• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Release [Mutator] RO1ChatterMut

I've moved this mutator out of the beta stage and made it a final release. The mutator did not pass TWI's white-list procedure. This means that any server running this mutator will become unranked (as long as the mutator is active).

Given reason: "We felt that it was too big of a departure from that core gameplay, which is why we decided not to white list it".

I laughed.
This looks like BF3 Devs that don't want BF3 to be modded because of "the game's 'identity' they want to preserve". :rolleyes:
Good job Ducky though.
And, nice job TWI, hei.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. It's especially sad if you know that default the mutator still uses the RO2 sound cues. A player will only get the RO1 sound cues if he has downloaded the client-side mutator package from the steam workshop. And then still he can simply switch back to the original RO2 sound cues by a simple console command or by using the mutators configuration screen on the workshops mutator configuration page.

I would say that this mutator would be a nice example on how the workshop can be used in a useful way when it comes to mutators. But of coarse I'm a noob and don't know anything about this stuff.

Upvote 0
What I don't understand is why Tripwire cares what admins have on THEIR server which THEY pay for. The ranked/unraked thing is ridiculous in my opinion. It's punishing server owners for advancing this game with new content. They are also implementing things that the community is constantly asking for and you punish them. Saying that this messes up what you as TW wanted the game to be is extremely arrogant. This isn't a work of art, it's a game.

One of my favorite games is DoD. Hop on a server and there are all sorts of crazy mods and maps. It's up to the server admins to use what they want and they're not punished for it. Do you think maybe this community is dying because they are sick of playing the same thing? On the other hand, you have people who still play DoD because there's always something new.

I have been playing RO since it was an Unreal mod with a tiny community. I am saddened to see how this company has evolved.

Upvote 0
RiflesOnly, TimeScaler, RO1Chatter... The black list is growing.

I'll have to rethink whether or not I will work on new mods/muts. I'm not very enthusiastic with the idea that I could put 100+ hours on new projects, just like you did, and see it end up on the black list :/.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I'll have to rethink whether or not I will work on new mods/muts. I'm not very enthusiastic with the idea that I could put 100+ hours on new projects, just like you did, and see it end up on the black list :/.

Same feeling here. It's very demotivating to start a new mutator project.

Upvote 0
I'm not quite certain how "chatter" alters gameplay?

Even if it did, as long as it doesn't allow players to earn stats faster, I don't see the point in black-listing mutators that alter the gameplay. We all know that black-listing a mutator/mod = killing a mutator/mod. Why not including a panel in-game, that describes the mods/muts used by servers and the settings? If TWI is concerned about players getting on some server and thinking that it's the original game, that would solve that issue. IMO, the ONLY condition for white-listing, should be that it doesn't hack stats or provide means to rank-up very fast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Even if it did, as long as it doesn't allow players to earn stats faster, I don't see the point in black-listing mutators that alter the gameplay. We all know that black-listing a mutator/mod = killing a mutator/mod. Why not including a panel in-game, that describes the mods/muts used by servers and the settings? If TWI is concerned about players getting on some server and thinking that it's the original game, that would solve that issue. IMO, the ONLY condition for white-listing, should be that it doesn't hack stats or provide means to rank-up very fast.

I fully agree with that, though I can understand that TWI want to guard RO2's intigrety. But they also will need to understand that they do limit the mut/mod's for RO2. Not white-listed = Unranked server = Not used mutator.

In case of the RO1 chatter mutator: TWI believes that it will/can give a new player the wrong impression about RO2 when it joins a server that runs this mutator and he will hear ...............(let me think what he will hear)......... he will hear the RO2 battle chatter sound cues, because the new player did probably not yet subscribe to the client side RO1 chatter mod on the steam workshop.

Upvote 0
In case of the RO1 chatter mutator: TWI believes that it will/can give a new player the wrong impression about RO2 when it joins a server that runs this mutator and he will hear ...............(let me think what he will hear)......... he will hear the RO2 battle chatter sound cues, because the new player did probably not yet subscribe to the client side RO1 chatter mod on the steam workshop.

It's not the first time that I hear about this concern, but instead of banning mutators, they should provide a way for us to notify clearly the player about the changes that affect the server.

Upvote 0

I feel for you guys! I can't say I have any idea how to create the things you guys do but I can understand the amount of hours you put into it. I guess the thing that frustrates me the most is the fact that only you, the modders are fixing anything and handling requests from the community. You and you alone are fixing the issues with the game. It makes me question whether or not TW even plays RO anymore. How can you honestly play RO and think that your player screaming and yelling at the worst possible time ever is a good idea?

