• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My review of BF2142

EA started to become seriously money hungry after the success of mohaa. They promptly stole the rights from 2015 (the devs) and released only one patch. They then proceded to make their own in house expansions which were close to diabolical (especially the mp side of it). Then to rub salt in the wound they released Paciffic assualt which ran at 1 fps on max settings on the most powerful system of the time!!! (plus it was boring as ****).

I look foward to Moh Airborne but hold no great hope on it being good. It will be more suprising if its good than attrocious to me hence ill be waiting for community! (not paid magazines sites etc) to review it.

Upvote 0
I played the demo, it was not good enough to waste that much money on, and how can you defend the ad system? who cares what it records or what it doesn't record, JUST HAVING IT THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE IS WRONG, I DON'T WANT ADVERTS WHEN I'M PLAYING, DO I NEED TO SEE THEM? I PAYED FOR THIS GAME!

Imagine renting a video and then having to watch comercial breaks, seriously!
I wasn't defending it, I was correcting the idiocy I am seeing everywhere
"OMG it reads my browser, looks at my email, and steals my children!!!11one" type stuff. I mean, yes, the adverts are bad, but other games have used them before. At least the system means the ads are always relavent, instead of when I go back and play older games and I see adverts for companys long gone bankrupt. Also, they have turned on the system, but only with sort of test adverts like "Join the EU" and "See burning berlin with Dice Airlines" and they look not bad, all artificially aged, and faded. I still don't like them, but at least they arn't big, red flashing and sparkly new.

Upvote 0
To be quite honest, I was disappointed with this title. Sure, the mix of multiple classes into one is nice and the customization is better to suit people, but I find the more classes the more it takes a well balanced team than a bunch of lone uber powered swiss army knife esque soldiers. Titan plays a -lot- like Conquest. Too much to really be considered a separate mode. Sure, you can speed up the final process with a swift boot ala UT Assault style, but that's about it. Gameplay wise it still pretty much felt the same. Inaccurate weapons, and horribly weak ones at that. Maybe that's just the use of CoD and ROO talking, but it could've been improved on at least. Basically, all in all, it's just a shinier BF2 with more unlocks. I'll get it, but only once it hits that 30-40 dollar bargain bin, much like I did with BF2.

Upvote 0
I just wish you guys would get over yourselves, you treat the BF series like an insult to your inteligence.

I don't count arcadishness as an insult to my intelligence, but BF2 and 2142 are crap. I made the mistake of buying BF2, and after learning about 2142 from fellow YBBS players, I can tell you they will NOT be getting my money. There are huge, glaring, exploitable glitches in the game.

In "Titan Mode (whatever that is...)":

THE ONE WHERE YOU GO IN A TRANSPORT AND HAVE ANOTHER PERSON IN IT TO AND GO ABOVE THE ENEMY TITAN AND THE OTHER PERSON KEEPS CHANGING SEATS I WAS DOING IT FOR SOME GUY AND I WAS LIKE WTF WHY AM I DOING THIS AND I LOOK AT HIS SCORE AND ITS LIKE 600 AND I WAS LIKE DANG THATS CHEATING AND I FELT A LITTLE DIRTY

Another in "Titan Mode:"

there is this other one on titan mode. you need to go support, place a ammo box on the titans guns and sit in the seats and keep switching them and firing, you can get easy ammo points just for doing that. use the F1-F5 keys and keep firing those guns and switching seats. i got 400 points just doing that. it was insane. and the sad thing is that the beta testers told EA this glitch plus the one you found plus the others i know of and they did not fix them. its a shame really

Bolded and underlined an important section of that statement. Why bother with a beta? What you're playing IS the beta, and you payed to do it. And then you insult the RO community, telling us to "get over ourselves," and that the horrid lack of quality control from EA isn't an insult to our intelligence?

As far as I've ever been able to tell, most of the ROers' problems with BF2 stemmed NOT from the arcade nature of play (I've seen too many of 'em own up to a CS:S addiction to buy that), but from the amount of glitches, the horrid attempts at "balancing" the teams, the clumsy, tacked-on features that are never really integrated into the game properly.

At least, that's what I hate about BF2.

Upvote 0
I know I may catch a little heck for this but I play games like BF2 almost exclusively in singleplayer. Same goes for RO (though as I learn more I may jump on a server. I just bought it.) BF2142 has made singleplayer almost worthless. I really don't understand why you would want to insert content in a game and then withhold it until you earn points on an EA ranked server. You don't even get grenades for pete's sake until you unlock them in multiplayer. I don't know what EA is trying to herd us into, but personally I have bought my last BF product unless they change their thinking. Does this encourage team play or does it just encourage spawn camping?

I honestly don't care about the ads. Like someone said, I'd rather see a relavent ad than an outdated one like you see in some games that really dates them. But start interfering with the gameplay due to ads loading, then we have a problem.

Because of all the above I checked out RO. I knew the UT mod was very good and have been very happy with my purchase of the Steam version. The tank battles are first rate, with long engagement ranges, and great stratagy that have not be done in any other game I know of. In BF2 I get in a tank and all I experience is lock on warnings and a quick respawn there after. Maybe I just need more practice? :)

Upvote 0
I always practice new games in SP. Unfortunately, the bots in RO:O are so dumb, they make single player a bad play. They're especially bad tankers. You almost have to jump in online to learn the game.

EA's got a real hard-on for their unlocks, ranks and awards system, I guess. I've been rather disappointed with the ranks and awards in BF2. It's absolutely retarded when you've got people on your team letting flags fall so they can pursue their pistol or knife combat badge. The only time I've EVER gotten effective, cooperative team play in BF2 is when I'm on with other YBBS members.

At least RO's "VOIP to the whole team" feature lets me yell at my team till they take action. :p

Upvote 0
Everything is fun with friends....even Boxwars for HL1 is fun on TS/Ventrillo with a bunch of friends.

You wouldn't happen to know where I could find the install for this mod would you? I looked and it's nowhere to be found! My friends and I love these kinds of mods.

Sorry for being slightly off-topic, you may continue your normal discussions.

Upvote 0
lols noobs, prepare to be ownzored by the FUKING BUGS EVERYWHERE 32%!?%!!!!!!ONE!!! and the 1 mabie 2 .. possibly 3? patches , then battlefield whatever gets released and your left in the dust with another 60 bucks wasted, JUST as all the mod teams are finished their first release ..

skrew the community
skrew the modders
skrew em all , just get the money
(above is the hardcorist motto of ea games, and dice)

Upvote 0