• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My custom character has no animations

Hello everyone!

I tried to make a custom character for Killing Floor. First, I used the Stig model as a base, so I could replace the model with mine and it worked, later I edited and compiled the Stig code sources and I made it work. However, I tried with Server Perks, and I can't make the animations work.

I made my class based on the tutorial I found here. I compiled it and I can select my custom character, but it doesn't find the animations.

In KFEd, there is a KillingFloor_v animation set, it didn't work, I tried the original soldier animation, it didn't work. I don't even know, how many things I tried, but nothing worked. The animations play in KFEd, but not in the game. I enabled ShowLog and it says the animations are not found for the mesh.

I opened my character model in uModel, and all the animations were there, they all worked with both KillingFloor_v and the default soldier animation (I would prefer using the latest as it doesn't embed the animations into the ukx, just refers to it which means a way lower file size).

So... what do I do wrong? I wasted a whole day without success already.

I didn't modify the skeleton. Bone names, size, positions are all fine I think.

If I used the model as a replacement of the Stig model, it worked (with correct mesh, textures and animations). Well I made some changes since then (improved the head mesh, added some loops to the body, and reskinned the whole thing, I retexturized the model, because I wasn't happy with it).

And if I accidentally broke it somehow, is it normal, that uModel and KFEd plays the animations perfectly? Actually, I tried to debug with showlog and stat anim.

Showlog didn't say anything helpful but the animation name not found for my mesh.
For example: "Log: PlayAnim: Sequence 'Profile_Idle' not found for mesh 'KimiV2'"
stat anim debug:
Animation - mesh:KimiV2 actor:KFSpinnyWeap
instance:SkeletalMeshInstance channels:
And nothing after it. I checked all the other characters, they all have animation info there.

OK, because you succesfully made me unsure about the bone scaling thing ( hehehe :D), I will put the model again the "Stiggy" way! If it works with that, it will make me even confused, but also maybe it means, my skeleton structure is fine. I didn't modify the skeleton... or at least, I didn't want to! Well, let's wait and see... maybe I made a mistake that I didn't even realise.

So... editing, recompiling the Stig sources, and I will tell the result.

And thanks for the help!!! I can't wait to see my first player model working in the game with Server Perks.

Upvote 0
Did you link the animation to the mesh? Copy the animation set to your file, select it, go to "Edit" -> "Linkup anim and mesh" -> save package. Check if it works now.

Another way, open your file in the animation browser, select the mesh -> go to the tab "Animation" -> Adjust the default animation package to use your own animation set or the default kf one -> save package. Check if it works now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think, my animation is correctly linked to the mesh. This is, how it looks like in KFEd. I redone the model using the Stig model sources and that way, it works perfectly. But it doesn't for Server Perks.

KF_Kimi.PNG

Upvote 0
No problem, man! Thanks for trying to help me!

Finally, somehow, I resolved the problem... Honestly, I don't know, what was the problem exactly.

First, my character had animation in 3ds max. Just for testing the skin modifier. I don't think it was the problem. I guess, the exported did nothing about the animations, but I removed them because I had no other ideas.

I have a feeling that somehow the engine used an older version of my model. Where did it came from? I have no idea. When I opened the game, my character had the previous mesh with no animation. So I renamed my mesh in KFEd, also I recompiled my script with the modified mesh name, also I made my own character profile picture.

And somehow, it started to work! I can select it in ServerPerks as always, but it has all the animations now. I will tweak the model, hopefully the problem won't come back.

Here it is... I still threat it as WIP.
Shot00162.jpg

Shot00172.jpg

Upvote 0
There is a chance you have mistakenly saved another package with same name and game gets confused over which version to use. As example you work on the mesh on mesh browser and save package there as "ABC.ukx", then you import skin textures into same package on texture browser and save that one as "ABC.utx". Now both Animations/ABC.ukx and Textures/ABC.utx file contain nearly the same contents, but only one of the versions will be used.

That being said, you should only save it as either ABC.utx or ABC.ukx.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies guys! Actually, at the beginning, I had the same name for the ukx and utx files. Later, I changed it by adding _A and _T to the end of the file names so it's less confusing. Of course, I edited the source and recompiled it.

I can just hope, it won't happen in the future. I am planning to finish this model and create a few more. At least I got it working fine.
The plan with this model was to learn how to put a character into Killing Floor, so it served it's role. And I learnt a few new tricks about modelling too.

BTW, is there any structural difference between utx and ukx? Or are they just for making easier to recognise, which has textures and which has models in it?

Upvote 0