• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My Advanced Xpadder Config (X360 Controller Only)

Introduction/Why I Prefer Gamepads
Before anyone starts saying "omg u n00b why u use controller kbm so l33t bro", make sure you read everything I have to say and if you still feel like saying something like that, you can piss off. I've grown up playing on both consoles and PC. I've played on both equally, spending time originally with a keyboard and mouse on PC. I never went full PC gamer because I never had a really good rig. I have just as much experience with a keyboard and mouse as I have had with gamepads. Now that I am pretty much PC only, I still like to play on my TV and not be missing keys when playing games. Also due to wrist problems. playing any game on the PC requireing a mouse starts to irritate my wrists. So around this time last year I switched over to the Steam Big Picture interface and loaded up Xpadder, also disabling the Windows Explorer interface in Windows (I only use Windows for gaming, everything else I do in ArchLinux). I got myself a XBOX 360 Wireless controller adapter and pulled out the controllers from my 360. I felt right at home. Its difficult to set up at first, but then it feels great to be able to play games in bed on my TV. I am actually more effective at games with a gamepad than I am with keyboard and mouse. Unreal Tournament on Masterful or Inhuman? Yup. Left 4 Dead 2 Expert Realism? Yup. Killing Floor on HOE solo? Yup.

Killing Floor and Its Future
I noticed on Twitter today that gamepad support is indeed going to be in Killing Floor 2. Now, that could be a very good thing, or it could be a disaster waiting to happen. One problem that arose in my KF1 Xpadder config was a shortage of buttons. You'll see some of my voodoo magic that got it working farther into this post, but I want to bring up some valid points for Tripwire to be aware of for KF2. First: Sensitivity. You want to make sensitivity adjustable for players, along with acceleration control. One wonderful example of complete crap controller support would be Payday 2 and Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition. Try moving around the joystick precisely and you'll see what I mean. Its so bad in that game that I had to enable Auto Aim just to be able to hit a ****ing Alien Pig Cop that was standing 2 feet in front of me. And that brings me to another point: Aim Assist. DO NOT INCLUDE IT. If you get the sensitivity just right, you will see that it is not needed except for people who are completely dumb. Left 4 Dead 2 on the 360 had no aim assist. Was it a problem? No, because the controller sensitivity and acceleration was perfect and freely adjustable by the player. One more thing to mention, button layouts. This is also very important especially in a game like Killing Floor. You need buttons for Fire, Alt Fire, Iron Sights, Melee Weapons, Sidearms, Primary Weapons, Secondary Weapons, Special Weapons, Quick Heal, Throw Cash, Throw Weapons, Use, Scoreboard (yes I use it a lot when playing medic to see the status of everyone), Reload, and Voice Chat (Yes, No, Insult Specimen, Medic, etc). How in the hell did I get it working with KF1 on an XBOX 360 Controller? Lots of time and frustration thats how. One could say I just use the Mouse Scroll simulation from Xpadder.... no. In KF you need to be quick switching to weapons in tight situations, especially on HOE. Use a Dpad to scroll through guns or Y to cycle through them one by one is completely unacceptable and sadly seen in nearly every FPS game nowadays. Solution for KF2? Weapon Wheel and a Voice chat system that is controlled via Dpad, Unreal Tournament 3 which uses the same engine has BOTH of these. Allow the players to rebind the keys and you are golden.

Enough... How Do I Play KF1 With My XBOX 360 Controller?

1. Get the latest version of Xpadder: [url]http://www.xpadder.com/[/URL]
  2. Download my profile: [url]http://sirentorturers.site.nfoservers.com/killingfloor.xpadderprofile[/URL] (save page as killingfloor.xpadderprofile)
  3. Configure Xpadder with you XBOX 360 Controller, add in all the buttons and sticks. (If I remember correctly theres already files you can just grab for this)
  4. Set up KillingFloor.exe with an AutoRun with the profile I supplied.
  5. Now for the hard part, set up your game. You will have to rebind some in-game keys, and I'll explain why later. MAKE SURE YOU RESET YOUR CONTROLS TO DEFAULT.
  6. Set your Iron Sights to Hold and NOT toggle.
  7. Change your Throw Weapon key to 6.
  8. Set Left Control to Toggle Crouch.
  9. Console command:
    Code:
    set input p pause
  10. If server admin, console command:
    Code:
    set input W MoveForward | adminlogin username password
  11. Adjust your Mouse sensitivity in-game to your liking. Do not change the profile settings.
Controls

