's hopeless. Berserkers MUST run away like rats from fleshpounds, bloats, sirens, even gorefasts, and husks by all costs.

Almost all zeds now have melee resistance, and you lost all your movement and attack speed bonus. No match.

Unless you run away, you just die and waste a good chunk of money of teammates to buy him the armor and (even more) expensive useless metal sticks.

Berserkers are neither tanker, nor dealer. If you choose a berserker, that means you are a super selfish bum who only wants to enjoy some ninja action without teamplay, which means you deserve an instant ban from most of servers.

If you really need a parrier, then you pick a medic, buy full armor and get eviscerator. It's waaayyyy better than the useless berserker crap.

Firebug is now unplayable, pretty much as the berserker.

Zed types MWG Fire weapon
Clot clones 25% 80%
Bloat 80% 160%
Crawlers 20% 30%
Gorefasts 85% 50%
Stalkers 20% 30%
Husks 115% 0%
Sirens 85% 30%

Scrake 100% 30%
FP 100% 30%
Hans 150% 110%
Kevin 90% 50%

Firebug is no longer a solution against crawlers, stalkers, gorefasts, scrakes - instead, actually THEY ARE COUNTERS against firebug. You must run away from them at all cost.

Now the firebug's play is much simpler. If you didn't buy MWG yet, try spitting some fire on clot clones while diligently running away from any crawlers, stalkers, and gorefasts before they reach you.

You may try some sharpshooter and gunslinger weapons but remember that they will critically delay you MWG purchase, some 1-2 waves later than first scrake. You're going to be blamed for that.

After you buy an MWG, then hide safely behind a teammate, try to drag as less agro as you can, and 'snipe' the husks and sirens only with your MWGs - you may blow out some additional gorefasts if you must do.

You may try hurting some scrakes, but remember that the damage is now half. Blowing winds only (the second shot) may be safer.

Just don't pick berserker and firebug. The party simply don't need them. Sharpshooters do much better.

And also, the game now mandates a full 6 men party with as many sharpshooters as possible. Any party combination below that, especially the solo play, simply doesn't work. Just go try if you want to waste some time.

If anyone in the party, especially the sharpshooter makes a fatal mistake and die, then it's gameover. Just blame him and quit the game ASAP. Rest of the play is just another apocalypse simulator. I mean, APOcalypse.

I'm leaving. Leaving this madness until the devs revamp the whole game system. Damage resistances, stun/stumble/fall down (forgot the term), berserkers attack mechanism. Anyone who is responsible for this whole game design, should be fired or at least taken away from the game design. It is clear that he has lost his vision on game design. And this is a capitalist society, somebody should really take responsibility for this catastrophe of the whole franchise.

Last edited:
Firebu is still usable you silly sausage! Just requires heatwave and if you are hitting crawlers/stalkers you need to keep your Caulk instead of buying flamethrower. Most enemies resist fire damage yes but the same enemies are also about x3 vulnerable to fire panic, which the Caulk can dish out in spades.

So you won't actually be killing much of anything but there is no reason to run away from them as a blast will open them to panic.

Why it doesn't work with flamethrower I don't know but don't buy that, just keep Caulk and you're able to CC stuff effectively.

Damage, you're gonna need MWG or a teammate.

Zerk Dreadnaught is also useful if they stick to their (like FB, currently limited) role.

Groups who kick for perk choice however are a problem all on their own, succumbing to update-induced hysteria. Anyone who kicks a firebug for being a firebug has succumbed to this, no doubt.

Upvote 0
What difficulty?

@Firebug
Haven't tried Firebug with the new patch but when I look at the data it seems to force a player more towards MWG. Used to work perfectly fine on HoE with just flamethrower to clear all the trash while conserving some ammo. Had to get MWG only for boss. But.. there is so much dosh now... very easy to get MWG.

Still, don't like FB being a bloat counter now while crawlers got fire resistance oO .. if I want to kill crawlers (the zeds that the FB gets bonus XP for), I have to use the trenchgun ^^

@Berserker
Berserker was ok on Suicidal. No problems there. Went for spartan though, to get healed during zed time.

Did HoE only with the Medic yet and the medic pistol seemed weaker to me than it used to be. Also stumble power seems to be gone or greatly reduced. I liked to cancel husk attacks by hitting their heads with the medic pistol. Have to use AR now... Other than that no problems, medic AR still quite powerful.

Upvote 0
Actually when you take a step back and look at what's happening, zeds under panic are technically not a threat during that time. They are usually also in afterburn which, while useless on its' own, lowers all trash zed's health down to quite weak levels when it's done. So with a bit of patience and less itchy trigger finger you may find yourself saving ammo. If that's your main concern, anyway - If it's kills, take the shot. Choice is yours though, not mine.

You may not have to kill that stuff at all and can better spend your time looking elsewhere even! Point is don't get all firebug-ist!

Oh god it's coming back, firebug hate!

Upvote 0
"not a threat during that time" means the zeds aren't attacking at the moment. But they are moving. Moving to a variety of positions, so that if they do survive, they not only become a threat again, but a far less predictable threat, allowed to surround you.
And they are obscuring view during that time with their bodies and flames.

