• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics My tank knocked out in 1 or 2 shots

This is making the game very frustrating to play, and I wonder if this is realistic. I am talking about frontal hits even in a Panther and having to go back to start line. If I am a lone tanker in the gunners position then the driver is not present until you swap positions so I am wondering is there a way to completely shut the drivers hatch? The mouse wheel just alternates various drive positions but I cant close it. The frontal armour on a tiger and panther is the strongest yet it makes no difference in the game - except for hull down.

This is making the game very frustrating to play, and I wonder if this is realistic. I am talking about frontal hits even in a Panther and having to go back to start line. If I am a lone tanker in the gunners position then the driver is not present until you swap positions so I am wondering is there a way to completely shut the drivers hatch? The mouse wheel just alternates various drive positions but I cant close it. The frontal armour on a tiger and panther is the strongest yet it makes no difference in the game - except for hull down.

Can't close the driver hatch ? That's strange. Tha panther's drivers positions alternates from unbutonned to a neat periscope...

And the Panther's front armour is scary, far more than the Tiger's, it takes the 122mm D-25T L / 43 of a JS' to crack it in my experience, shots from a ZiZ-S-53 just bounce again and again... I surmise you've been fired at by JS2s...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Justa stock mod

Justa stock mod

Were you playing on an Armored Beasts server? With that mod, you would want to point your front armor at the enemy tank. If its still the stock game, maybe he was hitting your panther where the turret and the hull meet.

Maybe I need to go back and take another look at the armour specs for each tank in more detail.

Upvote 0
Key to successful tank fighting is not to get hit in the first place. Use cover as much as possible, change position after a few kills unless it's a perfect one so that you don't get flanked by respawned enemies, when you shoot reveal your self as little as possible and to as few enemies as possible. Keep your head outside the turret all the time when you are not directly shot at so that you know what is happening around you, when you know where the enemies are you can decide where you can safely maneuver and where you shouldn't go at all. Don't waste time shooting at angled T-34's or IS-2's, you'll just get killed, go back to cover and go around them. Start playing with Pz IV, and when you can survive with that only then switch to Panthers and Tigers, otherwise you'll just waste good tanks.

Upvote 0
Thanks Basil

Thanks Basil

Key to successful tank fighting is not to get hit in the first place. Use cover as much as possible, change position after a few kills unless it's a perfect one so that you don't get flanked by respawned enemies, when you shoot reveal your self as little as possible and to as few enemies as possible. Keep your head outside the turret all the time when you are not directly shot at so that you know what is happening around you, when you know where the enemies are you can decide where you can safely maneuver and where you shouldn't go at all. Don't waste time shooting at angled T-34's or IS-2's, you'll just get killed, go back to cover and go around them. Start playing with Pz IV, and when you can survive with that only then switch to Panthers and Tigers, otherwise you'll just waste good tanks.

Thats useful advise, I have not been too good on the concealment aspect of the game. I wonder if anyone has survived a tank round without getting killed. I notice too then when an objective seems defenceless, everone heads for it as do in order to get the the points. But points gain you nothing and it is a pity you do not gain experience points for every kill and lose them if you get killed too.

Upvote 0
Thats useful advise, I have not been too good on the concealment aspect of the game. I wonder if anyone has survived a tank round without getting killed. I notice too then when an objective seems defenceless, everone heads for it as do in order to get the the points. But points gain you nothing and it is a pity you do not gain experience points for every kill and lose them if you get killed too.

Well, I'd say it's pretty much impossible to survive a whole round in most maps. After all there's lots of enemies (and unfortunately friendlies also) trying to kill you. It's good also to recognice that capping is important also, I hate to see for example in Arad when lots of Germans stop trying to cap south field and just camp at the spawn exit. Sure you might get a few kills before you are dead but the game is lost: when the Russians get all of their tanks into positions hardly nobody is getting out of the spawn alive anymore.

i have to disagree with the "keep you head out of the hatch" Thing 'cause people r looking for that now with the watch a mole achievement and you never know u may take a tank round that will hit your body and kill u with out destroying your tank

I think it's worth the risk. I have a feeling that at least third of the tankers I've killed never saw it coming because they were buttoned in their turret, too concentrated on one target and looking the world just through the sights. If they would have popped their head out of the turret for a second or two and taken a look around they could have reacted somehow, e.g. by shooting back, taking cover or reangling their tank. Situational awareness is the key to everything.

