NetServerMaxTickRate=25 and lower pings

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

d3lux3

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 13, 2005
Sevilla, Spain
www.redorchestra.es
i was tried in our 32 player servers with NetServerMaxTickRate=25 and really all the people have a more lower ping, 15 or 30 less, the server run really smooth and the player experience is perfect. The CPU load difference is the same more o less.

Dr-Death

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 18, 2006

d3lux3

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 13, 2005
Sevilla, Spain
www.redorchestra.es
Dr-Death said:
Some admins will set this higher believing that it improves ping but that is nonsense.

No, Epic say that "Higher values will reduce ping". This is the epic opinion:""It sets the maximum tick rate (frames per second) of the server. By default it is 20, which means that servers will tick at 20 fps. This is a good compromise value, since it keeps server cpu utilization low without having a significant impact on ping or physics. Higher values will reduce ping, but increase server cpu utilization, and vice versa for lower values"- Steve Polge @ EPIC

in our case really improves ping and i dont noticed any other effects: no more cpu load -probablly a 3 or 5%- and nothing weapons difference, the server run really smoother and i was asked to the players in our forums and all people say that the server run perfect and the're very happy for the ping decrease.Really a increment from 20 to 25 i dont think that is a higher increment.

Last edited:

Zetsumei

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
Falmouth UK
the more ticks a second a server calculates its info. The faster it will calculate teh information of all users once they've come in. This can save alot in the total time of sending your info to the server and getting it back.

Dr-Death

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 18, 2006
d3lux3 said:
No, Epic say that "Higher values will reduce ping". This is the epic opinion:""It sets the maximum tick rate (frames per second) of the server. By default it is 20, which means that servers will tick at 20 fps. This is a good compromise value, since it keeps server cpu utilization low without having a significant impact on ping or physics. Higher values will reduce ping, but increase server cpu utilization, and vice versa for lower values"- Steve Polge @ EPIC

in our case really improves ping and i dont noticed any other effects: no more cpu load -probablly a 3 or 5%- and nothing weapons difference, the server run really smoother and i was asked to the players in our forums and all people say that the server run perfect and the're very happy for the ping decrease.Really a increment from 20 to 25 i dont think that is a higher increment.
I did a search for NetServerMaxTickRate and that's what came up over at here http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Main_Page

Grottenolm

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 26, 2006
Germany
www.rde-clan.net
Eversmann said:
Uhmmm... it's talking about Windows98, blazing P-2 350MHZ, fancy 64kbit isdn lines and a state-of-the-art 9600 modem. Sure that this stuff applies today? Back then the latencies were big anyway (remember modem play?), no way near today's pings with DSL and T1...

Also: Why trust this guy and not someone of the Epic staff?