• Right Trigger: Fire
  • Left Trigger: Aim
  • Right Shoulder: Alt Fire
  • Left Shoulder: Melee weapons (1)
  • Dpad Down: Sidearms (2)
  • Dpad Left: Primary Weapons (3)
  • Dpad Right: Secondary Weapons (4)
  • Dpad Up: Special Weapons (5)
  • A: Jump
  • B: Quick Heal
  • X: Reload
  • Y: Use
  • Left Analog: Move
  • Right Analog: Aim* (see notes below)
  • Left Stick Button: Crouch
  • Right Stick Button: Throw Grenade
  • Back: Voice Chat **
  • Left Trigger and Back: Throw Cash
  • Left Trigger and Left Shoulder: Throw Weapon (6) *** (see notes below)
  • Left Trigger and Y: Show Scoreboard
  • Start: Show Menu (Pause solo)
  • Left Trigger and Start: Pause Server/Vote Pause ScrnBalance **** (see notes below)
Notes
*Look sensitivity is lowered during aiming to allow for precision shots while allowing quick aiming when firing from hip in those "OH SH!T!!!!" moments.
**Use the Dpad and use the numbers corresponding the the menu options. In cases where you need 6, left trigger and left shoulder, thus why I made you rebind your Throw Weapon key. Left shoulder is 1, dpad down is 2, dpad left is 3, dpad right is 4, dpad up is 5.

***Throw weapon sometimes zooms the screen in. Just switch to another gun and aim down sights quickly to fix.
****To pause server you must be logged in as admin. On ScrnBalance servers you don't have to be logged in to initiate a pause vote.

Final Notes
If you have any issues and it doesn't work the way I said it should work, let me know what your problem is and I'll update the post. This was a quickly written post so its bound to have mistakes. Also one more thing, Vsync and Reduce Mouse Lag options do indeed tamper with your aiming. So play around with it. I'll post my settings if need be, I don't remember them off the top of my head since I am posting this from ArchLinux. Enjoy playing KF1 on your TV on your couch or like me, in your bed ;) (no I am NOT being sexual, I only have a bed in my room, along with a desk chair that is falling apart and leaving crap everywhere...).

Hope you enjoy only being able to play firebad, demoo or *maybe* zerk. KF just isn't the kind of game that is compatible with a controller. I understand this thread is to 'help' people and its because its a comfort issue for you, but please, don't suggest the dumbing down of FPS games for controllers. Support for controllers in KF2 is fine, but the game should be designed around the use of a keyboard and mouse. Anything less and its bound to be a disaster. See - Sanctum 2, Bioshock Infinite, FPS games released in the past 5 years made for and designed around consoles / controllers.

Upvote 0
Hope you enjoy only being able to play firebad, demoo or *maybe* zerk. KF just isn't the kind of game that is compatible with a controller. I understand this thread is to 'help' people and its because its a comfort issue for you, but please, don't suggest the dumbing down of FPS games for controllers. Support for controllers in KF2 is fine, but the game should be designed around the use of a keyboard and mouse. Anything less and its bound to be a disaster. See - Sanctum 2, Bioshock Infinite, FPS games released in the past 5 years made for and designed around consoles / controllers.

I believe you aren't reading most of the start of "I don't care, this is for those who do want to play with a controller." I am personally a mouse/keyboard fan and refuse to use a controller on the PC as it's designed for consoles. I know a fair few who prefer the controller as it's less hassle and to them, it's easier. Everyone has their opinion and jumping at them for their opinion. "dumbing down" is not true. Controllers make the game harder in general as the game is not designed around it. That is their choice, not yours to stop people trying to help that small majority.

Upvote 0
I can play sharpshooter and medic just fine with controller thank you very much. It's just another input method is all. It's not for console kiddies they are designed for comfort and to avoid hunting for the right key in crazy moments. Gamepads are designed for gaming in general, keyboards and mice are not. They are an ancient and cheap input method. So again, let's not turn this thread into a debate because I specifically wrote in the first post to keep that **** out of this thread. The point of this thread is for people are enjoying pc gaming on their tvs or just prefer gamepads

Upvote 0
I can play sharpshooter and medic just fine with controller thank you very much.
I guess that would explain how 'just fine' you did in TSC, got it. Controller confirmed good for KF.

I believe you aren't reading most of the start of "I don't care, this is for those who do want to play with a controller." I am personally a mouse/keyboard fan and refuse to use a controller on the PC as it's designed for consoles. I know a fair few who prefer the controller as it's less hassle and to them, it's easier. Everyone has their opinion and jumping at them for their opinion. "dumbing down" is not true. Controllers make the game harder in general as the game is not designed around it. That is their choice, not yours to stop people trying to help that small majority.
I said him using a controller is just fine, however the part about it dumbing down FPS's is true, don't try and debate it. Previous posts have shown such is not your forte, as you dismiss all claims and actual evidence without evidence and have little to show to back your self up.

Support for controllers in KF2 is fine by me, I just don't want it designed for it, speaking of difficulty and 'assistance' for the lack of control a controller brings.

Upvote 0
Support for controllers in KF2 is fine by me, I just don't want it designed for it, speaking of difficulty and 'assistance' for the lack of control a controller brings.
I have to agree. KF1's inventory management works well, for the most part, with a keyboard. It could use refining, sure, but it's pretty good. To bring up KF2, I honestly hope that TWI doesn't even bother trying to work on supporting controllers and focus on refining their current system. It would be a waste of time. A controller limits the the functionality a game can have.

