• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My compliments for Basovka

Vonreuter

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2006
Thanks to whoever can be thanked for creating Basovka. It's a wonderful map, and I really enjoy playing the Germans and assaulting those trenches. In fact, I can't seem to get enough of it! Luckily there are always people who enjoy camping as much as I enjoy assaulting, so the Russian side is always full, which makes the trench fighting even more vicious.

Whereas the first round on Basovka is often spoiled by early arrivals taking the AT trench before the defenders get settled into the fortifications, the second round often sees some vicious hand-to-hand fighting unseen in any other map. This is something I've never experienced in any game before, and I hope there will be more maps like this. It combines two great elements: high grass for the assaulters to advance in and heavy fortifications for the defenders. What's best, it drives people into co-operation, because Germans just cannot win without co-operation.

Even though the world is full of WWII shooters, for some reason there is a dearth of trench maps. Assaulting trenches would be the first scenario that comes to my mind when I think about Ostfront.

Even though I was at first taken by the combined arms element of K

Yep I agree ,I really enjoy the contrasting fighting techniques with this map. A good commander can make or break the way the map is fought ,a bad commander can make you cry and ask him to drop his command so you can at least attempt a arty strike lol.

I sometimes crawl on the flanks of this map and pick off advancing soldiers , rifle kills are very satisfying when you get a kill from one side of the map to the other.

Also the battle for the rail station can be super intense.

As usual when the map voting is under way there is always SOMEONE not happy about the map ,inwhich they feel compiled to tell everyone ( sigh ):)

Upvote 0
Nyu said:
meh, the new Ponyri is pretty much the same as the old one.

Basoka has a hell of a lot more cover, actually..and doesn't seem to be quite as wide. Plus the final station is only one story aside from the ruined tower, which changes tactics quite a bit.

And now you don't have the ridiclous aspect of the mortars being in FRONT of the AT-Trench. :p

Upvote 0
thanks for all the compliments...I have some sort of "hate/love" feelings with this map.
I really liked to redo the old ponyri, and to slightly change the feel of the map to match with my personal feelings. Thats why I made the map not so wide. I always felt, that the fighting was to spread on the MOD-Map.
And I really hated the optimizing.
because the map is basicly flat landscape with trenches and lots of grass. the grass was the worst thing to "optimize". In the end i am proud of my little baby:rolleyes:

Upvote 0