Upvote 0
Noticeable improvements now

Noticeable improvements now

Well for one thing I had not noticed the tank icon at the bottom left of screen had clock settings so I can easily set more accurately 11am or 1pm, that helps. Best map for me is Brennus, more hide opportunities but as pointed out sooner or later you will get killed, it is a question of minimising this to prevent lower reinforcements. The other most important factor is team work. I notice that most players are German or Russian but it helps if you can make comments like reporting an enemy tank position, or where help may be needed, or even where you are heading. Playing a scenario where talk is virtually absent almost certainly results in defeat. I wish I knew how to use arty. One other thing I notice that IS2 have machine gun on rear of turrent but it does not appear that it can be used. how come russians always get to village first!!, and win most of the time. Depends whose playing I suppose - some names appear over and over and you get to know the better players, and its a pity you cannot tell who they are until a kill occurs.

Upvote 0
Well, I'd say it's pretty much impossible to survive a whole round in most maps. After all there's lots of enemies (and unfortunately friendlies also) trying to kill you.

As a lone tanker, I'd say yes. With teammates, its possible to survive - even while capping.

With two mates from a forum we team-tanked in a panther (for the first time) and recorded it. Count the deflected shots (and killed enemys :D ) if you like ;) I'm the driver btw.
Click me, I'm a streamable Video!

And yes, we are german. So we talk german over Teamspeak ;)

Upvote 0
Interesting Video

Interesting Video

As a lone tanker, I'd say yes. With teammates, its possible to survive - even while capping.

With two mates from a forum we team-tanked in a panther (for the first time) and recorded it. Count the deflected shots (and killed enemys :D ) if you like ;) I'm the driver btw.
Click me, I'm a streamable Video!

And yes, we are german. So we talk german over Teamspeak ;)

I noticed though that your main gun is not calibrated, usually I preset mine at 800m - yours is 0 m. I wonder how you managed to get so many hits. I have to play lone tanker most of time, not many English on the servers, though some stay silent!

Upvote 0
I use zero meters or "alzo zero" too,is more easy since (for me at least) you don't have to brainstorming and calculate the distance.It's like joking around with an SVD or 1p29 sights on OFP or ArmA once you know how big is your target at certain distaces you simple aim at it raise your gun and fire.Well you need some training to learn that trick that's why there are training ranges maps where you can do some drills with tanks and for ArmA/OFP you can simple turn on the editor place various AIs with different behaviour (running,crawling,walking,careless,combat mode etc) and distances to learn how to kill a target without thinking ;)

Upvote 0
I keep my sights set at 200m in German tanks and either 0 or 400m in Russian ones.

At the 200m setting it seems that the round wants to land right on the tip of the triangle in the German gun sights and this makes it much easier for me because it's like using the K98.

It seems to greatly increase my number of first-round hits doing it that way.

Using the Russian sights I usually leave it at 0m for the T-34/85 and at 400m for the IS2.

I try to avoid using the T-34/76 if at all possible because I play on a widescreen monitor and the sight isn't set up for it, so I get a lot of weird misses.

~Edit~
Also, after you play a while you'll get better at guestimating ranges and what setting your gunsight should be at. Like, iirc to hit an IS2 on the Allied spawn hill from the right-side Axis spawn on Arad your gunsight should be at 500m. In a Panther, anyways.

It's just like learning to use the bolties, after a while you'll learn to read the direction and speed of a target and you'll know about where to hold over to hit them.

Just like yesterday I figured out the trick to how to almost always hit a laterally-moving infantryman using the bolt action rifles. As long as they're not sprinting, or like 200m away, it seems like I can always get a first or second-round hit on them.

Just keep playing and practicing and eventually you'll just "know" where to aim.

Last edited:
Upvote 0