• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Release [Mutator] WhoGoesThere

Ducky

Super Moderator
May 22, 2011
Netherlands
WhoGoesThere Beta 3 (rev. 14)

I've created a mutator that adds some extra peripheral indicator settings to the web-admin interface.

Settings:

Web-admin:

Settings1.jpg

Settings2.jpg

In-game steam workshop:

SWS-Settings.jpg

• Grayscale percentage (in %)
    Allows tweaking the gray scale of the indicator. A darker indicator is less visible.
  • Peripheral indicators (enabled/disabled)
    Allows you to enable/disable the peripheral indicators while still in-game (no need to restart map or server).
  • Random spot percentage (in %)
    Gives a more random behavior to the peripheral indicators. If set at 100%, then the peripheral indicators will work as the stock RO2 code. If set to any value less than 100%, then the percentage is the change for each single players peripheral indicator to become visible or not. If for instance 50% is used, and an enemy player does match stock RO2 criteria to show the peripheral indicator for that player, then it will only show if the result of a 100 sided dice gives a number below or equal to 50. If above 50, then the peripheral indicator on that player will not be shown.
  • Show friendlies (on/off)
    If on, then peripheral indicators will also be shown for friendly players.
  • Size percentage (in %) (currently not yet working)
    Allows to reduce the relative size of the peripheral indicators. It will make them harder to spot.
  • Transparency percentage (in %)
    Allows to make the peripheral indicators more transparent. It will make them harder to spot.
  • Blind spot angle max and Blind spot angle min (> 0.5 < 20.0)
    The angle window in which the enemy must be to show the peripheral indicator. The tighter the angle window, the less easy the indicators will show up.
  • Max range (in meters > 0 < 300)
    The maximum distance between a player and an enemy player for indicators to become visible. If an enemy is further away, then the indicator will not become visible.
  • Max range prone (in meters > 0 < 100)
    The maximum distance between a player and a prone enemy player for indicators to become visible. If a prone enemy is further away, then the indicator will not become visible.
  • Max range static (in meters > 0 < 50)
    The maximum distance between a player and a static (non-moving) enemy player for indicators to become visible. If a static enemy is further away, then the indicator will not become visible.

Download:

Server side:
The server side mutator can be downloaded at:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54368035/Mutators/WhoGoesThere/WhoGoesThere_B3-Rev14.zip

Client side:
Although not required, the mutator can be downloaded from the steam workshop.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=108891581&searchtext=

Installation:

Server side:

1. Download the server side zip file.
  2. Unpack the zip file.
  3. The WhoGoesThere.u file in the CookedPCServer folder goes into the same folder on your server.
  4. All files in the Config folder go into the same folder on your server.
  5. The WhoGoesThere.int file in the Localization\INT folder should go in the same folder on your server.

Activation (server side only):

The mutator can simply be activated and deactivated as any other mutator (also in the Change Map screen of the web-admin).
It can also be activated from the command line. In that case you will need to add the next command to the command line:
?mutator=WhoGoesThere.WhoGoesThere

Note for ColoredChat users:
This mutator hooks in the HUD. The ColoredChat mutator does that too, but it is un-aware of the WhoGoesThere mutator. However the WhoGoesThere mutator is aware of the ColoredChat mutator and can work side by side with that one, but only if the WhoGoesThere mutator is loaded after the ColoredChat mutator. You can accomplish this by placing the WhoGoesThere mutator after the ColoredChat mutator on your command line. The command line should then use:
?mutator=ColoredChat.ColoredChat,WhoGoesThere.WhoGoesThere

Last edited:
The stock RO2 defaults are indeed 300 for max range, 100 for max range prone and 50 for max range static.

There is no way to differentiate between prone static and prone moving. The stock RO2 peripheral indicator widget only exposes those 3 range settings and the 2 angle settings. All code that those settings is located in the native C++ code and not accessible by a mutator.

Upvote 0
That feels like cheating. The edges of my eyes don't know if the movement that they detect is caused by a friendly or by an enemy :p

But a big part of the peripheral blips represent things that are in your normal FoV IRL, right? I would imagine it might be interesting that blips closer than, for example, 10 meters would differentiate between friendlies and charlies. That would also cut down on the immense paranoia that must occur by playing with friendly blips on :D But don't get me wrong, I absolutely wanna play with friendly blips on, different color or not :)

Upvote 0
But a big part of the peripheral blips represent things that are in your normal FoV IRL, right? I would imagine it might be interesting that blips closer than, for example, 10 meters would differentiate between friendlies and charlies. That would also cut down on the immense paranoia that must occur by playing with friendly blips on :D But don't get me wrong, I absolutely wanna play with friendly blips on, different color or not :)

I don't do any range checking in the mutator itself. All that is done in the stock native RO2 code. If I need to add such a thing, then it will mean that I have to calculate each 0.25 msec (that is the update interval in the stock RO2 PI widget) the distance between me and the other guy and that for all 31 players (only friendlies minus myself on a full 64 player server). I doubt slow clients will like that.

I'm making a steam workshop version now of this mutator. It will allow you to try it out as a stand alone.

I highly approve of this mutator. Thanks Ducky!

Thanks too and, your welcome!

Upvote 0
It was submitted for white-listing but TWI asked for a few changes. It will be submitted again after I made those changes.

That's a shame... As long as a mutator/mod isn't hacking the stats (or did you do it? :D j.k.) white-listing should be automatic. Any other criteria can be judged by the community. If a server admin makes its server bad, then they won't get people, thats as simple as that.

Back in the days, I made a TimeScaler mutator, you remember, when everyone was complaining about Lockdown? Among other things (no stats-hack though :p), that mutator could have removed the Lockdown (everybody was crying for it).

But they refused to white-list the mutator because it could affect the balance if admins used extreme config settings (why would they do that geez, actually, i don't care if they think they have a good reason to do so). I would have had to make a lot of changes to it. I lost motivation and never made them. The mut 'could' indeed affect the balance, but if an admin does that, it's his problem IMO, and players will judge the server for that.

Similar story, with the RiflesOnly mutator by garybourbier. Apparently, too many RO1 players complained about the difficulty to find a non-modded server (seriously?). That mut was modifying the experience too much. It was refused white-listing for that reason (wth, go through the RO2 server list, and 90% of the servers are exactly the same now [ok, classic, action and realism, but still similar], much better heh).

Anyway, all that to say that I don't like the white-listing process, it's slow, you don't get a lot of feedback, your requests are forgotten, but most of all, I don't like the white-listing rules. [/complaint]

Good luck going through it again, I hope you keep the motivation hehe

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's a shame... As long as a mutator/mod isn't hacking the stats (or did you do it? :D j.k.) white-listing should be automatic. Any other criteria can be judged by the community. If a server admin makes its server bad, then they won't get people, thats as simple as that.
--SNIP--

They didn't like it that no PI did show up from player Ducky and that player Ducky could see PI's for anyone else with distance indicator on them and a big arrow pointing out to Ducky where to aim. (that was also a j.k. :p).

The rework that they asked for was not related to the features of the mutator, but more to the replication model. I still need to do this one, but a bit busy with other projects.

Upvote 0