• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Netherhold is a chaotic, directionless mess

Darena Bryant

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 14, 2018
Every time I've played on this map, no matter the difficulty, I'm cornered in seconds. I haven't been able to play as much as I'd like, but trying to learn the map layout has been frustrating to say the least. It seems like there are dozens of spawn points for every even slightly open area, and twice as many little areas where you get hung up on and stuck long enough for a Skrake or FP to bat you more fully into the corner, never to escape again. I've been trying to test out the stage more completely, but it's as if it's designed to be unfun; there's a feeling of being trapped or blindsided all the time, and trying to do something as simple as run down a hallway can get you stuck on something and murdered. I don't know if it's meant to be funny or just an example of how tough the stage is, but in each of the last few times I've played in it, a FP appeared and made a beeline directly for me, along witha horde of others, killing me before I could o more than get try to work my way past.

I'm all for a challenging map or mission. Challenging meaning to me that it's tough, but feels like it has some chance at success. This map has hands down stumped me over and over, and I'm unable to decide if it's the amount and rate of spawns, the locations of spawns that seem designed to make it hard to fight, or all the little knicknacks around the map that lead you to blind corners to die in. Unfortunately, I feel like it's all of these.

Every time I've played on this map, no matter the difficulty, I'm cornered in seconds. I haven't been able to play as much as I'd like, but trying to learn the map layout has been frustrating to say the least. It seems like there are dozens of spawn points for every even slightly open area, and twice as many little areas where you get hung up on and stuck long enough for a Skrake or FP to bat you more fully into the corner, never to escape again. I've been trying to test out the stage more completely, but it's as if it's designed to be unfun; there's a feeling of being trapped or blindsided all the time, and trying to do something as simple as run down a hallway can get you stuck on something and murdered. I don't know if it's meant to be funny or just an example of how tough the stage is, but in each of the last few times I've played in it, a FP appeared and made a beeline directly for me, along witha horde of others, killing me before I could o more than get try to work my way past.

I'm all for a challenging map or mission. Challenging meaning to me that it's tough, but feels like it has some chance at success. This map has hands down stumped me over and over, and I'm unable to decide if it's the amount and rate of spawns, the locations of spawns that seem designed to make it hard to fight, or all the little knicknacks around the map that lead you to blind corners to die in. Unfortunately, I feel like it's all of these.
Are you playing solo? Playing solo will most likely change the spawns to be more chaotic whereas in 2 player or higher, in theory, it should split the zed load

Upvote 0
Haven't tried the new map, but the game having ridiculous spawns is nothing new. Take ZED Landing for example, not considered a hard map at all, but try once to camp anywhere else than beach or the cliff. You'll get absolutely shredded. Because the spawn volumes are particularly ridiculous on this map.

On Containment Station, there is a place where FPs can literally spawn on top of you and step on your head. Sometimes you enter a room at the wrong frame and see a group of QFPs spawn.

It is the reason why there are so many known camping spots on each map, and why people don't bother going anywhere else, and also the reason why it's so important to never kill zeds while you're moving between spots. This makes spawn mechanics both extremely unfair for those who don't know AND super exploitable for those who do. By far the biggest flaw of this game imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0