My dad's Vietnam photos: From Dak To to Quang Tri

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Sclass12

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 17, 2006
New Jersey
As some of you know, my dad served in the Vietnam War.
IMG_0033.jpg

As some of you may recall, there was a thread on here called "WWII Pics" or something to that effect. In it, I posted a few pictures of my dad's Vietnam photographs. The quality was awful, and I said I wish I had a scanner. Well yesterday, my parents bought a brand new printer/scanner/copier/faxer that enabled me to upload my dad's photos. So I did.

I have ordered these as best I could, so please forgive me if anything is out of order. I will post the front, and link to the writing on the back of the photo.

This is Part I.

Dak To/Pleiku, November 1967
IMG_0038.jpg

Back

IMG_0011.jpg

Back

IMG_0035.jpg

Back

LZ English, December 1967
IMG_0009.jpg

Back

IMG_0019-1.jpg

Back

IMG_0021-1.jpg

Back

IMG_0005.jpg

Back

IMG_0017-1.jpg

Back

Part II following shortly

Sclass12

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 17, 2006
New Jersey
Road To Da Nang, unknown date
IMG_0031.jpg

Back

IMG_0042.jpg

Back

IMG_0015.jpg

Back

Miscellaneous (nothing written on back)
IMG_0016-1.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

And here's a bonus shot of what I think is an M109 Self-propelled artillery gun, probably taken in Fort Dix in 1969 or 1970.
IMG_0062.jpg

Hope you enjoyed it.

Reactions: SoFGR1

Monkwarrior

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
I'm glad not of all them show total destruction.
It didn't make me happy at all, I hope your dad has come to terms with everything he witnessed.

Monk.

Shurek

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 21, 2006
www.darkesthourgame.com
Thanks for sharing your dad's pics - truly intense stuff.

Now that your parents have bought you a scanner, you can restore the poorer quality photos using PhotoShop so that your kids and their kids can have these as family heirlooms.

Capt.Marion

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 12, 2006
Beantown
Wow. I am perpetually intrigued by photos of the Viet-Nam Conflict... and I saw 6 M37s, too;) (I won't bother to mention the interesting red Deuce, probably a fire truck)

ImNotRyan

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 29, 2007
Florida
Lot of M2's rather than M16's for 1968, no?

I thought by 68 the changeover was in full force and support personal were having grease guns forced on them in an attempt by the whiz kids to eliminate .30 carbine from the armory.

But there's always more to the story than history teaches.

Sclass12

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 17, 2006
New Jersey
Lot of M2's rather than M16's for 1968, no?

I thought by 68 the changeover was in full force and support personal were having grease guns forced on them in an attempt by the whiz kids to eliminate .30 carbine from the armory.

But there's always more to the story than history teaches.
Wait what? :confused:

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you're saying. The guys with M2 Carbines are ARVN (Army, Republic of Vietnam) or my dad's RF/PF (Regional Forces/Popular Forces) my dad was advising and training.

Maxiimuz

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 18, 2007
Europe
Very nice pictures, Thank you! :) Its cool to see some new pics of wars sometimes... not always the same "dead-body" pictures...