• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Mutator] Total Game Balance + Gunslinger Perk (ScrN Balance)

poosh

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2011

[ScrN] Total Game Balance + Gunslinger Perk
Version 9
ScrNBalanceLogo256.jpg

ButtonDonate.png

ButtonDownload.png

ButtonSteamGroup.png

The latest version is v9.51 ( ChangeLog )
Release Notes

Overview

Mutator allows to balance and enhance vanilla game in the following directions:
  1. PERK LEVEL BALANCE. Automatically lowers perks, which are too high for current difficulty and raises perks, that are too low. So you can split visual and bonus parts of the perks.
  2. SPAWN BALANCE. Adjusts weapon prices and spawn inventory to make it approximately even across the perks. Allows to configure spawn inventory for each perk/level and customize buy/sell prices for every weapon in the game!
  3. WEAPON BALANCE. Slightly adjusts weapon parameters, trying to make each of them useful in some circumstances. Also removes annoying issues and exploits.
    • Green Laser Sights for M14EBR
    • Alt. Fire for Husk Cannon: Napalm Launcher
    • Hunting Shotgun`s single shell reload + 3 exploits fixed
    • Balanced IJC weapons added to the official game in 1035 patch and in DLCs.
    • New weapons: M79 Incendiary, M79M Medic Grenade Launcher and M4-203M Medic Rifle.
    • and much more...
  4. GUNSLINGER PERK. A new perk designed to use pistols, esp. dual versions.
    • Total pistol rebalance: now every pistol (single or dual) has own niche.
    • Both head and body damage bonus with pistols.
    • "Cowboy mode" - extra speed, fire rate and reload bonus when holding dual pistols without an armor.
    • New weapons: Dual 44 Magums and MK23s with Laser Sights.
  5. COMBAT MEDIC PERK. Less heal, more kill.
    • Damage bonus with medic weapons.
    • No healing bonuses.
    • Faster swing with light melee weapons (Katana, Machete, Knife).
    • Up to 6 Zed Time extensions.
    • Moves at full speed in Zed Time.
  6. Server-side ACHIEVEMENTS. More than 400 custom achievements for surviving maps in different game modes, plus achievements for performing special tasks, techniques and granting teamwork.
  7. 7+ PLAYER GAMES. Dynamic level cap feature adjust max perk level to match player count. Adjusted wave sizes, zed squad spawn rate, additional perk bonuses above level 6 etc. to make 7+ player games balanced, challenging and fun.
  8. CUSTOM WEAPON SUPPORT. Now server admins can apply perk bonuses on custom weapons in config file! No more need to override perk or/and weapon code! Details here.
  9. ALTERNATE BURNING MECHNISM. fixes bugs and issues listed here, including "Crawler infinite burn" bug. Allows continuous burning zeds.
  10. A lot of other popular features: Manual Reload, Forced Max Players, Faked Players, Show Damage, Show Speed etc.
    Each feature can be turned on or off independently. So you can use only those features you like.

Last edited:
did you think about using the other dualie perk? there was one out there and i forget who made it.

looks good tho, some nice changes. maybe i'll get around to doing legitimate testing later :D
I know who you're on about as he made the red and gold icon for it. I feel bad as I spent days and hours helpping him with code and i've forgotten his name :eek: I use a customised version of his.

Upvote 0
Just wanna add some more notes:

The M14 laser isn't just constantly green, it has three modes you cycle between:
1) Lasersight off
2) Lasersight on, red colour
3) Lasersight on, green colour

And another AWESOME thing Poosh did with this weapon was that when you change from the M14 to another weapon/tool, then go back to the M14 again, the mode of the laser (off/red/green) is STILL THE SAME AS IT WAS SET TO BEFORE! I think that was a great QoL upgrade to it, as it is quite annoying everytime you do something as simple as heal yourself that the laser all of a sudden is turned off.

A question/request too to you:
The Berserker, is it possible to change the spawn weapons a little more?
For example:
Berserker level 5 = Fire Axe (150 value)
Berserker level 6 = Some other options:
1) Katana (1000 value, with discount, 300 like all other perks' weapon values) or
2) Fire Axe + Machete (250 value)
3) Chainsaw (1000 value again, with discount, 300 like all other perks' weapon values)

With option 1 and 2, then maybe buff the Chainsaw to a real beast? Like: Full runspeed bonus, 25-30 damage for primary fire, altfire to have a 1.25x headshotmultiplier, and then finally: To increase its cost to anywhere around... 1500 to 2000 dosh (but keep it at 1000 if it doesn't get the runspeed bonus)
I mean, it would at least be nice to TEST it like that :)

Upvote 0
I know who you're on about as he made the red and gold icon for it. I feel bad as I spent days and hours helpping him with code and i've forgotten his name :eek: I use a customised version of his.