Firebugs are least annoying when their targets quickly die and aren't a concern for teammates anymore. This outcome has become far less likely with the bullseye update's resistances and shrapnel nerf.
Hopefully the live update today has helped against that a bit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It has! Even gorefasts are melting to it, I predict trench gun is a very good weapon against them now too.

Well they don't melt to caulk, that would be too much. But yes, Clot variants are neutral and die fairly quickly, rarely survive a first blast unless it was just splash damage (that's always been the case) and crawlers die just as quickly I've found, which is good.

You're right about panic and them becoming a threat again, but this is the difference between horde up ahead and horde uncomfortably close. Point was anyways that if your main concern is saving ammo, let it burn a sec and it'll take less bullets if any. If you have deemed it is still going to be a threat after the panic then yeah, you got me, got nothing for that! Just gonna have to shoot it, though again if it's on fire it has a firebug near it so it's not long for this world anyway!

I do see your points and they are valid, random panic movement is a trouble. I'm hoping some kind of sticky tar fuel perk skill shows up or something for that!

Upvote 0
"not a threat during that time" means the zeds aren't attacking at the moment. But they are moving. Moving to a variety of positions, so that if they do survive, they not only become a threat again, but a far less predictable threat, allowed to surround you.
And they are obscuring view during that time with their bodies and flames.

Firebugs are least annoying when their targets quickly die and aren't a concern for teammates anymore. This outcome has become far less likely with the bullseye update's resistances and shrapnel nerf.
Hopefully the live update today has helped against that a bit.
True, true. The incap-only perk concept is actually quite attractive. It works very well in MMORPG games. But I think it's only acceptable when that incap guarantees a quick removal of group of trash, because KF is a very quick-paced action game.

Fire panic may actually neutralize the threat for quite a while, but it actually prevents the zed group from being removed and also interrupt other team members. In actual game, the zeds burnt by a FB is generally killed BY following bursts from the same FB. Of course this may be many players still remember about how FBs used to be before the patch (they used to take full responsibility of whole trash group in on direction), but also panicking zeds are very annoying and members rather choose to concentrate on unburnt zeds.

Upvote 0
It has! Even gorefasts are melting to it, I predict trench gun is a very good weapon against them now too.

Well they don't melt to caulk, that would be too much. But yes, Clot variants are neutral and die fairly quickly, rarely survive a first blast unless it was just splash damage (that's always been the case) and crawlers die just as quickly I've found, which is good.
In HoE lv25 party, it simply doesn't work. CnB is too weak in DPS (I mean, resultant DPS), and dragonbreath SG is too heavy to combine with MWG.

In lower levels, we also need much higher level (with perk weapon bonuses and skills) than the party members to make CnB actually work. I'm a lv25 FB, tried multiple levels, and found Hard is just fit for me.

.... still couldn't be a savior to free-weekend newbies, though. I seldom won.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's odd because I've been soloing HoE.

With yesterday's live patch this isn't true for zerk or FB now anyway, trash (on average) dies fast enough now and Flamethrower's damage is more relevant again. Flamethrower also barely causes any panic not even on clot variants or crawlers so there's your choice right there!

You can carry trench with MWG what are you talking about? It's not recommended though, caulk is better for protecting yourself while applying 2 damage types but YMMV.

Regardless, your inability to work with a perk, does not necessarily fall on the perk! I mean you didn't know trench/MWG can be carried together, what else are you missing?

I don't mean any ill will but of course I am picking holes in it!

Upvote 0
You do have a point there. I cannot reliably get into 6p HoE games, let alone test in them, best I can manage is that test map that lets you fake players and test damage/soloing tactics. So you've got me there.

I do not like the attitude this endorses though. We got votekick, do you remember why? I remember the only reason we even asked for it was something to do with griefers and idlers.

Now sure you can have a snappy comment about FB or zerk being idlers or something but in the end this promotes a kick-happy attitude, towards perk choices also. I mean I can't tell you what to do, you kick whoever you want but I'm laying this out there:

You kick someone for being a certain perk, that does not mean the perk is bad and you are justified in this. It means you are being narrow-minded and your inability to adapt is what will hurt your team more than anything, no good player is going to be that narrow minded about any perk or team mate. They'd adapt to what their team needs, notice any flaws in the composition and compensate.

Think of it as an opportunity to better your team-play!

EDIT: I will concede one point, ddongssanda's last post regarding FB does actually hold true. At top level your best fit is Hard which is a real shame, I can see how it'd impact high level HoE play as a "wasted slot" too.

Do not kick people for it though! Bad attitude, bad community action there! Cannot condone it, it's slimy behaviour!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your assessment of the berserker ('you' meaning the OP) shows a lack of cunning as well as of grace.

A few evenings ago my "neither tank nor dealer" did a four man HoE with excellent results. For 10 waves I managed to keep my companions almost completely from harm by guarding a doorpost and smashing everything that came close to me. Sure, some gas clouds inflicted minor damage on the other players but nothing more.

Then we killed Patty, where I must admit that I utilized a 'Hit and Run'-tactic rather than a stationary tanking approach.

Even though I sacrificed quite a few kills in order to help my team more (or in the words of the OP "enjoy some ninja action without teamplay") I was still second both in terms of most zeds killed and most large zeds killed which I would say is more average than worthless.

P.S. I apoligize for any linguistical errors, english is not my native tongue and my phone constantly tries to transform what I write into swedish words.

Upvote 0