• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need help with argument! Best tank?

Need help with argument! Best tank?

• Total voters
Merkava vs. Finnish PASI APC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3XvOKjB_uU

Can anyone recognize the submodel of Merkava here?

Here's the translation of Finnish speech, by Carius:

"What is that one tank doing?
Look! They are pushing the carrier.
Dont make room goddamnit...
Keep the camera running!
They are gonna drive it over goddamnit.
We should take higher road to get past!
Turn it calmly so we get our ass in front of that tank.
Stop right here, right here!
Leave here, leave here.
...lost braking pressure.
You shout Ylitalo if it starts moving towards us.
Go up with ass forward!
Drive forward or we get rammed!... Brake! Brake!
Forward, forward!
Goddamnit!
That asshole is trying to ram at full speed!
He rammed us goddamnit!
Hey f.uck you! F.ucking asshole come out from the tank and I'll beat the living s.hit out of you!
Damn, they are really coming through!
Drive forward!
He is reversing.
What's up?
- Did you get sweaty?
- Yeah, that was bit painful.
- Same here.
Ylitalo, put your helmet on! We are going again.
- Now we are going!
- Did you notice powerloss? Lots of noice and rumbling.
Men! Get inside the carrier!
I am not sure which won last round.
Maybe those, we had to reverse.
Like american football, trying to distract."

Upvote 0
The M1 abrams is the best tank due to its sophisticated electronics systems. If the T-90 (which is a T-80 exept with deisel engines insead of turbines) had the same systems it would be very comparable. The new russian T-94 does not even have a man in the turret and has a titanium bathtub for crew survivabilty. Both the Abrams and t-90 have explosive reactive armour and the Abrams is deseigned specificaly to destroy T-55 T-72 T-80 variant tanks. The T-90 is cheaper to manufacture, more reliable, and lighter. I wont comment about the other tanks because I do not know much about them.

Upvote 0
None. Tanks are outdated strategy wise, APC's are the future. You don't really need a big gun anymore to kill a tank, a missle works great. Also, the big cannon on a tank is really only useful on other tanks, while a rapid fire 25mm cannon is much more effective on infantry and lightly armored vehicles making it more suited to engagements with those types of enemies (using missles for anything bigger). In the future I see all that armor knowledge gained through tank development being implemented on APC's. However, I'm sure there will be some type of vehicle with a cannon like a tanks for countries which can't afford smart anti-tank missles in the future too.

Ok enough raining on the parade, I will now let you all enjoy your "best tank evar!11!1!" thread because in a few years it will be "best APC evar!!1!!" thread :p.

Upvote 0
naw man, you cant replace tanks, they offer things that apcs just cant. when your figthing in close quarters area, the thinner apc armor wont protect you against atgms or rpgs. also the HE rounds from tanks work really well against enemy infantry positions, and tanks shells are alot cheaper then 80,000 dollar missles.

for the best tank to date, becaues its not ever, we know in 20 years the tanks now will be obsolete and about as good as a t72 is now. i would say either the leopard 2a6 or the challenger 2, i just cant get over that stupid jet engine in a tank, which by the way has had lots of problems in both gulf wars, while the british challenger 2 tank which was in the last iraqi war had no such problems with its deisel engines.(jet engine needs clean dust free air, aint that easy when your dealing with a big sandy terrain)

if i had to make the choise, i might say the challenger 2, because it is slightly newer then the leopard 2's..

HOWEVER, when there was a top 10 greatest tanks ever on discoverychannel, they chose the leopard 2 as the worlds best tank, mainly because every part is modular, meaning an engine/turret/ any other part, can be swapped out for a new one, AND the tank is built with only 2 types of bolts, 1 large one and 1 small 1, so one two headed wrench can be used to dissasemble the entire tank.. or preform maintance.. which is alot smarter then dealing with 5-20 types of nuts and bolts as other tanks do...

LEOPARD 2 foreva matyie!

Upvote 0
naw man, you cant replace tanks, they offer things that apcs just cant. when your figthing in close quarters area, the thinner apc armor wont protect you against atgms or rpgs. also the HE rounds from tanks work really well against enemy infantry positions, and tanks shells are alot cheaper then 80,000 dollar missles.

for the best tank to date, becaues its not ever, we know in 20 years the tanks now will be obsolete and about as good as a t72 is now. i would say either the leopard 2a6 or the challenger 2, i just cant get over that stupid jet engine in a tank, which by the way has had lots of problems in both gulf wars, while the british challenger 2 tank which was in the last iraqi war had no such problems with its deisel engines.(jet engine needs clean dust free air, aint that easy when your dealing with a big sandy terrain)

if i had to make the choise, i might say the challenger 2, because it is slightly newer then the leopard 2's..

HOWEVER, when there was a top 10 greatest tanks ever on discoverychannel, they chose the leopard 2 as the worlds best tank, mainly because every part is modular, meaning an engine/turret/ any other part, can be swapped out for a new one, AND the tank is built with only 2 types of bolts, 1 large one and 1 small 1, so one two headed wrench can be used to dissasemble the entire tank.. or preform maintance.. which is alot smarter then dealing with 5-20 types of nuts and bolts as other tanks do...

LEOPARD 2 foreva matyie!
Hm, I saw the Top Ten Tanks on TV, and #1 was the T-34. #2 was Abrams. iirc

Upvote 0
The M1 abrams is the best tank due to its sophisticated electronics systems. If the T-90 (which is a T-80 exept with deisel engines insead of turbines) had the same systems it would be very comparable. The new russian T-94 does not even have a man in the turret and has a titanium bathtub for crew survivabilty. Both the Abrams and t-90 have explosive reactive armour and the Abrams is deseigned specificaly to destroy T-55 T-72 T-80 variant tanks. The T-90 is cheaper to manufacture, more reliable, and lighter. I wont comment about the other tanks because I do not know much about them.

Abrams has ERA option, but US ERA is more primitive than israeli or russian ERA. Also, why it hasn't been used?

BuddyLee, I think we all know how creditable source Discovey Channel is.

Upvote 0
heheh...

Here is what I've got to say to your silly little tanks!

RWAR!
hog2ud5.jpg

hogcw5.jpg

Big bambehs!
bigbombset0.jpg

2lb milk bottle sized, 30mm armor piercing shells at 3900 rounds per minute!
shellrx9.jpg

more pics here http://www.a-10.org/photos/photos2.asp

ballbuster7rh.gif

Upvote 0
A tie between challenger 2 and Leopard 2 (voted L2 tough) and M1 in a close second place. (I know to little about the T90 to say anything about that except by just looking at it's weight and dimentions)

Only reason I did not put all three at a tie is because of the turbine powerpack in the M1, it creates a big heat signature even when idling and it consumes a lot of fuel (turbines have never been fuel efficient even if a turbine engine itself has an outstanding power to weight ratio)

Oh and moved the thread ;)

Upvote 0