• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Release [Mutator] Slot Machines mod

Marco

Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2009
Finland
Mod name
HUD Slot Machines mod​

Version
1.0​

Description
This is a returning mod from Killing Floor 1, it awards you with random cards as you kill enemy zeds. The amount of zeds you need to kill for each card is server configurable, but by default 4 zeds.
In order to receive the "price", you have to get 3 of the same cards.

The effects vary from something good, something bad or something neutral.

If you are a programmer, you can add new effects by extending SlotMachinesMut (or if you are lazy you can directly edit SlotMachinesMut). But the ones I've included are:
Effect name - Odds of receiving - Effect description
  • Adrenaline - 80 - Gives you a speed and health boost of 500 HP for a good 60 seconds.
  • Dosh share - 28 - Takes all your dosh and shares it with your entire squad evenly.
  • Ammo regeneration - 100 - Refills all your ammo (not your grenades).
  • Dosh jackpot - 25 - Gives you randomly 0-5000

Reactions: Sean0402
Works great, thanks for making this. There's a couple of things i'd love to see added though to further improve this..

1. Have two methods of triggering the cards. The way it is now (zed kills), and an alternative text-activated way, so for example typing !spin would spin 3 cards, then have a cooldown of about one minute or until any existing effects wear off. I think a lot of people would prefer having the choice whether and when they want to use it. I think only one method should be usable at once though, defined in the .ini by the user with something like TextActivatedSpins=True/False

2. Have peoples results broadcast in chat, so if somebody gets Adrenaline, it would say something like "Player123 has got Adrenaline for the next X seconds." That way other people know they're not using mad hax when they see them moving at 500mph.

Upvote 0
Great fun seeing it on sheeps RPG server. Here's an idea that I had when playing:

Right now when you have 2 different cards you know the third one will fail, no matter what it is. There is no tension. And when you have the same two cards you know what will happen when you get the third one.

What if each slot had a certain role in the outcome... for instance:

Slot1: Intensity (weak, strong)
Slot2: Intensity (weak, strong)
Slot3: good, neutral, bad or no effect

Weak and strong could have internal values like: weak = 0; strong = 1

Possible combinations:
weak weak -> low effect
weak strong -> normal effect
strong weak -> normal effect
strong strong -> high effect

Depending on low, normal or high result the effect (on third card) will be weaker, normal, or stronger.

You don't know what you get until the third card appears. And then you're either happy or screwed.

Some examples for intensity factor use:
strong - strong - scrake card => 4 scrakes spawn
strong - weak - scrake card => 3 scrakes spawn
weak - weak - scrake card => 2 scrakes spawn

strong - strong - star => super plumber for 35 seconds
strong - weak - star => super plumber for 30 seconds
weak - weak - star => super plumber for 20 seconds

strong - strong - ammo => full ammo + 2 grenades
strong - weak - ammo => full ammo
weak - weak - ammo => ~70% ammo

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I absolutely love this mutator! I had at least 3 experiences that really stood out for me:

1. First time I discovered it could spawn sirens. Died very confused on wave 3.
  2. When it spawned 3 scrakes on wave 2, instantly killing my buddy, leaving me to fight them off with a Bullpup. This actually worked since I magically got Invulnerability for 60 seconds just in time.
  3. Fighting Hans solo: it not only dropped 3 sirens on me, it then got me drunk too. Drunk commandos no aim so good. Still won though :)

Upvote 0
i'm currently working on modifying this mutator. it's a lot of fun but needs some tweaks for my server, so i'm going to release it here just in case someone else wants it too.

the main thing i'm going to change is reducing the package size so that servers without redirect service can host this mod. this means removing a lot of textures and the grim reaper :(. i'll try to keep the sound effects, however

also i have added another mode similar to RTD where the player can say !spin to spend a certain dosh amount to spin the slots. the old mode is still there and is toggleable in the config. the dosh amount is also alterable, default is $100

other stuff i've changed:
- used more in-game textures rather than external ones to save space
- added a couple of cards since i took out the grim reaper (maybe more if i have time)
- messages now display to everyone that say what a person has won on the slots
- messages can render to screen and/or be broadcasted to chat (this is toggleable in the config if it gets too spammy)
- some other stuff, i forget

i'll post again with a download when i'm finished with it. by the way, thank you Marco. this is very nicely coded and has let me add/change stuff easily :)

Upvote 0