• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] NeoTokyo

I've tried it a bit, and since I'm a huge GITS fan I *absolutely love* the art in this mod. The adverts, the speaker voices in the train station, everything is so different than other stuff out there. Its amazing.

Gameplay-wise I'm with Dcode, round based is not for me - they say the learning curve in RO is hard? Then imagine having to wait 5 mins between every spawn.

But at least it seems more tactical and and slower paced than CS, hopefully it can convert a few CS players to another playstyle.

Love the art though, love it. Here's hoping for an Appleseed based mod soon :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good game and definitely going to be around for a while.

You never can tell, i've seen quite a few mods that i thought where amazing and held so much promis, just go absolutely unplayed and wither away, whilst mods that i regarded as nothing more than CS-Clone 286472-of-386734876732467 where sucking up all the players.. quality is not allways the deciding factor, for whatever reason.

Upvote 0
You never can tell, i've seen quite a few mods that i thought where amazing and held so much promis, just go absolutely unplayed and wither away, whilst mods that i regarded as nothing more than CS-Clone 286472-of-386734876732467 where sucking up all the players.. quality is not allways the deciding factor, for whatever reason.
Nah this one will last a long time.

Upvote 0
Gameplay-wise I'm with Dcode, round based is not for me - they say the learning curve in RO is hard? Then imagine having to wait 5 mins between every spawn.

Yeah, learning curve for NT is painful. It's best to spend those five minutes watching your team and seeing how they handle situations. Or learning the map layout.

The second is vital for Recon players. If you don't know the map you can't really play a Recon right. Recon is all about being the right man in the right place at the right time.

Upvote 0
played this mod alot when it came out (the "Ghost in the Shell" scenario is pretty cool)..but i stoped playing in after i realized a big issue..

LEANING.. if you lean around corners you win. if you lean very close around corners you can see the enemys perfectly and they cant see a single bit of you.. you can shot them they cant shoot you.. i was playing like this and was wondering why people dont shoot at me while i am leaning till i realized they CANT SEE ME..ooww epic win there..

Upvote 0
played this mod alot when it came out (the "Ghost in the Shell" scenario is pretty cool)..but i stoped playing in after i realized a big issue..

LEANING.. if you lean around corners you win. if you lean very close around corners you can see the enemys perfectly and they cant see a single bit of you.. you can shot them they cant shoot you.. i was playing like this and was wondering why people dont shoot at me while i am leaning till i realized they CANT SEE ME..ooww epic win there..

That issue has plagued a lot of early stage mods, i guess coding a good lean feature is very hard (i've never coded such a thing myself, but just looking at how many mods have had issue with it, i can guess it's no walk in the park).

The same is true of eye hight, i can't count the number of mods that has had problems with getting the first person view to match that of the third person view when taking cover (crouching), usually what you see is that in first peron it looks like your whole head is exposed, but enemies only see the very top of your head, if even that.

Hopefully they will iron out such things quickly.

Upvote 0
No any mod team would have to purchase an engine license if they wish too make a retail game.....

i was kinda thinking about something like Garry's mod - doesn't even the retail version still require Source/OB SDK?
So it's a still a sourcemod that happens to retail over steam ( and requiring the SDK how else would you play it?)

The sales split is apparently 50-50 - which i'm sure is a larger cut for Valve than the standard distribution percentage - so it kinda compensates for the fact that the license has not actually been purchased.

However, i just realised that garry's mod is infact a valve product - so I appreciate it's not a good example really.

That said this arrangement does kinda makes sense for all parties- mod maker gets money for no risk - his only investment is his labour.
I guess if the mod sells strongly then the dev would have been somewhat richer had he purchased the engine and given up less of the sales but that's how life works if your skint.
And valve can't lose - their overheads are tiny so they see profit v quickly, and it's money that probably would not have been made had the dev team been required to purchase the engine.

Got me thinking though - other non valve affiliated source games (SiN, 'the ship' etc) presumably are self contained with the engine incorporated, but are any of them capable of running independantly from steam?
If not, although i appreciate it's a wise choice anyway, is it possibly a condition of the engine license agreement regardless?

I just wonder, cos valve seem to be holding all the cards nowadays when it come to PC gaming.
It even appears many mods now have little choice but to use source+steam, even if it phaps isn't tecnically the most suitable, in the interest of building a playerbase.

Which brings me back to NeoTokio, which might have been nicer staying on unreal, feeling less counterstrikey.
But doesn't matter how nice a mod is, if no-one's playing.

Upvote 0
Yup source, seems to be the prime modding engine today, mostly I'd imagine because a very large percentage of PC gamers have a Valve game, Hl2, Orange Box, Left4Dead but also becuase the engine has been outsince 2004 and will probably wont be replaced until Episode 3 at the earliest, not to mention the prospect of steam release (not forgetting DH & MN obv:)).

The only other modern 'modding' competitor is UE3 but thats failed majorly compared to the UE2/2.5 mostly because UT3 sales sucked in comparison and only now are we seeing a few of the promising mods on UE3 appearing.

But then again in the last 10 years or so I can only really think of 5 engines that have had good modding support, GoldSrc(Hl1), quake 3, UE2, Source and UE3 (i mean by new games/total conversions and not the million and one mods out for stuff like Oblivion & the total war games). So I wouldnt say PC modding is much worse off that it was 4-5years ago, though I would prefer more people to pick up another engine other than source for obvious reasons.

EDIT: Another thing look at RO & KF how many times do you see people mistaking them to be Source games purely becuase theyre on steam and people assosiate (ex)mods with source. Makes it alot easier for the mod maker if they dont have to explain to people how to run their game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0