Upvote 0
Well, it wouldn't be fair to say that TWI is doing nothing though, they *do* work on bug fixes and they answer to requests from modders. You can see on the Level Design forum, that they are about to release a patch.

The problem here, is the conditions for white-listing. Instead of the implicit and restrictive rule:

The mutator must not affect the gameplay in a way that the user cannot understand that it is not acting like the stock game.

There could be this rule:

The mutator must provide clear indications of the modifications it makes to the server.

A way to apply this rule, could be to have a second "Server Welcome Screen". The content of that second welcome screen would be used to display the server-specific changes, mutators, etc, and each mutator could provide a text explaining the effect, in a short explanation. Then the user clicks 'I understand'. There could even be visual cues, indicating how deep the changes are, and TWI would provide a rating that the modder has to display on that page, RED for a mutator that changes a lot, Yellow for medium, and green light modifications.

Players should be aware of the mutators the server are using, and the settings of those, and the server settings too. I'm sure the players would appreciate that kind of details. Many have asked for it on these forums. Anyway, it's just a quick idea, I'm brainstorming here, but the point is, that I'm sure it is possible to find a solution to this issue, and I hope TWI will provide one, instead of simply black-listing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
--SNIP--
The mutator must not affect the gameplay in a way that the user cannot understand that it is not acting like the stock game.
--SNIP--

Yip, and it's a rule that can not lived by. Mutators do in one way or the other always affect the gameplay. If the user can or can not understand the gameplay is relative. One user can understand while the other can't. If this rule would be strictly used, then none of the mutators that we do have today would pass the white-listing. TankTweak for instance did drastically change the behavior of the tank AI. Even ColoredChat should not pass, because the user might start to wonder if there is something wrong with his game because suddenly the chats became colored.

This:
The mutator must provide clear indications of the modifications it makes to the server.
Would indeed be a much better rule. And it can be verified and measured. The first rule simply can't.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how they can be calling voice acting part of the "core gameplay". If this was a roleplaying game I could understand the reasoning behind it but this isn't. I thought this was a customizable mutator for the player so if he wanted to play on a server running the ro1mutator he could turn it off and here the stock voices? If I am right then it's kinda "bull" in my opinion that this wasn't white listed. If a customer wants to here different sounds why not let them?

The sounds in ro2 were a disappointment for me so I'm really sad to see this not whitelisted. By the way ducky you are an ro2 mut. master so keep up the good work. Nice to see you working on these kinds of things that we as the community so enjoy having. Thanks!

I think one main reason behind them keeping ranked and unranked servers intact is for this very reason. They want to control everything down to a "t" to what gets into the game. I just reread some posts I missed, and now I'm mad. I think server admins should should protest the system so we can encourage you game modders. Maybe you guys should make it so that if your custom maps/mutators are added to a server it unranks it that way if someone wants anything custom they will have to look in the unranked section? It'll get more attraction that way! If you could get all of the main server admins on board maybe twi would rethink this system?

I laughed.
This looks like BF3 Devs that don't want BF3 to be modded because of "the game's 'identity' they want to preserve". :rolleyes:
Good job Ducky though.
And, nice job TWI, hei.

I thought the same thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ducky, is there a chance that this mutator (+ the weapon sound pack) will get white-listed any time soon? (ShutUp-Mutator and this are "equally changing" the stock-game imho).
Would be *really* great if you try to talk with TW about it again (maybe you've already started to do that) or you could tell us something about the current state of the mutator.
Personally I'd love to see this mutator white-listed.. more than any bug-fixing etc.

Thanks in advance man :eek:

Upvote 0
Well I had contact about this with TWI. They have pointed out the issues and we both believe they can be solved in order to get this mutator white-listed. Unfortunately does the TWIL and ExploitAgent mutator keep me busy and due to that the RO1ChatterMut has gone temporary on ice, until those other two mutators are send in for white-listing. I hope that will be soon. After that I will make the changes to this RO1ChatterMut and also the WhoeGoesThere mutator.

Upvote 0
Well I had contact about this with TWI. They have pointed out the issues and we both believe they can be solved in order to get this mutator white-listed. Unfortunately does the TWIL and ExploitAgent mutator keep me busy and due to that the RO1ChatterMut has gone temporary on ice, until those other two mutators are send in for white-listing. I hope that will be soon. After that I will make the changes to this RO1ChatterMut and also the WhoeGoesThere mutator.

Can you specify the changes or is that hush hush? I don't know what exactly you could change from the sound mutators other than the... sounds... :confused:

Upvote 0