RuneHaley and the perk was DualWielder-Meant as a testing bed for a future gunslinger. A middle ground as it were. I'd imagine poosh's isn't to far removed functionality wise.

@poosh Thank's for the shout out. Glad my tutorials and posts were of some use to you.

Upvote 0
A question/request too to you:
The Berserker, is it possible to change the spawn weapons a little more?
For example:
Berserker level 5 = Fire Axe (150 value)
Berserker level 6 = Some other options:
1) Katana (1000 value, with discount, 300 like all other perks' weapon values) or
2) Fire Axe + Machete (250 value)
3) Chainsaw (1000 value again, with discount, 300 like all other perks' weapon values)

Berserker level 5 already spawns with Axe (if Spawn Balance is turned on in the mutator config).

About level 6:
1) Katana seems reasonable and I could agree with it. But I'm afraid Zerkers will suicide-exploit to supply teammates with Katanas. Every Support and Commando in the team with classic load-out has 3 free weight blocks to hold the Katana. And it will be the best perk to start wave 1 with: same money value as other perks, but much easier to farm kills at wave 1 and no need to spent ammo. But now you need to choose between easy kills at wave 1 or more valuable initial inventory. But it you think it isn't a big deal, I can give level 6 zerker a Katana it without a problem.

2) Why do you need a Machete when you already have an Axe? Seems illogical to me.

3) Giving the Chainsaw instead of Axe will make level 6 weaker than level 5 in the terms of initial weapons. Making a Chainsaw better... well, I thought about it: consuming fuel, more damage, Scrake frontal stun ability... but tbh I don't have time to do it now. Maybe later.

Upvote 0
Rune Harle, yes - his perk worked fine too, and was pretty similar. when i read this first, i figured poosh had just incorporated it, but apparantly he coded his own :)

Hm, never heard about that perk. Anyway I respect authors' rights and always reference to the original source, it I took a part of the code from it. But about Gunslinger - the only thing I've taken is the name of the perk itself. All the ideas and code came from myself.

Upvote 0
I thought zerks couldnt move at 30% while holding the syringe? I mean, whenever I chase someone down to heal them, I run fast, and as soon as I switch to syringe, I go slow again.

First, zerk doesn't move at 30% speed, but 30% slower, i.e. at 70% speed. It is enough to outrun from HoE Clots and slower zeds, but you can't evade Gorefasts, Stalkers and Crawlers while healing.

Second, healing is a Medic's job, not zerk's. Because in vanilla kiting game it is better to run as zerk with medic gun instead of medic due to medic gun dropping exploit, Clot grabs and Siren resistance.

Upvote 0
I just thought i'd put my view on your work Poosh and say you've done such a great job here mate. It's nice to see your contribution to this community and now I have finally seen this side of you as I didn't think you was the modder type but i've seen the odd moment you trying to help.

Great work and I can see great views for this. Is this decompilable? I only want to know how you fixed the flamethrower forcing to 4th slot as I tried this with someone else and we had it constantly going back to slot 3 over a network but solo worked perfectly. There is other fixs I would also like to implement into my ServerPerks with permission obviously.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just thought i'd put my view on your work Poosh and say you've done such a great job here mate. It's nice to see your contribution to this community and now I have finally seen this side of you as I didn't think you was the modder type but i've seen the odd moment you trying to help.

Great work and I can see great views for this. Is this decompilable? I only want to know how you fixed the flamethrower forcing to 4th slot as I tried this with someone else and we had it constantly going back to slot 3 over a network but solo worked perfectly. There is other fixs I would also like to implement into my ServerPerks with permission obviously.

Thank you. Yes, this mod is decompilable, but you can also download the original source code from here. You're welcome to use any parts of mine code, but it would be nice if you'd reference the original author (i.e. me ;)) in your mutator.

