• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Muzzle flashes: realistic or not?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arto1990

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2006
Now i am not a gun pro (no firearm allowance in England) but from watching firearm videos on you tube and the like you never see big muzzle flashes like in ro ostfront or other games.

Here is a couple of good examples.

PPSH

YouTube - ppsh41

MP-40

YouTube - mp40

Do you think it would be a good idea if muzzle flashes were more like puffs of smoke then massive flashes in the full realism mode?.:IS2:

Too much muzzleflash I say:
highres_screenshot_00079.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, don't trust video to spot muzzle flashes. They often fall between exposures, when the electronic shutter is closed, so they're under represented in film and video.

Yet you are limited to 60 fps often in video games. Aka the shortest a flash could be made in case of someone that can actually run at 60 fps is 1/60th of a second while it might be over much quicker normally.

I think that actually representations on video (especially when filmed with say 60fps) would probably give the closest representation of how it should be in game. As you essentially have a something similar to a shutter speed.

Sure there is a muzzle flash and if you record with a super speed camera you can see it even in day light. But the actual flash would be over much quicker than in the game.

-------------

I hope that in day light conditions the flashes will be hard to notice while in night time situations the illumination created by the flashes make it a tad easier to spot someone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.