• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need advice on a PS3 purchase

Panzer Meyer

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2005
North Cacilaci
I am looking through craigslist for a PS3, found someone who seems legit with a PS3 in a good, working condition. It is the 40GB version, he wants $200 for it.

Is that a decent deal, or am I wasting money? Should I cough up the other $100 and get a 80GB bran new from the store instead? Is there something the 40GB doesn't have that the 80GB version does? Other than half the hard drive space of course.

Thanks for the advice.

I don't know much about PS3s, but if I were you, I'd forget the 40GB and 80GB and look for a 60GB instead. If I remember correctly, they're backwards-compatible which means you can play PS2 games on it. :) (and maybe PS1 games, but I dunno. :( )

Well I don't care to play PS2 game on it. If that is the only draw back in getting the 40GB, I don't care. Are there any other drawback over the 40GB and any other version of the PS3? Other than of course the hard drive size.

Upvote 0
Well I don't care to play PS2 game on it. If that is the only draw back in getting the 40GB, I don't care. Are there any other drawback over the 40GB and any other version of the PS3? Other than of course the hard drive size.
The hard drive size isn't a draw back, you can buy a cheap bigger HDD and put it in there, the instructions are even in the PS3 manual.

If you think it's legit I say buy it!

Upvote 0
I'd be wary of electronics on Craigslist. I've been searching just like you but I've decided I'd rather spend the extra money and make sure I don't get screwed. Either that or I'm gonna buy a broken one that's fixable, give myself a project, and save money in the process.

I hope I don't get screwed over either. I've been searching for a decent deals for a over a week now. This guy seems legit, not that anyone cares, but he apparently owns his own Karate Dojo. That's where he is, and that's where I am going to buy the unit from him. I figure a guy like that is less likely to be a scammer/douche.

He was even willing to do a FaceTime via iPhone4, I don't have an iPhone 4. So again, the tells me he is still less likely to be a scammer/douche selling me a broken console.

I'll report back when I get it and see if I was screwed over. I hope not. :)

Upvote 0
Probably legit but knowing karate could also mean he could scam you and then kick your *** if you complain lol. Just ask him to demo it for you. And not just a turn it on type of thing. Use a disk to make sure the disk tray or the disc reader isn't ****ed and that the peripheral ports actually work. I know in those situations you just wanna pay and bounce but remember how pissed you'll be if you leave, find something broken, and didn't bother to check it before you handed over the money. I've done that before. It sucks.

Upvote 0
IIRC, the 60GB PS3s were put out of development because of several overheating and Crashing problems.

More likely because they actually cost the most to make. The first versions of the PS3 actually allow you to play PS1 games, super audio cds and offer a multimedia card reader and some additional usb slots. Not to forget the ability to run linux on it (if you do not update your firmware :p).

Upvote 0
Sweet, thank you! It is pretty legit, seems that way. I am heading out to take a look at it today.

I'd say stay away from 40Gb and 60Gb models at the moment. I was in your situation too when I decided to get a PS3 last year, and what I've read about 40 and 60's were not so good.

There are two 40Gb versions around and one of the has a 90nm GPU, which is more prone to the infamous PS3 "Yellow Light of Death". Some people just reflow their YLOD PS3's to bring them back to life temporarily and "shamelessly" sell them on Ebay to invest for a new PS3.

Another reason is PS3 lenses are known for their unreliability(which is why Sony seperated Bluray/DVD lens for the later models). Buying an older PS3 means you might get a laser lens that is on the verge of failure. Or you might get a 40Gb with a single lens.

Sony asks 150$ to fix both these issues so I'd suggest that you just buy a new Slim and never look back :) Slim runs cooler, more silent but looks like a cheap plastic toy(I love my 80Gb :D ).

Upvote 0