About the flamer... nah, I didn't completely fixed it. It works only in stand-alone games (solo, listen server), but have replication issues with clients. So I comment it out before the release, so flamer still is in slot 3. Forgot to point it in release notes, sorry.
If you want to change it for sure, I think you need to make a subclass of FlameThrower and set InventoryGroup in default properties:
Code:
class MyFlameThrower extends FlameThrower;

defaultproperties
{
     InventoryGroup=4
}
But in such case you will be supposed to replace pickups, make changes in the firebug perk to add bonuses to your flamer etc. that I effin hate in KF modding! For example, I was supposed to override 14 classes just to add alternate fire to the Husk Cannon.

Upvote 0
The different-colored M14 lasers are a great idea. Do you have any plans to release them in a non-mutator fashion, similar to the RE4 Trader or MW3 weapon replacements?
Aze already suggested me to release stand-alone version of M14 and submit it to whitelisting. I'll think about it later, but now I have other stuff to do.
Beside that, ScrnBalance is a very flexible mutator: almost every feature can be turn on and off. So if you're using ServerPerks mutator, but don't want to use others features of ScrnBalance, just add the following line to the ServerPerks.ini without adding ScrnBalance to the mutators list:
Code:
TraderInventory=3:ScrnBalance.ScrnM14EBRPickup

@Flux
I finally mover that F* flamer in the slot 4 on client side to. Check the following code fragment of my human pawn class. It allows to move weapons on-the-fly, for example, you can put weapon in slot 4 if it is perked, or in slot 3, if it has been using off the perk.
Spoiler!

@others
New version is out. Check it out and enjoy ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks poosh for various fixes

Can you please add fix for Berserker perk? its resistant to damage all/bloat bile is not working above level 6

Actually the general purpose of my mutator is to balance the vanilla game, so I'm not planning to support perks above level 6. But in this case I made an exception: brackets were misplaced in formula, so it took only a couple of seconds to fix it.

Upvote 0
Hey Poosh, just first some minor idea for improvement (and then some further slgithly bigger ideas :p):

How about moving Dual 44 Magnum to slot 2 at all times, rather than slot 3? The reason for this is because if you carry Dual (or single) Magnum + Dual Handcannons, you can:
* Swap immediately to the Dual Handcannons by pressing 3
* Swap immediately to the 9mm by pressing F (the flashlight button)
* Swap immediately to the Magnum(s) by pressing 2

That way, it's faster to swap to the Magnums (rather than pressing 3 twice)

Ok that was the minor idea. Now for the bigger ones:
I was thinking that you have balanced the pistols, ammo and weight with the Gunslinger quite nicely, but it can still be changed (mostly, to keep it at 15 weight like most other perks). Here is what i propose:

* Remove the Gunslingers ammo bonus (replace with ZED time extensions? I mean, that is SOOOO badass with pistols!)
* Single 9mm - Ammo 210 or 240, Weight 0
* Dual 9mm - Ammo 420 or 480, Weight 3
* Single 44 Magnum - Ammo 108, Weight 3
* Dual 44 Magnum - Ammo 216, Weight 6
* Single Handcannon - Ammo 96, Weight 4
* Dual Handcannon - Ammo 168, weight 7 (notice: No double ammo, just 7/4's of the single one, to make the ammo even with its weights and all :))

Also, if you were able to get the MK23 into this perk as well, I'd suggest that the MK23 has the lasersight instead of the Magnum (but the MK23 should ALWAYS have the lasersight available, not made in 2 different versions like you did with the Magnum. That would make the MK23 feel different from the other pistols).

I'd also suggest some other rebalances:
Magnum - 90 damage (down from 105), 2 penetrations (down from 4), price at 500 dosh each or so (makes it equal worth to other perks level 6 spawn!) Ammo cost a LITTLE bit cheaper than now (the ammo is really expensive).
MK23 - 59-ish damage, ZERO penetrations (down from 1), price at 625 dosh each, always has a lasersight on altfire. Weight 3 for single, 6 for dual. Ammo 132 for single, 264 for dual. (With lasersight and no penetration, the MK23 fills the role as the "accurate" pistols)
Handcannon - 750 dosh each. It needs to be a bit more expensive, considering its amazing power and penetration.

With all these suggestions, you still also keep one thing in mind that you made: If you have dualwielded pistols, you can max have 2 dualwielded pistol pairs (for example Dual Magnums and Dual HCs). However, (as a little bonus) if you dualwield the 9mm as well as the Dual Magnum (or MK23s), you still have spare room for a SINGLE pistol or similar (5 spare weight).

Hope any of this was of any use :)

Upvote 0