• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Code need help from tripwire: map export

[13th]Malony/93

Jul 29, 2006
hello tripwire or anybody who can help me.
I am currently working on a "View a RO match live" tool.
A mutator sends the player datas (position etc) via udp to my c++ server, which then sends the data to clients connected to the server.
The tool will be able to show a RO match with a time delay.
currently i can only show 2D bitmaps of the map, which is ok for now.

The next step i would do is to load the 3d maps into the client to show the game in a 3d environment. Now my questions, I hope you can help me.
1.) is there a way to export the maps into a format like VRML, X3d, 3ds, or maya binary/ascii so i can load the maps with my own programm. I only need the polygons with uv-mapping... that's it, maybe the BSP-tree structure
2.) if 1.) does not exist, is there a file specification out for the .rom / .ucx files
3.) am i allowed to use this data (maps, textures etc) to build it into my programm. I should know it, so i don't get into license troubles.

any help is welcome, i will do this project for freeware and open source, so you (tripwire) can have a look into it if you wish.

i really hope you will support me a bit :)
thx for reading this and maybe posting a answer

best regards
Sgt. Malony

EDIT: after searching for hours now, i think the best solution would be to load the RO data directly (.rom, .ucx... files). That would mean that only poeple who have RO can watch the 3D map, and there are no license troubles then. I have found a package extractor on the unreal wiki side, but it fails to load RO packages. So, can you help me, i would need:
a) file specifications for .rom and .ucx files or
b) static library with a header that loads the maps for me (no you should not do extra work, only if this already exists)
c) any other help :)

please, support me, because RO has no good tool to watch matches yet. Without support of you i will do this with a simple 2D map, but with a 3D map would be cooler :)

Last edited:
Writing to me at 2 in the morning my time won't get a response. I am in bed even though I leave my IRC client on.

I passed this thread up to other people after you first contacted me about it. They might have forgotten about it, the team is very busy. For best results hang on in IRC till somebody responds back to you. If I am not responding it means I am gone, otherwise I will always answer a question.

Upvote 0
you're opening a big can of worms trying to replicate RO matches outside of the unreal engine.

Your best bet would be to construct a mutator system.

Server with match - Sends specator data to a lone client.

This lone client then acts as a server to send this data to all clients attached to it.

I believe this is what utv does anyway.

Upvote 0
you're opening a big can of worms trying to replicate RO matches outside of the unreal engine.

Your best bet would be to construct a mutator system.

Server with match - Sends specator data to a lone client.

This lone client then acts as a server to send this data to all clients attached to it.

I believe this is what utv does anyway.

1.) still doesnt give you the overview this tool offers
2.) doesnt allow people without RO watching
3.) all already works in 2D, only to get a 3D representation the map data would be needed

Upvote 0
Hi,
You can export the level through the editor by opening the level and going to export and pick OBJ. That can be imported into your 3d program of choice. But to warn you it will be thousands of objects and a lot of polygons, so unless you have a pretty good system, its gonna be difficult. Thats the only way to get the 3d data out of a level. Does this help. Sorry for the delay in response, i've had a very heavey deadline going on right now.
Cheers,
David

Upvote 0
hi, np, but thanks for the response.
I've tried the export to obj and import it with maya 7.0... it shows nothing.... even the obj file is really tiny ( i think it should have at least 30MB for a map... )
At the current level of implementation it would be easier for me to read the .rom and .ucx files directly, so I don't have to add all the files (which are BIG) to my project. If you know about file format specifications i would be very happy :)
The implementation of a working 3d engine will be no problem, i am building engines and stuff like this for years now

Upvote 0