• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server NetServerMaxTickRate=25 and lower pings

Upvote 0
Dr-Death said:
Some admins will set this higher believing that it improves ping but that is nonsense.

No, Epic say that "Higher values will reduce ping". This is the epic opinion:""It sets the maximum tick rate (frames per second) of the server. By default it is 20, which means that servers will tick at 20 fps. This is a good compromise value, since it keeps server cpu utilization low without having a significant impact on ping or physics. Higher values will reduce ping, but increase server cpu utilization, and vice versa for lower values"- Steve Polge @ EPIC

in our case really improves ping and i dont noticed any other effects: no more cpu load -probablly a 3 or 5%- and nothing weapons difference, the server run really smoother and i was asked to the players in our forums and all people say that the server run perfect and the're very happy for the ping decrease.Really a increment from 20 to 25 i dont think that is a higher increment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
d3lux3 said:
No, Epic say that "Higher values will reduce ping". This is the epic opinion:""It sets the maximum tick rate (frames per second) of the server. By default it is 20, which means that servers will tick at 20 fps. This is a good compromise value, since it keeps server cpu utilization low without having a significant impact on ping or physics. Higher values will reduce ping, but increase server cpu utilization, and vice versa for lower values"- Steve Polge @ EPIC

in our case really improves ping and i dont noticed any other effects: no more cpu load -probablly a 3 or 5%- and nothing weapons difference, the server run really smoother and i was asked to the players in our forums and all people say that the server run perfect and the're very happy for the ping decrease.Really a increment from 20 to 25 i dont think that is a higher increment.
I did a search for NetServerMaxTickRate and that's what came up over at here http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Main_Page

Upvote 0
Eversmann said:
Uhmmm... it's talking about Windows98, blazing P-2 350MHZ, fancy 64kbit isdn lines and a state-of-the-art 9600 modem. Sure that this stuff applies today? Back then the latencies were big anyway (remember modem play?), no way near today's pings with DSL and T1...

Also: Why trust this guy and not someone of the Epic staff?

Upvote 0