• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Release [Mutator] ReservedSlots (white-listed)

As of today a newer version (revision 134) of this mutator got white-listed.

Change log:
  • Unfortunately there was a bug in the recently white-listed ReservedSlots mutator, which made all bots to stay at one team. This new version solves that bug.
  • It also includes a new feature where the server admin can set an expiration date for the member subscription (the idea came from Cat_in_da_Hat).
  • An other minor change is the layout on the web-admin. Now the default tab is the members tab. Before it was the settings tab.

The download link of this newer version can be found in the OP of this thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The download available does not have a ROReservedslots.ini file included. While I just took and made a copy of the default one and renamed it, some new admins may wonder if they are missing something while following the installation instructions. In the same vein ServerEX's installation instructions does not show a ROServerEX.ini and just the default one with the download also not including a ROServerEX.ini file.

This is unless I missed something and only the default is used now with the webadmin being used for adjusting?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The download available does not have a ROReservedslots.ini file included. While I just took and made a copy of the default one and renamed it, some new admins may wonder if they are missing something while following the installation instructions. In the same vein ServerEX's installation instructions does not show a ROServerEX.ini and just the default one with the download also not including a ROServerEX.ini file.

This is unless I missed something and only the default is used now with the webadmin being used for adjusting?

When the mutator starts if there is no .ini one will be create. So for a new admin, they will get a fresh out of the box .ini based on the default ini.

Yup, Cat is correct. If a RO***.ini file isn't present, then the RO2 engine will automatically create one by using the default***.ini file as a template.

In this case the ROReservedSlots.ini file is missing to prevent that people overwrite them and lose all players from their member list. In the old version the member list is stored in that ini file. The new mutator version will convert those members to a ROReservedSlotsMembers.ini file by reading them from the original ROReservedSlots.ini file. Next it deletes them from the ROReservedSlots.ini file. This way the members list doesn't get lost. That conversion wouldn't work if the mutator came with a ROReservedSlots.ini file, because then all members would be deleted due to the overwrite action.

This "losing members" problem will not be there anymore for any future update of this mutator, because this new version does use a separate ini file to maintain the members. That file will never be included in the mutator download package.

Upvote 0
<ExpirationTime> ingame does not show.

I did a fresh installation of the mutator including the configuration files to test this.
This is what it says in my ROReservedSlots.ini file:
Code:
SubscriptionAlmostExpiredMessage=Your privileged member subscription will expire within <ExpirationTime>.

And this is what I see in-game:
ExpirationTime.png

Please check the correct spelling of that substitution macro or send me your ROReservedSlots.ini and ROReservedSlotsMembers.ini files. Then I can load them on my server and check it myself.

Upvote 0
Thank you.
We have this Mutator running on. Now i have a important Question about Compensate Pre Reserved Slots.

1. I noticed that when it was enabled our Server always was setted up to 34 Slots and nobody could join cause we have a 32 Slot Server. This happends automatically cause he overwrites it all the time. I`m not sure if I set something wrong on this Feature cause i`m not sure what exactly it does. I Can only guess.
What i guess is that i can set something like a Limit for a Player Idle Time and a Ping Time so that the Mutator can choice a Player who is above these Settings and will kick him.
Did i set something wrong?

2. Latency
I don`t know what this is. What will happen with the Clan Tags and the Members?

http://www.44id.de/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you.
We have this Mutator running on. Now i have a important Question about Compensate Pre Reserved Slots.

1. I noticed that when it was enabled our Server always was setted up to 34 Slots and nobody could join cause we have a 32 Slot Server. This happends automatically cause he overwrites it all the time. I`m not sure if I set something wrong on this Feature cause i`m not sure what exactly it does. I Can only guess.
What i guess is that i can set something like a Limit for a Player Idle Time and a Ping Time so that the Mutator can choice a Player who is above these Settings and will kick him.
Did i set something wrong?

The ReservedSlots mutator can only work if players are allowed to join the server. If for instance your max-players is set to 32, then normally 32 players can join. The 33th player will never be able to join. This would cause the ReservedSlots mutator to fail, because the player must at least be able to join to the server. For this reason the ReservedSlots mutator locks a minimum of 2 slots of your server. Thus your server will not allow more than 30 players. Those 2 locked slots allow players to join the server 9because the server browser does see that your server still has 2 free slots) and allows the mutator to deside if the player may or may not stay.

All together you will lose 2 slots due to this mutator. The Compensate Pre Reserved Slots option will undo that. What it does is secretly allocating 2 extra slots. Thus your server will become a 34 slots server. 2 of those slots will be locked by the mutator (to allow players to connect) and as a result no more than 32 players can play on your server.

The Compensate Pre Reserved Slots option does not work for 64 slots servers, because RO2 clips the server slots to 64 at all times.

2. Latency
I don`t know what this is. What will happen with the Clan Tags and the Members?

Those settings are left overs from older versions of this mutator. Some servers still use the clan tag setting, because it does not require adding players to the list. The draw-back is that any fool can then simply update his name with that tag to get a slot on that server.

Those latency settings will stay in the mutator to guarantee backwards compatibility.

Upvote 0
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :confused::confused::confused: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Sounds crazy...

Ok works with loading maxplayers=30 in the URL. Thank you.

Last Question:
We used "privileged Player"-Feature and have 8 Guys placed in there and told your Mutator that he has to kick when the Server is full. We don`t need to activate 8 "Reserved Slots"-Feature for getting the "previleged Player"-Feature up to work? Is this right? Or do we have to? I

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have been thinking on how to work around the 2 slots claim and came up with this idea:
  • The mutator shall allow all 64 slots to fill up with a mix of public players and members.
  • The mutator shall not allow public players to join as a spectator. Only members shall be allowed to join as a spectator.
  • The mutator shall kick a public players if a member joins as a spectator and the server is full.
  • The mutator shall release this reserved member slot (see bullet 3) if the member does not take it within 3 minutes (in case the member stays in spectator mode for more than 3 minutes).

With above behavior changes:
If server is full (64 players on a 64 slots server), then members can join as a spectator from out of the server browser. If they do so, then a public player shall be kicked from the server. The slot of the kicked player shall stay available for the member for about 3 minutes long. He can then take it on the team selection screen and joins the server as a player, or he stays on as a spectator which shall release his reserved slot and by that allows a public player to take it.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Maybe a dumb question Ducky, but is joining a server as a spectator any different than joining the normal way ?

Nope. If you have a 64 slots server and you set it up to have 2 spectator slots, then 64 players can be online together with 2 spectators. The spectator slots are not eaten away from the normal "player" slots. With my proposal those spectator slots will be used to allow members to join while the server is full. That would not work on older RO2 releases, because before a spectator could not join as a player, but that did change for a few months back and now gives us this handy backdoor.

For the mutator code it doesn't actually matter if a person joins as a player or as a spectator. It follows the same route in the mutator. The only thing I need to add is releasing the reserved slot if the member does not start playing within 3 minutes (will probably make that time limit configurable).

Upvote 0