• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My review of BF2142

The year is 2142, and a new ice age has turned most of europe into uninhabitable arctic tundra. This has caused the EU and the newly formed Pan Asian Coelition to begin fighting over habitable land. Massive ships previously used to evacuate civilians have been converted into mobile assault bases, and war has begun.

The game consists of combined arms fighting over large maps, involving tanks, infantry, aircraft and the awesome Battle Walkers. There are two modes of play, one, conquest, involves holding strategic points of land causing your oponents reinforcement tickets to drain. This mode will be farmiliar to anyone that has played any of the previous Battlefield games. A new mode is titan mode,where each team has a massive mobile base, with guns, and a dock for aircraft. The two teams fight for control over missile silos, in an attempt to bring down the enemy titans shield, at which point it is boarded, and control panels are destroyed untill the reactor core is open. Once destroyed, the game is over.

Combat is pretty standard, with 4 classes, Recon (A sniper/spec ops combined class) Assualt, who as well as being the main combat force on the field, also function as medics. Then there is the engineer, who can repair vehicles, as well as carrying a hefty anti armour weapon. Finally there is the Support class, who carrys a light machine gun, which in an interesting twist, gets acurate the longer you fire it for. He also carrys around spare ammunition.
The fighting is really fast paced, especially on the titan, but some of the guns could be a little more accurate. Tank combat is interesting, as one sides tank can hover, thus being able to side straif, but cannot revolve its turret. The other is standard tank tracks, and can revolve its turret.
An interesting idea is that of the active defence counter measure, which is a shield, mounted on the heavier vehicles, and on planes, which you can activate for a small amout of time and makes your vehicle impervious to damage.
An other great thing is the unlocks system, which adds an almost RPGesque dynamic to the game, as you customise your character to suit your needs.

Sound in the game is great, the guns sound visceral, and meaty. The tanks and planes also have a distinct noise to them. If you are in a quiet spot of the map, you can often hear distant combat, which is very atmospheric. The sound track (which you only hear on the menu and loading screens) is also very nice. I have even encoded the sound track into MP3 so I can listen to it on my MP3 player.

The graphics are not that bad, with sharp textures, and interesting details. The maps are a bit colourless though, most maps are either icy colours or deserty colours. There is an odd bloom effect that while strange, seems somehow fitting. Unfortunatly, even though this game does not have the graphical fidelity of current titles, you still need a fairly decent system to get the most out of it.

Since the game is supposed to be based around team play, I may as well say a little on it. At the moment, there are still many that play "lone wolf" without a squad, but I think as soon as the majority of people realise you can get nearly double the points by being in a squad (you get bonus points for killing and such inside order radiuses) there will be a lot of team play going on. Giving orders is really easy too, you just point at the icon for the silo or flag, and press T and click. Then everyone on your squad gets an "attack here" message.

At the moment there are a few bugs, for instance when the titan is moving, the game gets quite laggy inside the titan. Also, many users are reporting being kicked from the game, when they lose connection of the EA master server. There are also problems (at release) with unlocks taking a while to register, but EA has put this down to larger than predicted server load. Also, some people are worried about the card that comes with the game, mentioning ingame advertisements. (Some people have misinterpreted it as that it reads your browsing history. This is false. See http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=ErFgZzki&p_faqid=14211 for more info.)
To sum up, it is bloody good fun if you get a friend or two on a teamspeak server, and one of my favorite multiplayer games. I would give it 8/10

The above was written for an other website.
Just so you know, I still play RO, but sometimes I want some arcady action, instead of realism. I just wish you guys would get over yourselves, you treat the BF series like an insult to your inteligence. It is arcady fun, it makes no qualms about this, what with pods that can shoot a player half way across the map, and big stompy robots.
Oh, and about the adverts: I really hope someone gets sued for all the libelus crap some sites have spewed about the BF2142 ad system. It DOES NOT look at what you browse at. What it records is this:
Your IP
How big the ads are on your screen, and what angle you are at
What country you are in, so the adverts are targeted at your country.

Anyway, what do you guys think of the game (if you have played it) and what do you think of my review, considering it is the first I have written.

Yeh exactly.

As for fun with friends BS, none of my mates play this game. So does that mean I'm screwed? Am I now alienated from the awesome awesomeness people like thorpy are experiencing??

This game is just not my cup of tea. BF2 may have been a sci-fi game as well cos of all the bunny-hopping & dolphin-diving sploits!! It felt like you were fighting the Chinese Gymnastic team all the fecking time :rolleyes:

Yeh I'l be returning this POS first opportunity! I didnt word it like that to my g'friends bro off course!! Keke :p

Upvote 0
In game advertisement in a full priced game mod = no thanks, kthxbai
It looks like BF2 and it feels like BF2 even with the "omg the titan modus is so special and cool"1!!!!
I've played the full version, I didn't see any more teamplay than in BF2.

I mean did you ever look at the rag doll animations? They are still the same, if you shoot someone it looks like a plastic doll with seizure is falling to the ground.

