• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Network Setting for servers over 6 players

Hello guys
I wanna know if there is any variable allows me to optimize my network performance of my 40 slots server.
For the game balance, i changed the Max Zeds setting through forrestmark9's Gametype Configurator in order to spawn more zeds on the map at once. (MaxZed is 70 and the spawn rate is 0.2
When my server is full and at last waves, all the players' ping at my server(including myself) are raging to over 200.
Im not sure if it is the problem of my computer's spec cuz i got a 32 slots TF2 server running at the same time without lagging players inside.
I know this game isn't designed for Battlefield fans but just wanna ask if there is any way to optimize the network performance.

My Spec:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
12GB DDR3
Windows 7 HP 64 bit
100/100Mbps Network

Last edited:
You should be monitoring your CPU usage and other aspects of your server. That'll let you know if it's server hardware or network. A standard 32 player TF2 server has very little overhead. Once you start throwing in AI characters, like KF2 uses, then your CPU overhead is going to go up. And the more AI's you have running around the more CPU usage will climb.

Upvote 0
I understand. Even a 12slots L4D2 server uses more resources than a 32 slots TF2 server because of the server-controlled AI system.(According my experience).
Actually I am playing the game and hosting servers at the same machine most of time.
However I don't see any frame drops so I'm not gonna blame the spec.
Before I installed the Gametype Configurator and change the MaxZed number, players didn't face any ping rage problem.
So I am thinking if this is some sort of limitation of the game engine instead of a hardware problem.
Im pretty experienced in hosting Source engine MP game servers
I know that even using a top level machine doesn't mean the game server program can handle 100+ players due to its limitation. (Garry's Mod is a very good example)
I understand UE3 and Source should not be compared at any case but i think every game engine has their limitation.
I wonder if those so-called 128 servers are able to provide a smooth gaming experience to players even fulled and have enough zeds for 100+ players to kill.

Upvote 0