• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics My tank knocked out in 1 or 2 shots

Aiming main gun

Aiming main gun

I keep my sights set at 200m in German tanks and either 0 or 400m in Russian ones.

At the 200m setting it seems that the round wants to land right on the tip of the triangle in the German gun sights and this makes it much easier for me because it's like using the K98.

It seems to greatly increase my number of first-round hits doing it that way.

Using the Russian sights I usually leave it at 0m for the T-34/85 and at 400m for the IS2.

I try to avoid using the T-34/76 if at all possible because I play on a widescreen monitor and the sight isn't set up for it, so I get a lot of weird misses.
~Edit~
Also, after you play a while you'll get better at guestimating ranges and what setting your gunsight should be at. Like, iirc to hit an IS2 on the Allied spawn hill from the right-side Axis spawn on Arad your gunsight should be at 500m. In a Panther, anyways.

It's just like learning to use the bolties, after a while you'll learn to read the direction and speed of a target and you'll know about where to hold over to hit them.

Just like yesterday I figured out the trick to how to almost always hit a laterally-moving infantryman using the bolt action rifles. As long as they're not sprinting, or like 200m away, it seems like I can always get a first or second-round hit on them.

Just keep playing and practicing and eventually you'll just "know" where to aim.

Hmmm, I usually use the aiming recticle at the tip of the triangle, and seems to work for me. The reason I do this is because take the Panzer IV as an example-you cannot see through the triangle as it is black. Whether this is correct I do not know. Is there something on the forum to clarify correct method of aiming main gun?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nice find.
Do the TZF sigths really work this way irl ? :
33d16e137775e895c1d62684d27b7fb11565e813.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice find.
Do the TZF sigths really work this way irl ? :

Yes. There is enough wartime training material available on the subject to recreate firing techinques used with Tzf (Or for that matter any other tank gunsight currently modeled in RO).

What I am uncertain of in terms of the RO game engine is if there is a direct relationship between gunsight scales provided on the sight reticle\graticules graphics we see when we look through our virtual gunsights and the simulated range within the vitual world of the game. In theory if virtual range is accurately modeled and gunsight reticles scaled properly, you should be able to get a pretty good estimate of range using mil scale or strich. UK uses minutes and seconds of degrees -- but same difference. Soviets used a 6000-mil circle -- USA and Germans used a 6400-mil circle.

The simple method of estimating range is via what the US Army calls the WORM formula or WORM Equation. It is sort of explained on the web site posted above. Basically if you know the width or height of your target it is very simple to estimate range to the target using the graticule or reticle provided in a TCs binoculars or a gunners sight picture. The graticule\reticle lines have well defined lengths, heights, and widths in terms of whatever angular scale was being employed by the Army of interest -- 6000mil circle -- 6400mil circle or 3600-minute/21600-second circle.

For example in real life -- lets say you know your target is about 2.5meters in height. You look through your gunsight and determine via one of your verticle reticle lines (or triangles in Tzf) that the angular height of the target is 5-mils. The range to the target can than be determined by the WORM Equation:

(2.5meters x 1000)/5-mils = 500meters.

So the range is about 500-meters.

If the angular height of the vehicle was determined by the TC or gunner to be only say 1.5-mils, than the approximate range would be:

(2.5meters x 1000)/1.5-mils = 1667meters or round up to about 1700m

Can you do this with any consistancy in the game envirnoment provided in RO? That I Don't. If everything is scaled correctly you should be able to do exactly the above -- set your gun range\super elevation to the range you calc'd from WORM Equation; place the cross hair center of mass and have a very good chance of hitting the target.

But The gunsight graphics have to be properly scaled and virtual distance within the playing environment has be scaled correctly.

My hunch has always been reticle scaling and virtual range in the game dont jive with reality -- but it is easy enough to check by setting up a test map. Just an aside, but I have suspected for sometime that the stock RO T34/76 gunsight reticle wasn't calibrated properly. This was sort of fixed in Armored Beasts. But whether or not AB does any better with proper reticle scaling, I do not know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tank Angles

Tank Angles

Angle the Tiger between the 1:30 and the 10:30; I prefer the 10:30 especially on big maps. For the panther, is should be between 11:45 to 1:15

Ah just what I needed to know, as I use Tigers and Panthers mainly. However where will I find the recommended angles for all other tanks? Why is the right hand angle on the Panther greater than the left - the left is hardly any angle at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, HE shells always damages tank (to some degree) no matter what angle in RO. If you aim on some 'proper' location it may be a matter of few HE shells and the tank's goner. ISU-152 in Pariserplatz can take Panther down with one HE if you manage to get a shot around the engine.

But generally speaking if you know where to shoot HE shells are not always necessary even against angled tanks, as oddly enough almost every tank seems to have magical weak spot(tm) against certain types of tanks if nothing else.

Upvote 0
Hallo Tonyuk,

I have seen and spoken with you online, I share your frustration with this game.

You should read this thread, if you have not already, to see why you are being so quickly shot away by the Russian tanks:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=35105

Hopefully we will fix this problem on our servers at the 10PD at least on some of the maps. Unfortunately there seems to be a bit of resistance to this change though.

Cheers

Alan

Upvote 0