• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

my thoughts/suggestion

O'Shannon

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2006
Germany
some of my suggestions...

1) grenades should cause a viewshack and/or blur if you get hit directly(at the head).

1.1) grenades and other explosives should explode(or become a dud) when being hit by bullets..no matter if its liying some where or being tosed at you.

2) knife as "last defence weapon"(if you get your weapon shot out of your hands (if the "weapon shot out of your hand"-feature is still in)). if you lose/drop a bayo-attached-rifle or semi, your knife is gone, too.

2.1) weapon priority should be changeable...autoswitchweapon to weapon with the highest priority.
example:

Code:
-1 rifle, smg,... , MG, |           |    -1 rifle, smg,... , MG,  
-2 pistol               |           |    -2 pistol
-3 nades                |    -->    |    -3 knife
-4 knife                |           |    -4 nades   
-5 binos                |           |    -5 binos

if you lose 1 autoswitch to 2 or
if you lost 1 and 2 and lose 4 autoswitch to 3

3) you should be able to drop and pick up every weapon (binoculars as well), hate to have binoculars as commander on maps you cant call arty anyway
(died to many times in hot situations while switching weapons hasty and ending up with binos :eek:.).

3.1)killed player drops only selected weapon.. other stuff. like nades... needs to be picked up at the dead body.

4) you should be able to abort reloading with switching weapon or melee attacks.

5) PPLLLLEEAASSEEE... no 1st-person-3rd-person-animation timing lapse like in RO:OST (prone-crouch-popupping;)).

6) positional audio for voicecommands and voicechat.

7) 3 aimmodes like in RnL ..hip/sholder/ironsights. keybind options for each of those 3 modes + aimmodeUp, aimmodeDown

if there will be vehicles in the game:

8) you should be able to kill people in vehicles... nading and shooting halftrack passengers, shooting tankcrew thought observation slit's...

9) position switching, enter, exit animations for vehicles

10) infantry shoud be able to ride on tank and still be able to shoot (some view-vibration(addicted by engine rpm) + tank movment should make it very difficult to hit )

For the l

Last edited:
Reactions: LemoN
Secondary explosives, generally the blasting charge of high explosives. Does not ignite by fire and definitely not by bullets hitting it. (Just try to get some ammoniumnitrate to explode without a booster and primary charge)

You need a Primary explosive and possibly a booster to let it detonate, primary explosives used in that time where probably kind of unstable so they could explode if the detonator was mounted when dropping it. But a bullet probably would pass through pretty clean if it didnt hit the actual detonating charge.

Upvote 0
too much detail. shooting grenades causing malfunction can be programming time dedicated to more important features. sure it'll be cool to see some really in depth gameplay features, but at least get the base game polished first. overall the grenade thing is utterly unecessary

also there is no hip mode in real life. soldiers were trained to generally have their weapons shouldered any time they were in combat.

Upvote 0
I'd love to see hip-shooting reduced no doubt. Make it so that if you did fire a hip shot the odds of hitting are very, very low even with a semi, they would need a way to make it so that the screen couldn't be used as a reference and that no matter how much you practice hip shooting would never become an option and everyone would pull up to shoot.

Upvote 0
I'd love to see hip-shooting reduced no doubt. Make it so that if you did fire a hip shot the odds of hitting are very, very low even with a semi, they would need a way to make it so that the screen couldn't be used as a reference and that no matter how much you practice hip shooting would never become an option and everyone would pull up to shoot.

I dont agree with this, if you can do it in R/L you should be able to do it in game, not force the gameplay down the throat of the players just because someone thinks its how it should to be played

Upvote 0
I dont agree with this, if you can do it in R/L you should be able to do it in game, not force the gameplay down the throat of the players just because someone thinks its how it should to be played

Close quarters is one thing but hip shots from 50+ meters, come on, it's a bit ridiculous. I know I do it enough with a bolt. If I ever used a semi I'd never need to use iron sites again and some folks have already become accustomed to this in RO.

Upvote 0
well, at least recoil should be bigger when hipshooting.
Throwing nades inside tank through hatch would be nice. However it gives even more AT option to regular infantry. Right now you can see too many suicidal sapper and/or bombing cart BA-64. You can alos add gun damage system, optics damage, killing crew inside. And of course more vehicles and flamethrowers!

Upvote 0
O'Shannon said:
nading and shooting halftrack passengers, shooting tankcrew thought observation slit's...
Impossible there is armored glass in the observation slots that protect you exactly from that not to mention you could close a thickly armored sleave over that. Passengers in Half-track are low enough that you can't shoot them off from the out-side. Grenades would work if you get it inside the half-track.
Fedorov said:

When would you ever "hip shoot" with a bolt action rifle in real life? In a life and death situtation noone would not rely on "luck" you would aim down the sights or use the bayonet! Rifles should not be used like that, Smgs however should be pretty easy to hip shoot with at closer ranges.