Upvote 0
I have to agree. KF1's inventory management works well, for the most part, with a keyboard. It could use refining, sure, but it's pretty good. To bring up KF2, I honestly hope that TWI doesn't even bother trying to work on supporting controllers and focus on refining their current system. It would be a waste of time. A controller limits the the functionality a game can have.
Bull ****... controllers do not limit functionality unless you have a billion key bindings. My config has the same inventory management as a keyboard. And if done right, controllers can have much better functionality, like in the case of ut3. Switching weapons in ut3 is easier with gamepad than it is with a keyboard and or mouse scroll. Tripwire needs to do a good job on the controller support, especially since it will be a steam os title boasting controller support.

1. And @arblarg, I was actually on a temporary computer during that month with a keyboard and mouse since my video card died. I was not able to play with a controller all summer since the comp I was using was running Linux mint, which does not have xpadder. Ask poosh, i was *****ing about it in all the practices along with frame rate isuues. And I don't give a rat's *** about the tsc. I mainly only entered us to reunite our clan as we were kind of dying off at the time. We weren't playing to look good, we were just having fun... Except for Ryan disconnecting every 5 minutes and two of our main guys bailing last second...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bull ****... controllers do not limit functionality unless you have a billion key bindings. My config has the same inventory management as a keyboard. And if done right, controllers can have much better functionality, like in the case of ut3. Switching weapons in ut3 is easier with gamepad than it is with a keyboard and or mouse scroll. Tripwire needs to do a good job on the controller support, especially since it will be a steam os title boasting controller support.
I found your first problem, using more than one weapon in UT3. Secondly, controller users in FPS's (consoles vs pc in the same game) have traditionally always lost, due to the loss of their precious auto aim in a proper FPS control environment where actual aiming is required. I wont argue that TWI needs to have good controller support for KF2 if they have it, but it needs to not be the main design fulcrum as it regards gameplay and difficulty.

1. And @arblarg, I was actually on a temporary computer during that month with a keyboard and mouse since my video card died. I was not able to play with a controller all summer since the comp I was using was running Linux mint, which does not have xpadder. Ask poosh, i was *****ing about it in all the practices along with frame rate isuues. And I don't give a rat's *** about the tsc. I mainly only entered us to reunite our clan as we were kind of dying off at the time. We weren't playing to look good, we were just having fun... Except for Ryan disconnecting every 5 minutes and two of our main guys bailing last second...
Its ok, that controller wouldn't have saved you anyway.

Upvote 0
I can play sharpshooter and medic just fine with controller thank you very much.
Xbow on hard mountainpass might work. I doubt you would be able to play like one of those EBR artists.

Bull ****... controllers do not limit functionality unless you have a billion key bindings.
Call me a freak but my keyboard is full.

Upvote 0
Xbow on hard mountainpass might work. I doubt you would be able to play like one of those EBR artists.

Call me a freak but my keyboard is full.
Yeah I used to be like that too. Lots of random one liners on every key. But I can use ebr just fine with controller. I was never the best sharpshooter even with kbm, I just don't have the patience and I have an itchy virtual trigger finger. I'll post a video soon just to prove to you all that it is just as effective as a kbm if configured right.

Upvote 0
I'll have to give this a try, to prepare for KF2 and its inherent gamepad support. ;)

I mean, in Borderlands 2 I had way better sniping accuracy than all my friends, me using a 360 controller and them all doing kbm, so Killing Floor shouldn't be much different... Especially Killing Floor 1, most of the zeds aren't nearly as mobile or twitchy as half the enemies in Borderlands 2.

Upvote 0
Nice little config. Good for you. I'm a strange one when it comes to controllers. Predominately, I'm a PC gamer. But, there are some games on PC which are so obviously designed for controllers in mind, such as Driving, Fighting, y'know, arcade games. I'm one of these weirdos who feels comfortable playing any Third Person Shooter with a gamepad. It just feels more natural. I mainly play FPS with mouse/keyboard because, well, it feels more natural to me. Each to their own. Good job. :)

Upvote 0
@Broski270

I use myself Joy2Key for Pinball FX 2, it is a nice program that translates keyboard keys to gamepad buttons (for programs and games who do not support gamepad support at all aswell), since your playing with gamepad often i though i mention it :)
I used to use joy2key. I find xpadder to be much more user friendly plus it has autoprofiling

Upvote 0
I dare to say, that everyone has the right to play in that style, that either or both, makes fun and/or makes you win. I am a Keyboard+Mouse elitist and wouldn't mind someone playing with controller (hell be it even the wii-remote) as long as the player is progressive.

"omg u n00b why u use controller kbm so l33t bro"

:rolleyes:
I like all teasers of such kinds.

Upvote 0