This "game" is not better than BF2, it's still the same old story. I don't hate EA or the BF series. I am still waiting for some good BF2 mods *sigh*

Upvote 0
"I just wish you guys would get over yourselves, you treat the BF series like an insult to your inteligence"
Have you even TRIED the game yet? And I mean the actual game, not the "filled with idiots looking for a free game" demo.

I insult EA rather often and I usually back it up with valid arguments.

Yes I have played the bf2... I unfortunately paied 59$ CDN for it
Yes I have played bf2142

(I wish you knew how HAPPY I was when I saw RO being advertised on steam because BF2 was very frustrating, EA support was almost insulting, community seems to be 50% retarded)

Excellent review, I do agree with it.

The game has many pro's like most of ea's games... however it does have a lot of cons.

For the DEMO of 2142... I can say I had some fun with it... but the gameplay just is not my type.

For BF2... after a clean windows, update, videodrivers, directx install...
I HAD TO INSTALL THE GAME 3 TIMES IN ORDER TO GET IN !!

Install once, restart pc, install HUGE PATCH, Restart PC, get in game... no sound
try to get out... computer goes insane.... reset pc

I try to get back in the game... INVALID CD KEY

Uninstall, restart pc, reinstall, restart pc, patch, restart pc

(When I got it working... I got discusted with the lack of respect and selfishness of players)
(I know that it depends on servers, and I can fall on great games... but in bf2... good people are not easy to find)

This is just to say that EA RUSHES THEIR GAME to the point that they are unstable.

They centralized Keeping TRACK OF ALL GAMERS... OBVIOUSLY UNDERESTIMATING THE SERVER REQUIREMENTS !!!!!!

For them to PATCH... they MUST SELL A BOOSTER PACK...
(and the priority is to add functions in vanilla bf to make people who pay able to play on the OLD maps with their new guns... in other words, I am saying that EA has some very coorporate, dirty ways to work)

Edit.
One thing I can say...
Totalbf2 is a rather decent well moderated forum for bf2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is a good site.......however........the podcast is just pure EA ass kissing.
You never hear any criticism, that just as bad as only criticism.

Like Adam Sessler, justifying in game advertisement and background checking.
Ok nothing against in game advertisement as long as players get something for it. Or if they need to get their money back because the development was so expensive.
But wtf? I doubt that BF2142 cost that much money and EA isn't really poor either especially since the addon/booster packs.

If they release a groundbreaking BF3 which is really espensive ok fine, or if they make their games a little cheaper. But in game advertisement for a mod? No way, you cannot justify that.

It's ok that companies want to make money and get their profit, thats natural. But there are different ways to do that, EA is a slaughter machine for innovation and developers. They fight dirty and cheap just to get as much profit as possible.
Extremes are never good, the middle is the way to go.

Upvote 0
EA is a gaming company run by businessmen, not gamers or even game developers. I do not support them nor their products, and yes I have played them. There was a time when it wasn't so bad, honestly. The first Black and White, Alice, Undying, and a whole host of games where EA was simply the publisher, and didn't attempt to buy out and brand everything they thought was remotely proffitable were solid games. That was several years ago, though. I made the mistake of buying BF2 a few months ago to silence a friend, and I have regretted going against my gut on that one ever since. It won't happen again, to be sure.

And that's not to mention the bull**** about in-game ads with no benefit to the consumer at all.

Upvote 0
EA is a gaming company run by businessmen, not gamers or even game developers. I do not support them nor their products, and yes I have played them. There was a time when it wasn't so bad, honestly. The first Black and White, Alice, Undying, and a whole host of games where EA was simply the publisher, and didn't attempt to buy out and brand everything they thought was remotely proffitable were solid games. That was several years ago, though. I made the mistake of buying BF2 a few months ago to silence a friend, and I have regretted going against my gut on that one ever since. It won't happen again, to be sure.

And that's not to mention the bull**** about in-game ads with no benefit to the consumer at all.

Something changed with EA shortly after Alice was released. I know America McGee doesn't even have the rights to that game now.

I thought the MOH series up to Breakthrough was good as well as Need for Speed. I just lost faith in their games after MOH:pA. I've also played BF2, when it wasn't locking up or crashing, and it's just not my cup of tea.

Upvote 0
I played the demo, it was not good enough to waste that much money on, and how can you defend the ad system? who cares what it records or what it doesn't record, JUST HAVING IT THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE IS WRONG, I DON'T WANT ADVERTS WHEN I'M PLAYING, DO I NEED TO SEE THEM? I PAYED FOR THIS GAME!

Imagine renting a video and then having to watch comercial breaks, seriously!

Upvote 0
I played the demo, it was not good enough to waste that much money on, and how can you defend the ad system? who cares what it records or what it doesn't record, JUST HAVING IT THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE IS WRONG, I DON'T WANT ADVERTS WHEN I'M PLAYING, DO I NEED TO SEE THEM? I PAYED FOR THIS GAME!

Imagine renting a video and then having to watch comercial breaks, seriously!

i agree with that

Upvote 0