• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF [MUTATOR] Player Cameras

Alex_KF

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006
Why hullo there peoples. I've been working on a mutator for KF that I wanted to share.

What is it?

It is a mutator which attaches cameras to every player and lets you view their camera feed through a window on your HUD. Think Aliens during the Hive scene :)

Why did I make this?

This mutator started as a little experiment to see if it was possible to render scripted textures directly on the player's HUD. Turns out, it is (with a number of caveats). It also turned out to be an interesting netcode challenge which exposed a couple flaws in the way UE2 treats actor relevance.

How to I install it?

1. 'Subscribe' to the mod on Steam workshop.
2. Load up KF and let the mod download
3. Restart KF
4. Click 'Solo' or 'Host' server and click on the 'Mutators' tab
5. Add the 'Shoulder cams' mutator.
6. Click 'Configure' to configure the mutator to your liking.
7. Start a map.

Workshop Link :

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=174521290

Last edited:
I can see a certain *cough* Aliens themed mod making nice use of this bad boy, if it isn't already. ;)

I tried that to make it work on my server, but correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't work on custom HUDs ? Like the Scrn and AKF hud. Actually I couldn't make it work even when disabling the custom huds but at least I could see the box (that was a week ago or so)

Upvote 0
I had this working with server perks, but removed it because it caused lag for people that didn't have the best systems. Plus, it would cause crashes more often. Usually one crash per client a day at least. I even added to where the cam could be turned off(minimized) client side, but it still for some reason lagged clients video, or at least some players said it did. Also, on certain map lighting, the cam would Spam across the screen or flicker across the screen from time to time. Didn't really bother me, it was kinda realistic to what a video camera would do in the middle of a battle. :p I would like to add it back, but again, it seems to lag players... So, guess it's a no go :(

Upvote 0