• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Mutator] Operation Dark Cell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about monster AI.
Will it be like a killing floor, where they simply follow you and attack on reach?
Or more like old games(take Tyrants from RE:Outbreak, they acted very randomly and it was not a simple repeative following n attacking).

Its the standard chase you down and kill you routine that every horror game has.

The thing is, you have to take into consideration that each creature has its own strength, speed and health. They're not all exactly the same thing with a different skin.

Take Mr X for example, he is a beefed up super soldier that wants to knock your head off. His mutation, the T103, is an out of control rampage machine that will hit anything that moves.

So right there you have a calculated enemy that waits for its moment to strike, and an enemy that just runs around hitting anything that moves.

And thats just two enemies from a list of 40.

I seriously doubt you are going to struggle to have fun, and if you find that you can't have fun with the RE mod, then you're a spoiled brat :p

Quite honestly, I don't think you'll even have time to notice what you're shooting at, with the variations in speed, it makes for a very different experience than the Zeds do in Killing Floor.

I think I can count 6 maybe 7 creatures that just walk, the rest either start running or will begin to run.

Last edited:
Reactions: FluX
Upvote 0
Also I noticed one thing about most of your screenies. The interriors are very empty. Planning to do something on that or it will stay that way?

The map you saw in the Tyrant screenshots is not a map that is being released with the mod :).

As for the Operation Dark Cell map a few pages back, the version shown is a very early staged beta version, most of the area's have been hit by armageddon now. :D

Reactions: Meatwadjenkins
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You may have just set the mod back a few weeks
WHAT?!
They're going to kill me! What to say, I am going to kill myself for this:IS2::eek:
P.S.: Don't get too excited. Guy did an amazing job, still he worked alone and things like gameplay are pretty weak. I could cut down entire room filled with zombies by just standing in place and stabbing with knife infront of myself. And animations are awful. But level design, it's probably best of all time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
WHAT?!
They're going to kill me! What to say, I am going to kill myself for this:IS2::eek:
P.S.: Don't get too excited. Guy did an amazing job, still he worked alone and things like gameplay are pretty weak. I could cut down entire room filled with zombies by just standing in place and stabbing with knife infront of myself. And animations are awful. But level design, it's probably best of all time.

I wont be taking anything from gameplay, the gameplay for KF is already set up nicely. The only thing I'd take inspiration from is the level design, the apocalyptic look is beautiful.

So all I'd be doing is rethinking the lighting and textures of my levels :p

Hey my 500th post

Last edited:
Reactions: Meatwadjenkins
Upvote 0
Give us an update, whats happening, huh how why?

Well ladies and Gents today comes with good and crippling news.

I'll start with the good.

All of the RE Creatures have been placed into the game, they all work perfect and are close to being ready to be shipped.

Now the bad.

The RE models have different bone structures from KF, and thus have had to have had new Karma Data created for their ragdolls.

Now, although if you download the mod directly and get all the files, there isn't a problem.

But because most people download the content through KF itself, we have a major problem.

See, Karma data cannot be transferred through KF. It has to be manually downloaded and manually put into the Karma folder.

The problem this causes is that, without the Karma data for Ragdolls, upon death, the creatures just freeze and become an annoying blocking object.

Now the genius that is Marco had the very same problem with Doom 3, he was able to divert the ragdoll death and put it into an animation to make it work online.

So the Doom 3 method was instead of having a Ragdoll death, it played a death animation and then the creature disappeared.

Sadly as much as I have tried, I can't get Marco's Doom 3 code to work. No matter what I do, it insists on trying to find the ragdoll, and if it can't find it, it just freezes the creature in question.

The plot thickens, Marco has blocked all forms of contact on the forums, therefore asking for assistance is out of the question.

So where does that leave us.

It leaves us with an epic mod, waiting to be unleashed onto the KF world, that wont work properly online, which just defeats the point of having it in the first place.

As it stands, until I can find a fix, the Resident Evil mod has come to a halt.

Until further notice...

Hunter-

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What's the problem exactly?
Who the hell is going to download this entire mod through KF?

Karma .ka files can't be downloaded off servers like maps and mods. These files are required for the dead specimens to have their 'rag doll physics' when they die, however since Karma files can't be sent over a server, the model(The specimen that died) will just freeze in its last animation frame upon death.

This would mean players would have to download and install the mod manually[for the karma files within] on their own time for the mod to work as intended.

Upvote 0
This would mean players would have to download and install the mod manually[for the karma files within] on their own time for the mod to work as intended.

This is how custom content in games used to be distributed, are people that lazy nowadays? Servers running the mod could have a serverad directing players to a download link (would only need to be the karma files not a full distro)

Most people who would run this mod would filter it through there communities that a DL is required to play it to its fullest, a server ad will help out the non lazy randoms that join in.

Or, hope Marco spots that his help is needed :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.