• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need new Headset...suggestions?

PUTZ

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Baltimore, MD, USA
I've been using this headset for years, and I've been happy up until now. As you'll probably notice here that the mic is a crappy lapel deal and if it's mounted anywhere else...you can't hear the bloody thing.

In any event, I'd like a new one where the mic is connected...but I need more opinions than the idiots at newegg...

So far, I've narrowed it down to the following:

Razer Carcharias
steelseries 5Hv2
Plantronics GameCom 777
Tritton AX51

Anyone have these, or can recommend something else? I'm looking for something that is COMFORTABLE, circumaural, good overall sound quality (high, mid, bass), analog connections, and a good mic for between $50-100.

:cool:

Sennheiser pc 151's (the younger brother of my pc150's) are excellent and comfy to wear for many hours as they dont fully encompass the ears meaning they dont cook.

Im looking to replace mine after 4 years simply because the ear cups have become so skanky its not right! They have survived being dropped and standing up with the cable under the wheels of my chair with no faults and the mics are excellent and noise cancelling works a charm (no wind tunnels down TS :p).

Im looking at possibly the 151's or the 161's as these have ambient noise cancellation which might be nice. The big daddys the pc 350s are excellent if you like full over ear options.

Upvote 0
Sennheiser pc 151's (the younger brother of my pc150's) are excellent and comfy to wear for many hours as they dont fully encompass the ears meaning they dont cook.

Im looking to replace mine after 4 years simply because the ear cups have become so skanky its not right! They have survived being dropped and standing up with the cable under the wheels of my chair with no faults and the mics are excellent and noise cancelling works a charm (no wind tunnels down TS :p).

Im looking at possibly the 151's or the 161's as these have ambient noise cancellation which might be nice. The big daddys the pc 350s are excellent if you like full over ear options.

Sennheiser all the way. My ear cups have gone the same way and I broke the clip when I left it attached to me and tried to walk away from the computer. :eek: I have had mine for over 5 years and they still work great. Get the 161, only

Upvote 0
Personally I'd go for a good set of headphones - I have Sennheiser HD555 which are great - without a mic, and then just get an ok clip-on mic with a long cable. I got a decent (even got stereo!) mic for 100NOK (about $10).

I think you get better value for that than buying one of the "gamer" headsets which mostly are plastic crap unless you spend alot of $$$ on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
go for a small table microphone and a good pair of headphones.

The Sennheiser HD590 is the nicest fitting headphones ever although it got more of a grado style sound than sennheiser but because of that you can get em cheap.

The Sennheiser HD580 fits within the price range they are super cans (comparable type of sound to HD600 and HD650) but you pretty much need a headphone amplifier to make it sound nice. If youre just plugging it in directly to a computer or something, then definitely the HD595 is nice or the .

If you need closed end microphones then Beyerdynamic is nice like some DT880 pro's.
If you got the money though go for some electrostatic headphones, if you want music to make love by humping your ears. Stax got quite some affordable ones. And are less rare than the overpriced sennheiser electrostats :p. And could if you buy an occasion model from the last century actually fall within your price budget (including an original headphoneamp).

Last edited:
Upvote 0