Nestor Makhno said:
RPG-40 and Geballte Ladung ftw, of course.
Real 3kg German tin charge.. with much lessened throw distance and effectiveness against tanks (should be on engine deck to cause harm) than the stachel charge in RO: Ost-front

Last edited:
Reactions: Hausfeld
Upvote 0
Impossible there is armored glass in the observation slots that protect you exactly from that not to mention you could close a thickly armored sleave over that.

didnt knew that if thats the case then the glass should break making it harder for tank crew too look though it..

Passengers in Half-track are low enough that you can't shoot them off from the out-side. Grenades would work if you get it inside the half-track.
have you ever, ever played Smolensk????

When would you ever "hip shoot" with a bolt action rifle in real life? In a life and death situtation noone would not rely on "luck" you would aim down the sights or use the bayonet! Rifles should not be used like that, Smgs however should be pretty easy to hip shoot with at closer ranges.

dont have weapon experience in RL but if you woulde train over years to shoot from hip i would guess you would get good enough to hip accurate at least in closerange.(i mean ingame you can train as much as you want ... enough time to learn good hipshooting)

Last edited:
Reactions: LemoN
Upvote 0
yeah that was my though when I read TT33's post.:D

Also in urban maps you should be able to fire out of windows down into a HT.

And ofc the bren carrier doesn't have high sides anyway.

On a related note, I was thinking that maybe the russians should get a new apc, maybe a lend/lease M3? As if shooting into vehichles is implemented, the HT will be at a considerable advantage over the bren, and it can already carry more people anyway.

One way of balancing it could be to increase the bren carriers speed, as at the moment it is unrealistly slow I belive.

Upvote 0
O'Shannon said:
didnt knew that if thats the case then the glass should break making it harder for tank crew too look though it..
Concentrated fire propbably mg fire would be needed to crack the glass enough to blind the driver. It was incredibly easy to replace for both the commander (the cuploa) and the driver (view slit) and there were plenty replacements in the vehicle. Also they could just as easily close the armored shutter on top of the armor glass both on the commander's cupola and in the driver's view slit which they typically did in combat. The Driver maintained visablity through episcopes-(binocular like periscopes). Like on Captain O's Stug III E on Ro-Pavolov'shouse.

O'Shannon said:
have you ever, ever played Smolensk????

Its a stock map (well now anyway) who has not played it? I guess you were refering to a stuck angled ( so that you can see the people on the inside or just in a ditch) sdkfz-251... True if can see the crew because its ina ditch or whatever you should be able to shoot them however its not really a good sdkfz 251 map. Smolensk brings to light alot of the sdkfz-251's flaws in Ro for example its possible to destroy and damage the half-track with small arms all APCS were bulit to be invulnerable to small arms fire the gun shield offers little if any frontal protection so you can not cover the infantry you just drove there, it leans (there is a bit of a lean bug on it you modders know what i'm talking about). It's pretty much its a drive and ditch vehicle in Ro but especially on that map. Ro-tractor works is better more team work and it actually gets some use of the Mg not an attempted "run-over spree".

O'Shannon said:
dont have weapon experience in RL but if you woulde train over years to shoot from hip i would guess you would get good enough to hip accurate at least in closerange.(i mean ingame you can train as much as you want ... enough time to learn good hipshooting)

Rifles are clumsy weapons at close range they are ment to be used for medium to long ranges that's what you would be trained to use them for. If you get in a close range fight you use the rifle like a club or the bayonet attachement other than that you have to rely on the Smg support. That was the purpose of smgs close medium range support because rifles could not cut it.

Pharnakes said:
On a related note, I was thinking that maybe the russians should get a new apc, maybe a lend/lease M3? As if shooting into vehichles is implemented, the HT will be at a considerable advantage over the bren, and it can already carry more people anyway.

One way of balancing it could be to increase the bren carriers speed, as at the moment it is unrealistly slow I belive.

I hope they get a Gaz or Zis truck (I would not mind any lend lease stuff either) and please God no clown car.

Speeds are an average of top road speed and top cross country speed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Secondary explosives, generally the blasting charge of high explosives. Does not ignite by fire and definitely not by bullets hitting it. (Just try to get some ammoniumnitrate to explode without a booster and primary charge)

You need a Primary explosive and possibly a booster to let it detonate, primary explosives used in that time where probably kind of unstable so they could explode if the detonator was mounted when dropping it. But a bullet probably would pass through pretty clean if it didnt hit the actual detonating charge.

Ammonium nitrate plus a small amount of aluminum powder is explosive, and can be set off by the impact of a rifle bullet. Has to be something fast-moving, though. .17 HMR will do it, so will most rifle calibers other than .22 LR.

Upvote 0